BC Boards

AKC to allow mixed breeds in competitions

Rave

I can sorta understand why they are in separate classes. If they all competed together what to stop people from breeding sports dogs for agility like they do with flyball(border- jacks/Staffordshire Bull terrier/mixes or aussie mixs). AKC is suppose to promote purebreds. (does that make sense)

How would separate classes prevent sports breeding? It's already happening. Honestly, I am not sure that I think breeding designer crosses for sports is any worse than breeding purebred Border Collies for sports, all else being equal.

How would separate classes prevent sports breeding? It's already happening. Honestly, I am not sure that I think breeding designer crosses for sports is any worse than breeding purebred Border Collies for sports, all else being equal.

:rolleyes: AKC is suppose to represent purebred dogs.

I am sure other people can get more in-dept then I can. LOL I didn't even realize there was sport designer dogs till I ran across a website that had was breeding border collie/bull terriers and they had a mini aussie/bull terrier mix. And then on another board a person was talking about getting a border jack mix...

So, if AKC is supposed to advocate only purebred dogs, why allow mixes in at all? It doesn't make any sense given their purview... oh yeah, I forgot. They want money! How silly of me.

There really is no way, logically, for AKC to include mixes in any events, given their mission statement (other than the ones that get in via ILP, heh).

And if people are going to breed for sport, they are going to do it rather they are competing with mix breeds or not. They are not preventing a problem by discriminating against mutts, they are just making it a bigger one and are adding fuel to the fire.

AKC is just a keeper of records and hosts events, so everything claims, right? They cannot really control what people are breeding for either, right?

They are scared that more people will look at rescuing a MUTT rather then buying their PUREBREDS. They are scared of the money they will lose.

If they make MUTTS their own class, they are still making money off of them but are still sending a clear message that PUREBRED is the way to go, that the AKC is the only way to go.

Funny how the AKC group always changes their defences when things change and people call them on it.

Sorry, mutt or purebred, the AKC will never even get the honor to know my dogs names.

Katelynn

In Australia we have had mixed, working registry and non-registered purebreds dogs competing in our ANKC sporting events for decades, depending on which state you lived in. When non ANKC dogs were first allowed to compete in NSW (about 25 years ago) there were 2 registries, -the ANKC for their purebreds and the supplementary register for all others (who had to be desexed) and the dogs competed in seperate classes.

About 15 years ago in NSW it was voted to allow all dogs to compete together and about that time a 3rd reistry was formed. We now have the ANKC main and limited register dogs, associate register (AR) who have to be desexed and the sporting register (SR) for BCs, Kelpies and Koolioes registered with one of the working registries and they can be entire. I think most other states are similar except QLD who will only let you register 2 AR dogs in your lifetime. The only time they AR can't compete is in conformation and in agilty, obedience etc is at breed specialties. At the recent BC nationals SR dogs competed in the performance. Niether the SR or the AR can compete in conformation.

While we are a lot smaller country and so do not have the numbers competing in performance events that you would in the US the practice of allowing all the dogs to compete together does not seem to have led to specific breeding of crossbreds for performance. Nor has it led to many people breeding working registry dogs for sports (the ANKC does not allow any of our working registry dogs to be put on their main register and only registers them individually for sports). There are people who breed their ANKC borders specifically for sports and a one or two who breed from stock that can be dual ISDS/ABCA/ANKC registered but that does not impact at all on the working BCs.

I personally have nothing against competing against any type of dog in performance and it does give me the oportunity to compete with any cdrossbred/rescue I may have.

I should probably add that for agilty we only have ANKC or ADAC (all dogs can compete) and obedience and tracking only the ANKC events.

Just going to add to what Janba posted - some states have ADAC available, we only have ANKC agility available where I live. Our state has only recently introduced the requirement of desexing an AR registered dogs.

Has SA recently introduced the SR?

I should also have said that while the ANKC controls the main and limited registries the individual states maintain their own SR and AR registries but dogs can compete in any state under that registration.

No idea if SA has a SR or not. I have one of mine on AR (she has show parents but litter wasn't registered, not compulsory in our state so only dogs her breeder showed were registered and especially 9 years ago when we got her). My youngster is on the limited register.

In Australia we have had mixed, working registry and non-registered purebreds dogs competing in our ANKC sporting events for decades, depending on which state you lived in. When non ANKC dogs were first allowed to compete in NSW (about 25 years ago) there were 2 registries, -the ANKC for their purebreds and the supplementary register for all others (who had to be desexed) and the dogs competed in seperate classes.

In the UK any dog can compete in any KC event except field trials which are for purebred gun dogs. Eligibility for classes is on merit only, except in the odd special class.

My daughter was in a medium dog team at Crufts this year that consisted of a rescue Patterdale (not recognised as a breed by our KC), rescue mongrel and 2 crossbreeds from accidental litters.

We too have 2 registries - the normal one for pedigree dogs and an activity register for the rest. No requirement for neutering at all.

I think that has always been the case - certainly for over 45 years to my own knowledge.

Our KC may have its failings (and boy does it) but it stacks up pretty well in equal treatment for sports dogs.

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it will affect flyball folks unless AKC jumps into that arena in the future. (whispers) lucky ducks!

I got into a rather heated discussion about this with a fellow agility classmate on Thursday. She was trying to say this new mixed breed class is the same as USDAA separating out Performance and Championship and didn't seem to quite get the major difference: in USDAA you **choose** to be in either class. :rolleyes: Bah HUMBUG!

I got into a rather heated discussion about this with a fellow agility classmate on Thursday. She was trying to say this new mixed breed class is the same as USDAA separating out Performance and Championship and didn't seem to quite get the major difference: in USDAA you **choose** to be in either class. :rolleyes: Bah HUMBUG!

I've heard that, too. It is different. I run Maddie in Enthusiast in CPE so she can jump 16. But that is my choice. I could make her jump 20 if I really wanted her to run in the same class with most dogs of her height. (Long story why we don't do Vets, but yes, we could run in Vets and do 16).

I wouldn't really do this, but I think it would be funny if a group of people started running unregistered purebreds in the mixed breed class. Not even try for a PAL - just pop the dog right in with the mixes. The reason - to run in the class that is open to all types of dogs.

I like how you think Kristine!! It would be rather amusing if the PAL program lost momentum because of the mixed breed program *and* they ended up with the dreaded mixing of mixes and purebreds. :rolleyes: