BC Boards

Are your females more vocal?

I'm just wondering if folks find females to be more vocal? Tiga is pretty vocal but not with barking. He "talks" to us when he's missed us or when he's hungry but has never really been a big barker. He usually only barks if someone is at the door when we're home. He's a great watch dog.

Annie is a different story. She barks a lot more then Tiga. She barks when she looses something under the couch, if Tiga won't play with her, if she has to poop, if she's hungry, if she gets too excited, etc. She also "talks" a lot too. She sounds like Chewbacca when she gets going. And her bark is so high pitched! So much louder then Tiga's.

I'm just curious if others have similar experiences with male vs females or if it's just coincidence.

Hope you're all keeping warm! It's so cold here I can't take the dogs out longer then 5 mins at a time. (-30 C today!!! -22 F)

My female is a JRT and she barks at EVERYTHING. The boys might woof something strange occassionally, but mostly they wooo wooo and it's always about something not just noise. Gideon is known for talking with his mouth full, he will stop and pick something up so he has an obstruction to his woo wooing.

I've heard my youngest female bark maybe once or twice. She doesn't even bark when the others bark. She has her own set of noises she makes when I come home from work though, that could best be described as a shriek. She does groan and moan, and she grunts when I rub her.

My oldest female BC has become the barkiest dog as her hearing has started to go. She was always barky, but now it's about to drive me to drink. She makes few other noises.

My other female, a mutt, rarely barks but has a high pitched squeak, and groans.

My males, on the other hand, bark, yodel, roo, warble, groan, moan, and make all kinds of noises. I'd say the boys win at my house for depth and type, but June wins for flat out quantity and volume.

Our female never barked at anything. Tucker is more like Annie. He barks when he's frustrated. He barks when he's lonely. He barks whenever he hears a noise. He barks whenever he thinks he hears a noise...I have never had a dog with such acute hearing!! OY. I swear, as I was writing this, he just started barking at someone turning into the bottom of our .2 mile driveway.

-22??!! Yikes. I'm going to stop complaining about -2.

Leslie

I guess it may be a toss up here. Certain vocalizations seem to have a genetic component, though it also has skipped generations in my house. That is, Phoebe roos a lot, her mom Twist doesn't, but her grandmother Quest does. Pretty much all of them bark when excited, but in general I think one of my males is the noisiest when it comes to just sounds (whining, moaning, etc.). This dog is the littermate to the little female who roos, but he doesn't roo.

I think it's a pretty individual thing, but that some vocalization types may run in families. Also I've had pups who were rather vocal, but did not grow up to be vocal adults.

J.

Thanks for all your replies. I`m finding it interesting to see the differences between Tiga and Annie. They look so similar but they are complete opposites and I was just wondering if it was a male vs female thing or just a dog vs dog thing. Seems like it`s more of a dog vs dog thing. Either way, it`s a fun ride. :)

Same temp here again today. There seems to be no end in sight. We`re all going a little shack wacky. So jealous of t-shirt weather! I`d be happy with -2 at this point. Anything warm enough to walk the dogs would be good. :blink: