BC Boards

Oily Coats

I have a 14 yr neut male rough coat BC, he is fed raw and high quality kibble -either Solid Gold or Natures Balance. I have noticed that over the last year that his coat gets oily very quickly. Outside of bathing him on a more regular basis anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve and what would cause this. He is still fairly active, he retired from agility last year but still loves to romp with the gang abiet alot more slowly and stiffly but he's still young at heart. He plays tuggie with Whim the puppy EVERY chance he gets, eats well although its getting harder for him to crunch up the raw. I was wondering if Thyroid might have something to do with this. I really need to get a blood panel done on him just due to his age, I got him from a petstore at 10 wks and the only thing that has effected him is Lymes that he contracted about 5 yrs ago except for 2 days of lameness it has not shown any other effects. He is UTD on shots and at his last vet chec his heart and lungs sounded fine.

Guest pax

You might try shampooing him less, not more.

I think when you shampoo to often it can dry the skin out, so it starts producing more oil, rather than less.

I dont bathe all that often about 1x every 2-3 mos through the summer, more frequently only if they go swimming and then smell like the the beach at low tide...ewww.

hypothyroid can cause that, as can too high a fat content in the diet. Since the dog is 14 now, it may be that he doesn't need as much fat, or he needs a higher quality of it. I have a dog that gets a greasy coat if he gets too much heavy chicken fat.

Bathing in regular shampoo and water doesn't change internal workings - you can't "make" them produce more oil, you can just wash it off to the point where the coat dries out.

When I read your post, the first thing that I thought was thyroid too. Worth looking into a blood test for that. Good luck!