BC Boards

Rescue organizations buying dogs from breeders at auctions

Eileen Stein

Unfortunately, I think I have fallen prey to this. It is hard to conceive but the more I think about it, the "rescue" I adopted my dog from sorta fits the description described in this article. There is no way to know for sure but this definitely makes me think twice about how I find dogs in the future. I have been wanting to get a third BC and at this point, I am thinking I need to just buy from a reputable breeder.  It is easy to get caught up in the idea that you're helping an animal and forget that when humans are involved there is almost always some type of foul play involved. 

Or just research the rescue and make sure they're doing things the right way. I know of multiple reputable border collie rescues in the mid-Atlantic states. There are plenty of border collies either found wandering or surrendered locally, and these rescues have no need to go buy from dog sales. They can barely keep up with fostering the dogs that are in need locally.

J.

I have met people who possibly fell prey to this phenomenon, although I cannot know where the "rescue" person got the dogs. The folks I have met were so proud of having "rescued" their puppy. When questioned, it turned out that they went to someone's house to get the dog, and the person had many dogs and puppies all in cages and crates in the house, and charged a great deal for the puppy, citing "rescue expenses". They have also sometimes said they "rescued the whole litter". Some of these are no doubt puppy mills and BYBs, and maybe some are also buying auction dogs and selling for a profit. Of course, the point being these are not rescues at all. 

I have always struggled to find a good way to inform the person why that was not a good way to get a dog, since they already have the dog and love it, but usually I manage to say something tactfully enough that most often the person actually listens to me and won't repeat it. Frustrating, though, because what I can do is such a drop in the ocean.