BC Boards

Treadmill Time

Willow is officially a treadmill walker, lol. I walk her everday outside for 30 minutes but she still has SOOO much energy after so I decided to try the treadmill, she actually likes it! Day 3 on the treadmill was last night and she walked on it for 15 minutes with no problems . I have a video of day 2 for you to see :D . Of course all you hear is my squeaky voice talking to her, lol.

What speed should I put it too once she is completely use to it? I had it at 1.5 mph just because she is learning and I dont want to scare her.

http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/rconti83/?action=view&current=5a2f27cc.mp4

Thanks for looking!

Willow is officially a treadmill walker, lol. I walk her everday outside for 30 minutes but she still has SOOO much energy after so I decided to try the treadmill

Do you not have anywhere to exercise your dog in a more normal way? 30 mins outside isn't much and a treadmill doesn't provided the sensory stimulation that a dog gains from exploring its environment.

Have you tried tiring her brain out with training?

It's not something I'd ever consider unless my dog needed rehab after an injury.

Hi, are you using a treadmill made just for dogs or a regular one? I am looking into getting one for my dogs but was told you need a treadmill made for dogs. Your dog seems to be doing just fine if your treadmill is made for people! Cindi

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. Most everyone uses a 'human' treadmill, even canine rehab places. I got mine pretty cheap at Play it Again Sports. Just make sure you get one with enough width and length for your particular dog(s).

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. Most everyone uses a 'human' treadmill, even canine rehab places. I got mine pretty cheap at Play it Again Sports. Just make sure you get one with enough width and length for your particular dog(s).

But why do you feel the need to exercise your dog artificially?

It's not artificial exercise. Would you walk up to someone sweating at the treadmill at the gym and tell them they're not exercising? lol

It's a great option for those times when exercising outside is not an option. I used it a lot during summers when I lived in the south. It wasn't their only exercise, but a supplement. It's also great for conditioning and rehab.

I don't see why anyone would be against it as a second option. Obviously this owner isn't using the treadmill as the only form of exercise. There are days when it is absolutely down pouring and my dog won't want to go out or thunder/lightening, or -10 and blustery winds and snow. A treadmill can be a great option on those days along with mental games/training and such but at times indoor exercise is a great way to get the dog moving at least.

Edit: I don't feel any need to make a dog owner feel bad for spending time with their dog and trying to keep them busy. So many people tie their dogs to trees 24/7, ignore them all day on electric fences and do absolutely nothing with their dogs. Don't let anyone make you feel bad because at times you use a treadmill, I mean really, millions of dogs spend their day in a tiny filthy pen or chained and never do anything.

It's not artificial exercise. Would you walk up to someone sweating at the treadmill at the gym and tell them they're not exercising? lol

I'd think they'd be better going for a run in the country and feeling the wind on their face, listening to the birds, taking in the scents and sounds just like my dogs do. Pounding away on a machine with MTV blaring out isn't my idea of fun.

It's a great option for those times when exercising outside is not an option. I used it a lot during summers when I lived in the south. It wasn't their only exercise, but a supplement. It's also great for conditioning and rehab.

I guess it's a cultural thing and admittedly we rarely get weather that prevents us getting out in the open air and letting our dogs have a run. I only know one person who bought a treadmill and she hasn't talked about it in a long while. Maybe it's gathering dust somewhere.

TBH I've never had the need to do any conscious conditioning with our dogs (or what I think you mean by it). Normal daily exercise coupled with maybe an hour's agility training a week has kept a succession of dogs injury free and competition fit.

I'd think they'd be better going for a run in the country and feeling the wind on their face, listening to the birds, taking in the scents and sounds just like my dogs do. Pounding away on a machine with MTV blaring out isn't my idea of fun.

And that's your prerogative, but not cause to judge others.

TBH I've never had the need to do any conscious conditioning with our dogs (or what I think you mean by it). Normal daily exercise coupled with maybe an hour's agility training a week has kept a succession of dogs injury free and competition fit.

We used it alot for flyball conditiong so our dogs wouldn't slow at the end of a long weekend. Agility dogs don't have the same stamina needs as flyball dogs.

It's obvious you don't see a need in your life and your dog's lives for a treadmill, but others do and don't deserve to be judged for it.

She does lots of other things, this is just something new for her to do... I walk her, play ball with her she does Agility and every so often I want to walk her on the treadmill if it's nasty out or I just want to have fun with her. She likes it a lot, she looks forward to it now actually. Wish there were open fields in the city to let her run, there is a leash rule everywhere around here.

Yup, that's a human treadmill :)

And thank you, i hope she always keeps that puppy face :)

I have a treadmill that I bought to use to train for a 5k last fall and noticed that Sol spent a lot of time watching me use it. One night I stepped off on the side of it and called her up and turned it on a low speed to see what she would do and she took to it right away. She really seems to enjoy it. Every time I use it she waits for her turn afterward and jumps on as soon as I step to the side finishing my workout. I always stay with her and cheer for her so that might be one of the reasons she likes it but who knows? She really seems to like it so I let her do it. I keep the speed at a nice trot and a gentle incline until she is panting a bit and then we stop since we aren't really doing it for conditioning or anything, she just does it because she likes it.

I don't see any harm in it and it is a very useful tool. I love my treadmill. I have severe seasonal allergies that have landed me in the ER multiple times and require steroids to get me through the spring and summer (allergy meds just don't cut it). If I want to run during high pollen season I can't do it outside, I have to be in a controlled environment so a treadmill is really the only option for me.

Do you not have anywhere to exercise your dog in a more normal way? 30 mins outside isn't much and a treadmill doesn't provided the sensory stimulation that a dog gains from exploring its environment.

Have you tried tiring her brain out with training?

It's not something I'd ever consider unless my dog needed rehab after an injury.

if the dog has to learn how to use it, doesn't that make it mentally stimulating in it of itself?

additionally, if treadmills are anything like stairsteppers, then they have different programs at different levels of intensity, this too would also require mental engagement from the dog.

OP - thanks for the thread. We've been looking at these for our Emmett, our 5 year old BC Serendipity Mix. This looks like a great supplement for his energy expenditure program. ;)

How would you increase a dog's stamina for a 15min sheepdog trial course (500yard outrun) if you do not have a large place to train or run your dogs?

How do you increase a dog's stamina if your dog won't run continuously on its own (you stop and your dog stops)?

How do you increase a dog's stamina if you have limited daylight (work full time and have farm chores not involving dog work)?

I have access to a steep uphill field which I have my dogs do outruns up.

We have also used a treadmill, especially during the winter months when I get home an hour before dark.

Good for you! I would love to have a treadmill, my bit has used them at other people's houses, he seemed to enjoy it. Hebtrain in agility a few times a week, goes on lots of hikes, daily walks, daily pull work on the longboard, lots of fetch and dog play time at the park, but a treadmill is really a nice controlled exercise I would love to be able to provide to him. Plus it would help immensely during times like now when I'm studying for finals and he's stuck inside!