BC Boards

Where do you find 'pet lines' of BC?

I have the honor of owning a field bred golden retriever. She looks nothing like the Goldens in a show ring. She's absolutely beautiful. Longer head, lean body, just gorgeous. Most people guess golden when they see her but ask why her coat is so short and why she is so lean. I explain it and they seem quite surprised. It's sad that a lot of people's perception of what a breed should look like is what is reflected in show dogs.

It is sad. It's even worse when people *defend* their obese, malformed dog by saying it's "muscle" and that's how they're supposed to look. :blink:

Give your beautiful girl a pet and a hug from me! :)

About 15 years ago, I used to see a bull dog at the dog park I frequented. Miracle #1- this little girl was compact, proportionately balanced, and a ball of fire. Weight maybe 30 lbs, and all muscle. She flew after her Frisbee, and ran rings around a lot of the other dogs. Miracle #2 - Princess Diamond was owned by 2 college aged young men. They adored her, and TRAINED HER. Not what I expected when I first saw them. She had a really good down, and they told me the first thing they taught her was a good solid recall. I was very impressed by the dog and the young men. I thought at the time that if I found a dog like Diamond, I'd take her.

Ruth and Gibbs

I'll admit, I kind of hanker after a field bred lab.

But I don't think I have the physical energy to put in the what that would require in justice to the dog, so I'll stick with my nice, super easy to live with Border Collies.

Ruth, your story reminds me of the time a few years back I was hiking 'way up in the desert mountains, at least 6 miles along the trail, and came to a young couple hiking with a basset hound of all things. I could hardly believe my eyes, but that dog was as fit as they come, not the least bit tired or winded, and having a ball. His legs were short, but longer than what you usually see and not bent or bowed, and he was lean and solid muscle. I spoke with the owners, and they said they had looked long and hard to find a breeder who was not breeding to ACK standards, but rather to the old standard for field-bred bassets. It kind of made my day to meet that dog and his owners.

I agree with this completely, especially when it comes to border collies and the hunting breeds like labs and goldens and retrievers. And German shepherd dogs. And poodles. And bull dogs. And......oh well, all of them. Most breeds shown in the ACK are ruined or "modified" in some way that I find reprehensible.

To the OP: as others have said, this really is a forum for all border collie owners, not just those who have working dogs, and you are welcome here. The philosophy of the forum is that it doesn't condone breeding for anything other than working ability. We all definitely support rescue dog owners, no matter where their dogs came from, and many if not most of us here do not have dogs who work sheep, even if they are working bred dogs.

Sonic says thanks! I was confused about that myself, good to know us mixed up mutly collie looking dogs ARE welcome.

Ruth, your story reminds me of the time a few years back I was hiking 'way up in the desert mountains, at least 6 miles along the trail, and came to a young couple hiking with a basset hound of all things. I could hardly believe my eyes, but that dog was as fit as they come, not the least bit tired or winded, and having a ball. His legs were short, but longer than what you usually see and not bent or bowed, and he was lean and solid muscle. I spoke with the owners, and they said they had looked long and hard to find a breeder who was not breeding to ACK standards, but rather to the old standard for field-bred bassets. It kind of made my day to meet that dog and his owners.

Oh gosh, field bred bassets are wonderful!

tumblr_nkm05ibi2p1u3kb5mo4_500.jpg

I don't know if this is what the average working basset is like, but by gosh is this dog actually nice looking <3 I usually dislike the look of basset hounds, but this dog looks amazing <3

Working line Dachshunds are cool too

I wish working corgis existed...

Id love to see some which looked like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/Welsh%20Corgi/1929_PembrokeCorgi_ch_golden_girl.jpg

Of course, there probably are some, but I don't know of any concrete lines which do, or also breed for working ability.

I would love to meet a proper working/field or llewellin setter some day. I wonder what their temperament is like...

My friend's husband has had at least two working setter bitches. They do not look like the show dogs. They had less coat and are athletic, lean and whippy, with a good temperament and an off switch that made them a pleasure in the house.