BC Boards

Looking for a Companion

I'm in Georgia, but I don't mind driving to pick up a pup from surrounding states. No preference for sex, rough coat is a must, and I have a weakness for blue merles but color isn't that important to me. Really, my biggest concern is that I'm getting a well socialized dog who's appropriate for a non working home.

I think most people make a distinction between adopting and purchasing, with the former considered going through a rescue or shelter.

Not all rescues will have blanket policies against apartment dwellers, fenced yards, etc. Some will evaluate on a case by case basis, considering applicants' ability to provide proper care and exercise. In some situations, people with homes, large fenced yards, farms, etc. might not be suitable adopters if they don't plan to provide a suitable lifestyle for a dog. I've reviewed a lot of apps that had great real estate but nothing else to contribute, like supervision, training, outlet for energy, etc. ;)

What I'm saying is not to necessarily give up on rescues. Keep looking into any that cover your area and maybe ask up front if they have universal exclusions like that before wasting your time filling out an app.

How far are you willing to travel? I know of a sweet woman in Kentucky who specifically advertises that her border collies are great as service dogs and companions. In the past she's had litters of blue merles, black and whites, red and whites, and blue and whites, and her prices are very reasonable.

I know of a sweet woman in Kentucky who specifically advertises that her border collies are great as service dogs and companions. In the past she's had litters of blue merles, black and whites, red and whites, and blue and whites...

From the description, this doesn't sound like the type pf breeder we support here, which is working herding dogs.

From the description, this doesn't sound like the type pf breeder we support here, which is working herding dogs.

She does breed working herding dogs too (her dogs are all active working except for the one who is an excellent service dog for her brother), but if the variation from that is out of line I apologize.

To save yourself a lot of confusion, and to get a handle on the "only working-bred dogs" thing, go to the "General Border Collie Discussion" forum and click on the "read this first" text at the top of the page. It explains all that and more, in a brief, informative way. Most of us here feel very strongly about this.

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I actually happened to call a breeder in Mississippi yesterday, and she's getting one of her dogs back from a family who didn't treat him well (he's now blind in one eye from an injury they left untreated :angry: ). Depending on what the vet says, I may get to bring him home for a life of playtime and lots of much needed love. Fingers crossed!

If that doesn't work out, I'm open to going to Statesboro (or Kentucky). Do you know if they're ok with their dogs going to companion homes? It seems like some breeders are pretty against that, and I don't want to step on any toes.

Hmmmm...it's actually fairly unusual for the right type of working breeder to be breeding for colors like blue merle and blue. While those colors certainly exist, someone who is actively selecting for them is likely placing emphasis on traits that have nothing to do with work. But without knowing what type of work her dogs are actually doing, I'd steer clear just on the basis of the list of colors (and don't get me wrong--I love a red dog, but I don't happen to have a red dog now because my first, and really only, criterion when getting a pup is potential working ability. The cosmetic stuff comes way after that.).

J.

She does breed working herding dogs too (her dogs are all active working except for the one who is an excellent service dog for her brother), but if the variation from that is out of line I apologize.