Battling the AKC

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 concrete

concrete

• Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

Dogs don't need to be registered to run in USBCHA sanctioned trials. You can feel free to run all the conformation champions you want in open trials .

Kevin Brannon
Kevin Brannon
Clear Crossing Farm
Frazeysburg, Ohio

#22 Bill Fosher

Bill Fosher

Shepherd in the woods

• Registered Users
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:38 AM

In addition to needing to learn how to spell conformation, I think that Brilliant Dawn Border collies needs to learn quite a bit about the ABCA's policies and what a working Border collie is all about.

First of all, the ABCA has never claimed that it would pull ABCA papers on a dog that is also registered with the AKC. The latest step it has taken is that if a dual-registered dog is an AKC champion, its offspring will not be registered.

Second, the ABCA, and indeed the working dog community at large in North America, never asked for the AKC to recognize the breed. So don't tell me that the ABCA is causing the problem -- if the AKC had not tried to hijack the breed, there would be no issue.

Third, as Kevin has pointed, there is no requirement for any registration whatsoever for dogs to compete in open trials. They don't even have to be border collies. Anytime you'd like to show the world how smart your "borders" are, all you need is $30 to $50 and an entry blank. There's a schedule of sanctioned trials at http://www.usbcha.com

Prove us wrong.

#23 blackacre

blackacre

• Registered Users
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:42 AM

I my self also breed for herding instinct my dogs can do it all.

Where are you in Ontario Brilliant Dawn? Do you have a name of your own? I'm wondering whether I've run into you at any of the trials up here.

Andrea

#24 Tuck's BCBuddy

Tuck's BCBuddy

• Registered Users
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:55 AM

Question for Brilliant Dawn:

How many years of catechism classes were required before the dogs went through confirmation?

It is pretty daggone amazing that your dogs were able to do this. Hmm, might explain the holier than thou perception you have your dogs.

#25 Rave

Rave

• Registered Users
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:00 AM

Andrea, I believe it's on her website, located on her profile. I had to stop reading, one of my pet peeves is bad spelling. :eek:
I think all of you must be on her site now though, as I can't get back on...LOL.

-Laura

#26 sea4th

sea4th

• Registered Users
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:06 AM

It really is simple, isn't it?--to put one's money where one's mouth is. It would settle a lot of arguments if them barbie collies would git out there and show us all, once and for all. I wish they would. These heated debates are exhausting.

Bad grammar and bad spelling irk me to no end. I just can't take anyone seriously if they take the time to write a rebuttal and you're distracted from the content trying to get past misspelled words and bad grammar. OK, so maybe I'm a reincarnated school marm, but man, that does bug the hell out of me.

I think Brillian Dawn has A LOT to learn. Bottom line is, take up the challenge. Get your conformation bred dogs out in an open trial field and prove every one here wrong.

If for no other reason, do it for me. I'm getting tired just thinking of another heated debate.

Vicki
Vicki
"For the Love of Pete"
Think Dog

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise"

Our Dogs Past & Present:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/18267

#27 Bill Fosher

Bill Fosher

Shepherd in the woods

• Registered Users
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:21 AM

This from her website: "We started raising Border Collies in 2001."

Now there you go. She has at least two years of experience -- maybe even three. I guess she has us all beat. I didn't realize that we were dealing with such an established, experienced person.

#28 Denise Wall

Denise Wall

• Registered Users
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:26 AM

Brilliant Dawn,

It takes more than just saying and wanting to believe it's so.

Playboy Model Denise

(how do you guys like my new moniker?)
Denise Wall
Stilhope

#29 PennyT

PennyT

• Registered Users
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:48 AM

There is something fishy about all that horrible spelling and grammar. I wonder if the post isn't intentionally written that way. There is a hoax-like quality to its tenor.

Penny

#30 Oreo's mom

Oreo's mom

• Registered Users
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:53 AM

And when I just checked out the site, only the "cutesy photos" were available for viewing.

I did also notice "bordercollie" run together as one word several places, too. :rolleyes:

#31 Denise Wall

Denise Wall

• Registered Users
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:01 AM

It's been pointed out to me by private email that if I'm going to shoot for the stars, I should go for it.

Therefore,

SUPER Model Denise
Denise Wall
Stilhope

#32 kajarrel

kajarrel

• Registered Users
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:02 AM

I'm not so sure - they're listed here too:

Pup City

Kim

Denise,
You crack me up!

#33 cgt

cgt

• Registered Users
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:05 AM

Denise:

Put your pixels where your mouth is. How about some photos to back up your claims? Do you also go out in your underwear to work dogs like a certain other young and accomplished handler? Yikes!

charlie

#34 Shoofly

Shoofly

• Registered Users
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:10 AM

Hmm, so if we're going to continue in this vein, can i be National Finals Winner Robin? :rolleyes:
-- Robin French
Shoofly Farm, Oxford NC

#35 Denise Wall

Denise Wall

• Registered Users
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:32 AM

Put your pixels where your mouth is. How about some photos to back up your claims? Do you also go out in your underwear to work dogs like a certain other young and accomplished handler? Yikes!

Reality check to Denise. It always ruins things when people want proof.

Charlie, at my age, even my keen dogs would run away if they saw me in my underwear. Here's a pic that says it all about my stage of life right now (both images me BTW):

Posted Image
Denise Wall
Stilhope

#36 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:working sheepdogs, agility, behavior and training, rescue

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:54 AM

Brilliant Dawn doesn't look like much shakes as a conformation breeder, either. I'm quite familiar with the culture of the "dog fancy" world from friends in other breeds. Every dog on the website is home-bred, there are no titles or accomplishments listed or any other information someone looking for a quality Barbie Collie would want.

I find it curious that a breeder who claims to breed for temperament would have multiple litters of puppies from a bitch who is good with "ppl" [sic] but uncomfortable in new situations.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else here -- I'm perfectly willing to tip my hat to any Barbie Collie who can compete on the Open field with the best of them. If there are indeed all these conformation dogs out there who can "herd" the pants off working Border Collies you'd think someone would have seen some, somewhere. Don't be shy!

-- Mrs. Lance Armstrong
Melanie, Solo the Red, Superfly, and Jett Girl
My homepage
My photos on Flickr
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

#37 DonH105

DonH105

• Registered Users
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:55 AM

Brillant Dawn,

"Use to be I could not spell breader, but now I are one."

If you had not done so much work on your web site, I would have said you are nothing but an elaborate hoax designed to raise the ire of this forum. You are just the kind of well meaning idiot that could ruin the breed.

Why does your web site not give any background on the herding abilities of your dogs? How do you breed for herding ability? I consider the breeder from whom I got my border collie/kelpe mix to be just barely a reputable border collie breeder.

http://www.herdevery....org/index.html

Compare your enterprise to hers. You really are a "barbie collie" breeder, not a border collie breeder. Try to think about it, for the good of the breed.

#38 Bill Fosher

Bill Fosher

Shepherd in the woods

• Registered Users
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:21 AM

As usual, I think both Denise and Melanie are selling themselves short.

Living where I do, and bracing for the Return of the Co-eds over the next couple of weeks, let me just say that there is a certain beauty that comes with wisdom.

And I'm not so sure that being Mrs. Lance Armstrong is something to aspire to. Do you really want to be jilted for the second skankiest female pop figure in the world (Courtney Love being the first)?

#39 PennyT

PennyT

• Registered Users
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

Brilliant Dawn, how old are you?

Penny

#40 sea4th

sea4th

• Registered Users
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:54 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe more time should be spent doing homework rather than making decisions about where this breed is headed. That's a big responsibility for an adult to undertake, much less a kid.

Yawn. Is it time for my happy nappy?

Vicki
Vicki
"For the Love of Pete"
Think Dog

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise"

Our Dogs Past & Present:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/18267

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.