BC Boards

Smooth-coated BC pup?

Hello, Everyone. First poster here. I joined the board because I would like for some more experienced eyes to take a look at Lucy for us.

We adopted Lucy (The Little Lady Lu-Lu) last weekend from the local shelter after she was left on their doorstep in a plastic bin with 8 of her brothers and sisters. They were guessing she was a BC mix. We didn't believe them at first because the wife and I didn't understand the whole smooth-coat/rough-coat distinction, but after some research we were set straight. For further proof, we remembered that some of her brothers and sisters had distinctly rougher coats. Makes sense.

Anyway, after looking at a couple hundred pictures online I can't figure out what other breed might be represented in The Lady Lu. She looks all BC to me.

Can anyone who's seen a bunch of smooth-coated BC pups hazard an opinion on her differences?

Thanks.

kendall

post-13298-091238900 1335409044_thumb.jpg

post-13298-065197200 1335409063_thumb.jpg

Hi Kendall!

Welcome to the boards. :) Lucy sure is one cute little pup. How old is she, approximately?

I have 2 smooth-coated border collies, and honestly, I can't tell about Lucy from these photos. The lower photo might suggest some other breed in the blunt shape of her head, but again, there's so much variety in BC head shapes. My Nick, pictured in my profile image, was all big head, blocky shoulders and big knees as a little guy! But his younger sister, my Gael, has a head like a bullet. And Lucy's floppy ears don't necessarily mean much, either. BC ears come in all shapes and sizes, and she may well grow into those.

How does she move when she plays? She's of course still very young, but does she exhibit any stalking or intently-staring behaviors, in play?

Anyhow, I can't really tell, just from the photos. She could be purebred, and the folks who rescued her were thrown by the variety of coats within the litter. Or she could be mixed with who knows what. A little lab, perhaps?

Whatever she is, she sure is a cutie-pie! Congratulations! :)

Cheers ~

Gloria

Hello and welcome! :)

As for what breed(s) she is, I've seen Border Collie X American Pit Bull Terrier puppies that looked very similar to her in terms of head shape. She could just be a border collie with a blocky head, or a totally different mix, whatever she is, she looks to be a definite keeper! ;)

Congratulations on the new addition!

Depends how old she is in that picture. She's pretty blunt headed for a border collie, unless she's very young in that photo and hasn't grown a muzzle yet. But she could also just be a blunt headed BC too. You're going to have to wait until she gets older, I think!

RDM

As for what breed(s) she is, I've seen Border Collie X American Pit Bull Terrier puppies that looked very similar to her in terms of head shape.

The shape of the head suggests the possibility of some bull breed in there to me too.

I believe it's quite a common mix in flyball circles over the pond but could be misinformed.

As someone who works in a shelter, I can tell you that it is VERY STINKING HARD to correctly guess at the breed(s) of unknown puppies dumped on us. It's a guess and sometimes we guess right, sometimes we guess wrong.

We've had a couple of wee ones come to us that we labeled as "labrador with some border collie thrown in there." Yet when those dogs grew up and we saw pictures or they came for a visit, they ended up looking almost completely border collie. This weekend a former adopter came by to do a dog meet with a new pup she was interested in -- the dog she adopted from us as a puppy was listed as a "collie/australian shepherd" mix. Uhh. In it's adult body it sure looked a lot like some sort of pit/lab mix. lol

When you have no clue of the parentage, sometimes you just have to wait until they grow up a bit. My most recent foster puppy was guessed to be some sort of a border-staffy mix and I can see similarities between her and the OP puppy -- but again, they change *so much*. Even my known pure bc foster puppy from December is hardly recognizable anymore from the puppy he was when he was with me!

Everything is "best guess", but we were told she's about 6 weeks old. She's young enough to still be unsteady on her feet and flopping about on shaky knees.

Haven't seen any stalking yet, but she's not afraid to look you in the eye.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom for our kids so she so she's able to keep a constant watchful eye on the Lady Lu. I got in trouble last night for stepping out into the garage and letting her sneak some of the other dog's food.

kendall

Oh, good grief! 6 weeks is so incredibly YOUNG! The poor baby. She should still be with her mama, in my opinion, but obviously her former "owners' thought otherwise. Please do be careful with what she eats and gets into. She's far too young to understand corrections and getting into the wrong food or whatever could get really set her poor insides in a riot.

I didn't want to put the cat among the canaries by suggesting a bully breed, but that did cross my mind, in the second photo of her. However, like everyone says, you really won't know for many months to come. Meanwhile, do be careful with such a very young baby. Hubby and I got a dog that young once, many years ago, and I'd never do it again. It's so much work and so very worrisome! Though that pup did grow up to be one of the most loyal and loving girls we've ever had. ;)

Best of luck and give dear wee Lucy a hug and a kiss from me. :)

~ Gloria

I don't think there's any way to tell when looking at a 6-week-old puppy. I look at her and think she could be purebred. What are the chances of that? Who knows? Maybe equally as likely as that she's crossed with some bully breed. I have pointy headed border collies and broad headed border collies. I had a dog here recently who had a shorter muzzle (blunt headed) and a distant relative of that dog, who belongs to a friend of mine, also has a distinctly blunt muzzle. It's less obvious in the mature dog than it was in the pup (that is, he looked really short muzzled as a puppy).

I agree that you're going to have to see what she looks like when she's older, possibly an adult, to hazard a guess. I wouldn't do a doubletake if I met you and her and you told me she was a border collie, though.

J.

One reason that I would tend to think that she's a mix is that, at least around here, it would be pretty rare for an entire litter of purebred border collie puppies to be dropped off at a shelter. Not that this doesn't or hasn't happened. But, it's pretty rare [here]. But, until she grows a bit more, it's going to be tough to know what she'll look like as an adult.

I give you Exhibit A. This is a puppy from a litter of puppies dumped at a shelter at about 4 weeks old. He's doing his very best, "I'm a border collie puppy" imitation here.

5-23_1_iPod.jpg

Here's the same puppy all grown up. Clearly, some sort of short-legged dog is in his ancestry.

Trik-1.jpg

Not much more to offer on the breed, other than to say she's adorable, and looks a lot like a friend's known Border Collie pup who could pass as a Lab mix. My old mutt, the best dog ever, was also a Lu. I hope your pup gets all the brains & sweetness of my Lu, but maybe a little less attitude!

I have seen many smooth coat pups. I am a bc breeder with smooth coats as my preference. I am also familiar with bully breeds. She looks like there is a good possibility of being bc/ bull something. I see signs in her eye shape/width, head shape, and also possibly her body /leg shape.

We've had her about 2 weeks now, so she's something like 8 weeks old. She's grown a lot in two weeks!

She retains the somewhat stubby snout though not as much as two weeks ago. She's definitely long-legged and she's got huge feet. I'm starting to think maybe black lab...

kendall

post-13298-023568400 1336159380_thumb.jpg

post-13298-079904300 1336159390_thumb.jpg

post-13298-009669100 1336159398_thumb.jpg

Alright, I had an epiphany this morning. I was holding The Lady Lu in my arms and she was looking up at me when I suddenly saw very plainly what probably everyone else is seeing and not saying. I think our princess is a Junkyard Princess. Lu-Lu is part pitbull.

The ears, the feet, the set of the little black eyes--it all fits. She could be pitbull/bc or maybe pitbull/lab but she's pitbull for sure.

She does have a sweet disposition so far though. Let's hope that keeps up and that most of the pit-ish-ness has been mixed out.

kendall

Wow, please get to know pitties a bit better. Maybe then you'll lose the stereotype. They are wonderful dogs!

To be fair to the OP, pitbulls are generally described as sweet natured, yes - but they are terriers, and terriers are not for everyone! They are a world apart from border collies.

I'd also say that owning a pitty is a pretty up close and personal way of getting to know one, wouldn't you?

RDM

Yeah, please don't buy into the stereotype. IF, and it's still a big IF, she's part pitty, I wouldn't hope she's got most of her pit side "mixed out". That may be the best part of her! ;) Raised properly, pit bulls can be some of the sweetest, most loyal, greatest dogs out there. I am personally a big fan of the breed(can't ya tell?). My Jack is probably part pit, but I'm not basing my opinion entirely on him.

Can't wait to see more of her as she gets older. Such a doll!

Well, your right, I only know pits by their reputation for aggression. Whether that's really a characteristic of the breed or stereotype, I can't say for sure, but pits tend to be the ones that get the bad press. I suppose any dog can be trained to be aggressive.

The point is, it's possible she may not be BC at all which is disappointing. Black/white pit markings are very similar to BC markings. But then she's a rescue pooch and rescue pooches are "like a box of chocolates".

Anyway, she's still a sweetie.

kendall

I think our princess is a Junkyard Princess.Lu-Lu is part pitbull.

The ears, the feet, the set of the little black eyes--it all fits. She could be pitbull/bc or maybe pitbull/lab but she's pitbull for sure.

She does have a sweet disposition so far though. Let's hope that keeps up and that most of the pit-ish-ness has been mixed out.

kendall

Alright...MAYBE she's part bully breed...not necessarily pit bull. How much? maybe a little...maybe not much at all. However, in 25 years of dog obedience classes and thousands of dogs, I never had a bad tempered pittie. Why? Because the people who are responsible enough to train a dog correctly are going to have a better behaved pet. I don't think it's a coincidence that nasty pits have idiot owners! They go hand-in-hand (or should I say paw-in-hand). Please lose the "junkyard" and let's just call her your "princess". Enjoy her and love her and when she grows up a little more, you may know better what she is mixed with. And I'm still gonna say part BC. :)

It doesn't matter what she is as long as you love her and raise her in a structured, fair environment. Take her to puppy class, socialize and train her and don't be afraid to ask for advice to fix any problems before they become too big for you to handle.

If she is indeed part pit bull, the three most important things to work on are 1) impulse control 2) bite inhibition and 3) dog social skills. Of course, those are key to any puppy, but they are problem areas I see in certain breeds.

Pit Bulls were actually very popular family dogs 15-25 years ago.

Dog breeds go through phases with the public. People can't make up their minds on whether or not dog breeds are perfect family pets or people killing machines, and the answer is there is no perfect or evil dog breed.

You have control over this puppy, you got her at six weeks old, do not believe there is something in her that makes her inherently bad.

All the ones I've met that were raised in a 'normal' manner were very normal nice dogs, don't believe the hype. For example, Pit Bulls are great dogs with kids because they have such a high pain tolerance that they put up with all that ear grabbing and tail pulling naturally a lot better than most dogs.

And your puppy, whatever she is, is absolutely adorable. ;)

Just socialize her a lot and do what you normally would with a puppy and she'll be a fine dog.