BC Boards

Rancher Saves Fukushima’s Radioactive Cows

76 Bar

• 1 year later...

I used to live up there for some years. Even after we moved down here (~400kms south) we would spend our summer vacations in and around Namie. It's one of the nicest areas in Japan probably never to be enjoyed again. I admire his efforts but to what end really...?

Agree BPoint, however if scientist wanted, they could use these animals to help study the effect of radiation on the animals (and the man himself-although 1 person is a low percentage for study). Additionally there may be some sort of deal where he would loose the land if it were not farmed. There are very strict laws regarding farm land and it's usage in Japan. This may be a way for him to try to save his land as a farm for the future-albeit it may be a few generations before it is safe so probably futile anyway.

I respect the man for staying with his cattle. The man and the animals have been through an ordeal. The cows made his life possible in the past - they were his livelihood. Now the situation has changed. The cows can no longer support him, so he supports them. To some it would seem to serve no purpose, but I think it isn't about logic, it's about his feelings.

He is doing his best and his work may keep the truth of the situation from being buried in some ways. This is a good thing.