BC Boards

ARRGGGG!!!!!

Screwed by work again!!!

I do not have enough vacation to go to the finals and go to trials during the week (except for one planned trip). So...... Borders is only having Open on the weekend (no USBCHA Nursery) and now I find out Seclusival may not have Nusery on the weekend. So how do I get my dog(s) qualified AND be able to go to the finals? :mad: Not to mention I won't have anything to do on the weekends.

Mark

move your nursery dog to Open (takes care of nothing to do on the weekend), place in the top 20% X 2 and you will be automatically qualified. Everyone will be envious. Sell the dog for mucho bucks, buy that large farm you want!

What could be easier :rolleyes:

Nancy O

Hmmm...I'm thinking of moving my ranch dog up to open for the same reason--not enough time to take half a week off to run in the lower classes (and it's not so much lack of vacation as too much work--which still has to be done whether I take vacation or not). So what if she's not got a good shed (or hardly any shed) and open entries are nearly double what they are for ranch. I guess I may just become one of those people who go to almost no trials. But then I suppose I can use what I save on entry fees to finally get my own sheep. (Is that a bright side?)

J.

What happened to all the wonderful novice series people were having? I'm having the same problem, have ranch dog, can't travel on weekdays! Plus an added dimension that further limits my choices, I can only go places where the kids are welcome.

I know where one series went (duh) but what about all the others?

Maybe when people offer novice trials we should not only enter them, but send cards and letters of encouragement! :rolleyes: I know a lot of people get discouraged because they hear a lot of complaints but not much gratitude.

Rebecca,

Sherry Smith in MD had a great Novice series this winter. It was a really nice atmosphere in which to run the young dogs. Weather wasn't too bad, especially considering it was a Long Shot trial, which is notorious for horrible weather for Sherry's main trial which is held at the end of this month. Sherry was able to run Nursery at all 3 of the trials, along with the novice classes and some noncompete runs as daylight allowed.

Nancy O

Hey mark -

I'm still tossing around the idea of having a couple of little Nursery trials this summer. Like 20 dog limit, that sort of thing. Just have to wait on lambs to get born and weaned and such. I'd like to see other folks do the same thing. Just small, informal, get the young dogs out kinds of trials.

You'll get qualified with Peg, no trouble.

Assuming the Hop Bottom Nursery trial will be held next weekend, we'll be heading up there instead of Verna's.

Nancy, Sherry's trials all fell on dates we had other plans (like a meeting with our tax preparer last Saturday).

Robin, Renee and I have talked about having something at our place but we think it's too small with only a 100-120yd outrun and parking for about 6-8 vehicles.

Mark

It wouldn't be much bigger than that at my place probably. The outrun would be a little bigger than that, but the field can be pretty tricky to set up. Sheep would be nice but i won't have all that many. No parking for campers to speak of though. It would be very informal. We'll see once i get through lambing. I'm sure we could do something at Sam's too once she gets settled and there's plenty of room there.

Mark,

have you heard if Cheryl is still planning on the trial next weekend?

I won't be going, my husband is in Maui, poor man :cool: , visiting our son.

Is Peg a 2 year nursery dog? I thought when I saw her in the fall, that she was quite young.

Nancy O

Nancy,

The last time I asked Cheryl, earlier this week or the end of last, it was dependent upon Mary and the snow cover on the field. Cheryl and Dick are on their way home but I don't know what the field looks like.

Peg is eligible this year (not next), I bought her from Tommy last fall (just after the finals) and we put it together this winter. We were 3rd the first day of Nursery at Edgeworth (2 pts out of 3rd). Jody just turned 1 and may be ready to run Nursery towards the end of the season. I'd love it if she was ready and qualified for this year too.

Mark

Renee's been doing well with Starr, hopefully she will get enough points to be able to run Starr at the finals.

Hmm, 2 nursery and 1 open dog to run in the finals, definitely would be worth the trip.

Nancy O

Can't do it. I don't have 2 weeks of vacation to go to both the Open and Nursery finals. :mad:

Makes us wonder why we continue to pay USBCHA dues when the benifits are almost always too far away to enjoy. Since it takes a minimum of 2 days to drive and with the way the finals are scheduled (starting mid week and ending mid week) we need 2 full weeks to do both. We can't fly ($$$$); we'd have to take all our dogs, one of us would have to stay home, or we'd have to pay someone to watch the other dogs ($$$$).

Mark

Mark: Please don't talk that way. I prefer it the way it is. The farther away the Finals are, the better.

I pay my dues, I qualify my dog, and then I say :"I would LOVE to go clean up at the Finals, but, darn it, I can't get away." This saves me enormous amounts of pride and self-respect. Please don't spoil it for me.

charlie torre

Hey Mark,

I'm always happy to farm sit for no money, not even beer money.

Of course, by the beginning of August I'll be a bit far away.

I'm not sure what area of biochem you're in, but there seem to be a lot of related job opportunities outside of Philadelphia and around Princeton, and both are nice places to live with lots of trialing opporunities within not-too-far of a drive.

I don't blame you for wanting to move. I really like NoVA and grew up there, and it's a great place to live for someone who wants a suburban lifestyle. But, there's no way I could afford to live where my mother does now (we moved there in the late 1970s, the house is worth at least three or four times the amount it was when we bought it), and the thought I'd entertained of someday moving to Loudon County in order to be near my family and all the GOOD DC/metro stuff (i.e., culture) and yet have some space for dogs and sheep has been totally tanked by the new development developments. Bastards.

Vicious circle = need $$ to do things one loves to do > need work to have $$ to do things one loves to do > need to live near enough to work not to spend so much time commuting that none is left over to do things one loves to do > living near enough to work ... means higher expenses, less chance of having farm of one's dreams and time to actually work on and enjoy it > all of which goes back 'round to needing work to have $$ to do things one loves to do. Wow, now I've really succeeded in depressing myself.

And you're right Mark. I renewed by USBCHA membership and probably have enough points to go to finals, but certainly not enough time or $$, so what was the point? Oh, I guess it because I figure it's one small way of supporting what we all love so much -- the dogs.

J.

Ah charlie, a man after my own heart, as i sit here at my desk at Dook (Duke).

Julie - almost every morning, when i put Belle in her crate before leaving to come to work, i repeat my mantra to her "gotta go to work, make money, to buy dog food". :rolleyes: I'm one of the lucky ones though, tons of vacation time, a 30 minute commute and a nice little farm with sheep to train dogs on. I thank my lucky stars lots of times!

Oh the laments!

I've worked out a little farm, a flock of sheep, my own business, but with 3 kids, (2 in college, and one in middle school,) I'm strapped for money and time too. I'm chalking it up to that 10 year apprenticeship I read about when I got into this 7 years ago! If I can still lift a bale by the time I'm free enough to persue this passion, maybe I'll be good at it. For now, it's just a few trials a year for me. I spend my time trying to train my dogs to their full potential. It's about achieving our personal best.

Jeanne

Snowshoe, WV