BC Boards

My puppy has fish breath already?

My puppy is starting to get bad fishy-like breath that I normally smell in older dogs. Is this a sign of her getting bad teeth already or her food isn't good for her teeth? She is going to be 5 months November 1st...she just lost the rest of her baby teeth recently.

I'm not too familiar with dog dental hygiene since this is my first puppy. I suppose I will go to petco and get her some dog toothpaste. Any recommendations and should I be worried?

Her diet consists of purina one and a raw egg once a day. Occasionally we give her chicken breast and green beans.

She isn't bleeding anymore. There was spotting that we observed on her raw hide bones around the time she was loosing her teeth. I am noticing signs of redness around her canine teeth...I'm not sure if these are early signs of doggy gingivitis or if its because they are growing at a fast rate.

She has an appointment with the vet next Thursday I'll make sure they don't leave her teeth out this time!

Not having to do with the breath, but only feed raw eggs a couple times a week, the rest of the time feed lightly cooked.

-Is it bad for them to have too much egg? I use it since she's a picky eater on top of her food. I tried cooked egg and she wasn't impressed. I think I'll have to stock up on more green beans to get her to eat and raw foods.

Yeah that's what I've noticed with my mom's rescue dogs...now they are 8 years old they can clear a room with their breath. :(

What kind of raw foods do you feed to your dogs? I heard chicken isn't good to feed all the time.

Keeper's puppy breath was definitely gone by 5 months. His breath isn't at all bad now, but as soon as his teeth started coming out the puppy breath went away. Good thing too, I'm one of those people who doesn't like it. :ph34r:

I'm not a fan of puppy breath either funny it goes away when they lose those teeth! :P Thing is I'd rather smell puppy breath over sushi breath any day!

Do you brush Keeper's teeth yet?

The amount of avidin in raw egg white is enough to bind too much biotin in their food. A couple days a week of getting next to no biotin is ok considering all the positives of feeding eggs, but not every day. If you can lightly cook the egg whites, but leave the yolk runny, like a sunny side up egg, then it will still mix with kibble ok.

Thank you for this info. I'll have to research around town to see who has these meat products. :)

That's good to know I'll have to cut back on the eggs. I've picked up a few bad habits from my mother! Are those bones good for their teeth or is that just a myth?

The amount of avidin in raw egg white is enough to bind too much biotin in their food.

I believe you've got that backwards.

The myth is that there's too much avidin in raw egg whites, binding the biotin, which is the good stuff, a necessary B vitamin.

It's true that avidin binds biotin, but there's more than enough biotin in egg yolks so that the avidin in the albumen isn't a problem.

If your dog's handling eggs well, there's no need to cut back on them. Some dogs don't tolerate too many raw eggs, but many do quite well with an egg a day. Don't forget to feed the shells for calcium.

Yes, raw bones are good for the teeth, as long as they're not weight bearing bones of large ungulates that can break them, and raw bones are a necessary part of a healthy raw diet.

If your dog's handling eggs well, there's no need to cut back on them. Some dogs don't tolerate too many raw eggs, but many do quite well with an egg a day. Don't forget to feed the shells for calcium.

Yes, raw bones are good for the teeth, as long as they're not weight bearing bones of large ungulates that can break them, and raw bones are a necessary part of a healthy raw diet.

She seems to be doing a lot better since I've been feeding them to her. Her new adult coat has become very shiny and soft. Everyone comments on how healthy it looks and feels when I take her out to the dog park. Maybe its the biotin? I took the supplement for 4 months and noticed a difference in myself.

Okay I'll have to stick to those. She really enjoys those raw eggs and bones! I'm going to study up on the raw diet and find somewhere in the city that has the different organs and meat options. I'll probably give her a diverse diet of raw and hard food.

My dogs are kibble fed with raw meaty bones given at regular intervals for teeth cleaning purposes (and because they like them and I like them to have stuff like that).

I, too, am not a fan of puppy breath. I will also add that my kibble fed dogs do not have bad breath. In fact the only dog I ever had with truly bad breath (knock you down bad) had an oral tumor.

The bad breath I find in my dogs is because at least one of them makes a habit of eating poop. So yeah, that smell on her breath is just gross.

J.

I'm sure a lot of people view it as unneccicary, but I brush my dog and cats teeth when their breath smells funny. Then if the smell comes right Back I start looking around their mothes for sores or abscesses.

The worst dog breath I ever smelled was my grandma's late toy poodle. It was in-bread so it had crooked teeth that no amount of chewing could clean and it was before my grandma knew you could brush a dogs teeth. After 14 years no one wanted that poor dog breathing in their face.

My dogs are kibble fed with raw meaty bones given at regular intervals for teeth cleaning purposes (and because they like them and I like them to have stuff like that). . . .

. . .I will also add that my kibble fed dogs do not have bad breath.

I strongly suspect that the regular addition of RMBs has a whole lot to do with that. ;)

The kibble fed dogs I sit don't get them.

Have her anal glands checked. Number one cause for fishy breath.

I'll have to have the vet check that next Thursday. That's interesting is it because they become irritated?

What kind of kibble are you feeding these dogs with "non-fishy" breath? I'll have to put more bones in Effie's diet. I'm noticing some gum redness around some of her teeth so I think this may be whats contributing the smell. I guess all I can do for now is brush her teeth and see if that helps with the irritation.

Poor poodle my aunt had one too who had missing teeth and rotten breath. :/ Luckily I know Effie for sure isn't a poop eater because I always have to scoop it up...and there aren't any cow patties where I live haha!

I feed my dogs a raw diet and their breath is nice.

I do a fair amount of dog sitting, all kibble fed dogs. Their breath is nasty . . . and so is their poop.

My dogs all eat kibble and I have been complimented on the nice clean breath that they have, so kibble is not in itself a cause of bad breath.

I do check my dogs' teeth regularly, scale when necessary, and brush occasionally.

I'd love to read it if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

I'll try to find it, but no promises. It was an article that someone else dug up, and I am definitely challenged at finding things on the internet.

My dogs all eat kibble and I have been complimented on the nice clean breath that they have, so kibble is not in itself a cause of bad breath.

I do check my dogs' teeth regularly, scale when necessary, and brush occasionally.

Have you considered the possibility that with all the dental hygiene you're doing you're counteracting the effects of the kibble? ;)

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. Just commenting on my own experience. And ime, the people who have kibble fed dogs with decent breath do some extras like raw bones, brushing or regular vet dental cleanings.

LOL! It took me all this time to find this.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/118/5/604.long

And I found these in the same place. They are about the digestability of the protein in raw egg whites.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01076520

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/277/5/G935.full

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.short