BC Boards

Second Dog (Border Compatibility)

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

I searched the topics and did some keywording but could not find a topic that would answer my question. So here it is. In about a year from now I have decided to get add another dog into my current pack. Note this is all dependant on how well trained Freckles has become in addition with our own living situation. If everything is ideal, besides getting a BC puppy, would the following possible dogs have good natural compatibility with a Border Collie? Note these would all be male additions.

1. German Shorthair

2. Weimeraner

3. Labrador (Chocolate)

4. Australian Shepherd

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Wimeys :rolleyes:

Some BC's have issues with Labs because of the different play style, some do not, I would suggest that you expose Frecks to all the breeds you are interested in and see which one she responds best to.

Needless to say... Shelby pretty much has disdain for all herding types of dogs....

(am I using disdain correctly?)

Guest LJS1993
I love Wimeys :rolleyes:

Some BC's have issues with Labs because of the different play style, some do not, I would suggest that you expose Frecks to all the breeds you are interested in and see which one she responds best to.

Needless to say... Shelby pretty much has disdain for all herding types of dogs....

(am I using disdain correctly?)

Well our plan is to take Frek with us to basically meet the possible adoptee. My fiance has some grand idea to basically ask Frek, "what do you think"? Sniff, sniff, maybe even, lick, lick, then see what happens. I take the more logical approach, that being what is scientifically compatible, and let us as pack leaders, more like me of course, but either way let us bring the pack together.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

what if she decides the dog YOU pick has a butt that smells funny?? Huh? THen what?? You may wear the pants but baby I picked the color. (People who cannot cook shouldnt talk smack to those who can they tend to get hungry) And for the love of dog let these people decide for them selfs my level of insanity...quit coaching them HAHAHAHAHA

I consider the pointing breeds incompatible because they have as much energy as Border Collies and none of the biddability. Therefore, I have a hard time conceiving how I would have these types of dogs together. When I lived in Philadelphia the only people who were at the local park as often as I was either had Border Collies, or some sort of pointing dog (Weim, GSP, etc.). These dogs have energy to burn, but the difference is that they don't listen to anything you say, including "come" or "here."

The only guy I've seen here in San Francisco with pointers has three GSPs, and he has shock collars on all of them because otherwise he can't get them to come when called. He may just be a crappy trainer but from what I've seen it is difficult to train a reliable recall on these dogs.

I rely on public parks to exercise my dogs so a very active dog without a reliable recall is out of the question for me. That means no GSPs, no Sibes, etc. If you have securely fenced acreage this may not be an issue for you. Still, I'd choose the Aussie out of the four breeds you listed, if I had to pick something other than a Border Collie. That said, to me, there is no reason to choose a non-Border Collie, but I'm weird that way.

Well our plan is to take Frek with us to basically meet the possible adoptee. My fiance has some grand idea to basically ask Frek, "what do you think"? Sniff, sniff, maybe even, lick, lick, then see what happens.

Well, I'm a science teacher and live by logic, and I'm also a woman and might be siding with my own gender, but I think the "let 'em meet" way is the best one. My dog LOVES one dog in twenty or so. You can see cartoon hearts bubbling up out of him when he meets these special dogs. If I could find one of those guys (yes, I'm 99% sure my dog is gay) at the pound, I'd be much more comfortable about bringing HIM home than I would feel bringing home some random stranger based on breed specifics.

Sniff sniff, lick lick is the dog equivalent of meeting over coffee to see if a "real" date is worth the effort.

Mary

Still, I'd choose the Aussie out of the four breeds you listed, if I had to pick something other than a Border Collie. That said, to me, there is no reason to choose a non-Border Collie, but I'm weird that way.

I feel the same way. Another herding dog would most likely be the best bet, but at least for now I can't imagine getting any other dog but a BC.

Guest LJS1993
I consider the pointing breeds incompatible because they have as much energy as Border Collies and none of the biddability. Therefore, I have a hard time conceiving how I would have these types of dogs together. When I lived in Philadelphia the only people who were at the local park as often as I was either had Border Collies, or some sort of pointing dog (Weim, GSP, etc.). These dogs have energy to burn, but the difference is that they don't listen to anything you say, including "come" or "here."

The only guy I've seen here in San Francisco with pointers has three GSPs, and he has shock collars on all of them because otherwise he can't get them to come when called. He may just be a crappy trainer but from what I've seen it is difficult to train a reliable recall on these dogs.

I rely on public parks to exercise my dogs so a very active dog without a reliable recall is out of the question for me. That means no GSPs, no Sibes, etc. If you have securely fenced acreage this may not be an issue for you. Still, I'd choose the Aussie out of the four breeds you listed, if I had to pick something other than a Border Collie. That said, to me, there is no reason to choose a non-Border Collie, but I'm weird that way.

Well I live on a ranch which is pretty secure, except for the occasional stranger dog who digs underneath or decides to hurdle the fence. However I'm not a veteran so I need a dog with good recall and excellent training potential, hence the Border Collie. I've only had several experiences with German Shorthairs and that was as a very small kid. I kind of remember them doing their own thing when we took them out around the ranch. I love their little ears, how they flop when they run, and their personalities. However, I want a dog who would be compatible with Freckles. So far it looks like another BC is where we might be going.

I agree that another BC or an Aussie would probably be the best choice from those breeds. I dont know how you feel about Brittany spaniels, but my neighbor has 2 and both are best friends to Lance. Smart dogs too, and lots of energy like BCs. My neighbor gets upset because his dogs jump his fence to come play with my dog. I've had to bring them back many, many times. Occationally he'll have me watch them when he'll be gone for awhile, cause we know they'll make it over here anyway.

1100054.jpg

OK, my personal preference would be:

Border Collie

Border Collie

a few more Border Collies... then I'd be looking at another

herding breed (maybe)... Aussie perhaps :D

I think the odds are better at a herding breed getting along better with

another herding breed.

As it stands right now the only non-herding breed I would even consider

would be a Golden.

A Catahoula? Nah, not for me.

My 2 bits worth...not that 2 bits is worth much nowadays! :rolleyes:

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
OK, my personal preference would be:

Border Collie

Border Collie

a few more Border Collies... then I'd be looking at another

herding breed (maybe)... Aussie perhaps :D

I think the odds are better at a herding breed getting along better with

another herding breed.

As it stands right now the only non-herding breed I would even consider

would be a Golden.

A Catahoula? Nah, not for me.

My 2 bits worth...not that 2 bits is worth much nowadays! :rolleyes:

lol...so you didnt say...how do you feel about border collies? :D:D

I have an aussie and 3 border collies, other than the aussie style of play being more like a Mosh Pit...lots of body slamming they get along just fine. Meg our 6 yr old female and Riley my aussie have been best buds since day one and love to run, wrestle and play together

It's also more of an individual dog preference thing, so sniff-sniff-lick-lick may be the way to go.

FWIW (which is nothing!), one of my favorite dogs ever (after my own, of course) is a GSP named Barney. He is on our flyball team and is also just about the most obedient dog I know. So, to some extent, you can find exceptions to the breed sterotypes.

FWIW (which is nothing!),

You should just stop talking now, you poser!

one of my favorite dogs ever (after my own, of course) is a GSP named Barney. He is on our flyball team and is also just about the most obedient dog I know. So, to some extent, you can find exceptions to the breed sterotypes.

It's funny - Red Dog Fan and I were at the dog park on the weekend and a GSP ran by and I mentioned how I could not think of many breeds I would enjoy owning less. "All the energy of a border collie and none of the brains" is how I put it.

And when we stopped to talk to the owner, who (as people do) oohed and ahhhed over how many damn dogs we had between us (6!) she said "Owning a BC must be worse than owning a GSP, because on top of the energy they also want to work. This guy just wants to run."

RDM

anyone know anything about Catahoula Leopard dog's?

Ummm... Catahoulas are known for their.... craziness.. :rolleyes: they are fun fun fun dogs.... my friend has a catahoula puppy.... he is great lil dog, but his strong hunting insticts are.. well they are strong... so far he's killed 4 koi, a chipmunk, a rabbit and a bird. he's maybe 4 months :D but so cool... and Shelby loves him.

One of the reasons that we have decided to wait to get a second dog until Meg 'grows up' (may be many years) is that she is extremely attached to us and resource guards. It may really be more an issue of needing to 'part' of everything we do but it is dangerous! She moves at lightening speed as if some demonic spirit posessed her. So, the lick, lick, sniff, sniff test between dogs is one issue.....but do a test to determine what happens if you give attention to the candidate dog in you pups presence.

One of the reasons that we have decided to wait to get a second dog until Meg 'grows up' (may be many years) is that she is extremely attached to us and resource guards.

Our of curiosity, do you think this is going to get better without her being exposed to another dog?

My opinion, as poserish as it is, is that your dog doesn't really get to dictate what you do or possess you unless you let her. The longer she goes without living with another canine, the less success you will have and the more traumatic it will be when you do introduce another one. If you ever can.

Just a thought.

RDM

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
Our of curiosity, do you think this is going to get better without her being exposed to another dog?

My opinion, as poserish as it is, is that your dog doesn't really get to dictate what you do or possess you unless you let her. The longer she goes without living with another canine, the less success you will have and the more traumatic it will be when you do introduce another one. If you ever can.

Just a thought.

RDM

plan is...she must complete all the pup classes at petco/smart or private whateveryouwannacallit that we put her in to socialize her. Getting another dog isnt for another year or two. We dont want to unhinge her :rolleyes: What do you suggest? How can we better approach this?