BC Boards

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love a happy ending John you are amazing. Amber is on her way to a happy life and you are going to make some fur family really happy. Congrat to a job well done!

I love happy endings, too, but we're not there yet. We have declared her adoptable, but she is not yet adopted. Only then can we allow ourselves to cheer.

• 3 months later...

I really appreciate people like you who will take the time to foster. I adopted a sweet little BC two months ago. I am not the type of person who is confident enough to walk into a shelter and adopt a dog. With two dogs and two indoor cats I needed some reassurance that the dog I was adopting would get along with my other pets and the foster family was able to give me the information I needed to feel confident with the adoption.

I'm so happy for you, Amber, and Amber's new person.

I really appreciate people like you who will take the time to foster. I adopted a sweet little BC two months ago. I am not the type of person who is confident enough to walk into a shelter and adopt a dog. With two dogs and two indoor cats I needed some reassurance that the dog I was adopting would get along with my other pets and the foster family was able to give me the information I needed to feel confident with the adoption.

I'm so happy for you, Amber, and Amber's new person.

Just wanted to reiterate this. I'm mostly a lurker so far, in the process of adopting from Border Collie rescue here in Texas. I don't feel comfortable picking a dog from a shelter because I have three kids and two cats and need to know what I'm getting. I'm so grateful for the rescue organizations and foster families who make adopting a good option for us.

Congratulations to Amber!

A quick update from her new person:

Amber is busy training her to get up "at the crack of dawn", and doing quite a good job (she is used to morning walks at 4:00 and it's going to take a little while to re-program). Otherwise they've hiked together and "she did great!". Amber is a bit skeptical about the local dog park -- may need time to figure that one out. Altogether a very upbeat first report.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the home evaluation for the young woman who adopted Amber. I liked her a lot, and was very happy when I found out that ABCR let her adopt Amber. I know that she will lbe dedicated to Amber, love her to death and take very good care of her.

:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was a bit of roller coaster ride. By evening she was no better, in fact she was becoming less responsive and whimpering when disturbed. After failing to respond to antibiotics and with her condition slowly worsening, the vet suggested that it may be something more serious and that ""given the situation, not letting her suffer would be the kindest thing right now". An appointment was made for the following morning; our rescue gave clearance to follow the vet's recommendation.

Then, mirabile dictu, the next report was positive. She had perked up, ate some dinner and was running around outside and was "extremely enthusiastic" about taking her meds (meat wrapped). The most recent email reports that she became "dramatically better through the course of yesterday afternoon and today she is acting like her normal self now!". We are still keeping our fingers crossed, but the Runes are looking good again.

[We pulled her vet records at the start of this and it seems she had previously had "emergency abdominal surgery for a perforated bowel due to an obstruction" in 2013. Her recovery was deemed "touch and go" Little Miss Amber has has some close calls, but there's plenty fight in her...]

The vet ran a series of tests; I don't know the details. The initial diagnosis, gastroenteritis and the antibiotic prescribed, metronidazole, seem to be consistent with an infection -- possibly linked to a blockage. The meds just took a bit longer to kick in, but once they did, she bounced right up again.

• 8 months later...