BC Boards

Male dog's - a few questions i have

In my case, I have two affectionate dogs. Just means you have to spend more time petting and working with dogs :rolleyes: . Oh, and my bitch, although smaller, and 7 weeks younger, is the boss - she would like to dictate when Fergus can come and be petted if they're both there. Needless to say, I overrule her :D .

It is different having two (or more) dogs - but it has lots of upsides.

Just chiming in with everyone else :D

I have had 3 males and 2 females ... and all 3 of my boys have been goofier than the females. That's not to say that the females didn't have their goofy moments ....

We never had a problem with a male marking in the house other than when we first got two of them as rescues. Our very first dog, a male, we got from a puppy, and he never went in the house after he was housetrained. I would say we have had the same amount of accidents in the house from the males and the females.

I have always watched all of my dogs, male or female, when visiting friends or relatives just because they were in a new situation. Dogs and kids are alike that way ... who KNOWS what they will find that they can get into :-)

All of my males have hiked their leg on vertical things, or stretched out to squat to pee ... just depended on what was available at the time.

As for humping, I have to say that my female, Luce, has been the worst in that department :rolleyes:

I try watch where the males pee when we are out and about. Bushes, strips of grass, fine. Not car tires, garbage cans or mailboxes. I find that they are just like the females and will pull to where they want to go if they do have to go. I usually try to have them empty at home before a walk, so I know they can hold it if it is not an appropriate place. But all my dogs, male and female, have marked on walks.

Princess, my mixed breed, ALWAYS had to mark over another dog. Luce marks NEXT to where another dog has gone, but she also occasionally lifts one leg when she pees. Blaze was neutered at least by the time he was 8 months old, and he lifts his leg, struts and kicks after he goes. More so now than when I got him the end of April, but I think that was a confidence thing. Actually, come to think of it, all of my dogs have kicked after they have done their business.

A friend of mine went through the same thought process you are going through as she had only every had females throughout her life. She did get a male ... and now has a second one :D

I think it is all a matter of training.

When I got Luce, my female, I had a male greyhound and a female mixed breed. At the time, the greyhound, Roulette, was worse with other males than Princess, my mix, was with other females, so we looked for a female. I then had to deal with 2 bitches and sometimes we had "issues"

Luce has never played with a female and generally doesn't like them, so this time we got a male, Blaze.

At this point in time, Blaze doesn't seem to care, male or female, he'll play with both :-)

We were at an agility trial this weekend and there was a male border collie there that BOTH Luce and Blaze just adored!! They both went nuts over him and just wanted to play and play and that dog was very willing to play with both of them. I haven't really found a dog that Blaze dislikes, but there have been many that Luce hasn't liked (she had a troubled childhood :D ). When I was looking for Luce, I let Princess help decide ... she usually was fine with other dogs, but I wouldn't consider one that she was disinterested in either as usually she liked to play.

It really depends on Holly and which dog she seems to like the most.

In my case, I have two affectionate dogs. Just means you have to spend more time petting and working with dogs :rolleyes: . Oh, and my bitch, although smaller, and 7 weeks younger, is the boss - she would like to dictate when Fergus can come and be petted if they're both there. Needless to say, I overrule her :D .

It is different having two (or more) dogs - but it has lots of upsides.

That is what i am hoping for, whichever i get - another girl or boy. I know i will never get another Holly as everyone is different. It's the unknown which i won't know until i get one, live with it and Holly and see what he /she is like. I just don't want to change Holly and hope that the other one is going to be just as affectionate as her. If it isn't that is fine but i wouldn't like Holly to change. I love her just the way she is. :D

It really depends on Holly and which dog she seems to like the most

That is what i don't know and as i am choosing a pup this time round i am hoping that the person who owns the pups will know what sort of characters they have. This should give me a guess as to which one will match Holly most regardless of sex/colour etc.

I did notice from the last holiday we had she had the most fun with a big male black lab. You could tell she was very comfortable with him. She also knows a male BC who walks by here a lot and she really likes him so maybe that tells me she does like her men.

Holly is strange though as very often we have people who have dogs we meet on the streets and their dogs love Holly. They comment how normally their dog is nasty to or doesn't like other dogs. Very strange as Holly is quite calm when meeting them so maybe it is the calming bit about her they like.

Sophie's personality changed a little when I got Taz (as a pup)--she became a little more tolerant of most other dogs. It kind of seemed like she stopped trying to be the boss of everyone when she was able to just concentrate her bossiness on Taz :rolleyes: . Actually, they balance each other well. Tazzy is much more affectionate than Sophie, and he has never marked inside. He has tried to hump other (male) dogs on hikes, but I put a stop to it as soon as he gets that look in his eyes. Not sure exactly what's going on there, but it seems maybe dominance-related? Anyway, he calls right off, so it's not a problem. He hikes his leg, but he doesn't actually need something vertical to hike on. He's not a terrible marker outside, either--I think it all depends on the individual dog. Sophie is a leg-lifter and a scratch-afterer.

Taz's personality has changed a little since I got Craig, and not in a good way I'm sad to say. Craig kind of has it in for Taz for some reason--Taz, just being himself, just sets Craig off and Craig tracks him and will nip him (hard) if unchecked. It's VERY annoying, and Taz has become a little defensive as a result. He is much quicker to lift his lip and growl at other dogs now. He doesn't do it often, but if another dog gets too close and won't go away, Taz is not afraid to let that dog know to get out of his space. Taz will lift his lip at Craig whenever Craig gets within a foot of him. I understand it, but it makes me a bit sad, as Tazzy was really friendly and unflappable toward other dogs before Craig moved in.

But it's not the end of the world, just takes a little management. Craig is nine, so he came with behavioral patterns that were very ingrained, and I was well aware of them before I agreed to take him. Obviously I didn't know exactly how he would affect Taz, but the issues between them surfaced right away, so I had an idea of what I could expect. If companionship had been my first priority in getting another dog, I would have not taken Craig. But I got him to be a working dog first and foremost--so I am willing to put up with his quirks and his effect on Taz because what Craig helps me learn while we work stock is worth it to me.

I suppose i am asking - do they change personalities when you introduce another dog? or can you end up with two affectionate dogs instead of one.

In our situation, the personalities didn't change. All of them have their affectionate moments, but they can go off and play together. That's one thing that I do like about having more than just two. If I'm loving on one, then the others will play together. Of course, I usually end up with 5 wanting attention at the same time, so I just have to divide up the time. :rolleyes: This, also, works out well when I'm working on training. I can take one to work one-on-one with while the others are playing together.

One more thing, and this might be just his personality. He has NOT met a dog he doesn't like. With some he's extremly friendly, with some just very polite and waves his tail and sniffs noses and butts. We're talking on-leash encounters, because off leash he usually is focused 100% on the ball/me/frisbee and other dogs are just there for ornaments :rolleyes: He's turned many grumpy/bitchy/old dogs into playfull pups who simply adore him and are dying to get his attention long enough to be noticed :D

I had the same feeling about males. I had my heart set on a female border collie as soon as I moved out of my parents house and could get a dog. I looked everywhere and absolutely fell in love with Cody. I was kicking myself for giving in and getting him the whole way home "Oh My doG, what have I got myself into... I dont like male dogs." Had I ever owned a male dog or known one that was a problem- No. I just had it in my head that they were impossible to walk as they had to pee on everything etc.

Cody was a dream dog, I couldnt have asked for a better dog. Having him got me involved in dog sports, where I realised how much nicer all the male dogs were generally. He never marked in the house and on a 10k walk he would cock his leg for 2 or 3 trees only. He was neutered at about 5 months as I had been told if you neuter them before 6 months then the "male" behaviours wont present. The only time I ever saw him go into "super marking mode" was when I was housesitting my aunts property and she had 2 male dogs. The 3 of them walked every inch of the property marking it until they had nothing left inside lol. I never saw him try to mount anything.

I finally got my chance to have my desired female bc and Delta came along. Within a week I had decided that male dogs were much easier and I worked out why we use the term "bitch" to describe certain females. I still stand by that opinion, as much as I love Delta to bits, male dogs seem so much easier. Both my sisters have females (Maddi and Missy) that I basically raised from puppies and have done formal training with as well. The females just seem more temperamental while males are much more go-with-the-flow.

After Cody was killed and I decided I was ready for another dog, I was determined to get a male. Complete about face from my mentality a few years ago :rolleyes: I was a bit unsure about how Charlie would be though as he wasnt neutered until he was 2 years old. I have yet to see him mark ANYTHING. He didnt attempt to mark anything in the yard when I first put him in, he has never marked a tree etc on our walks. In fact, I dont remember ever seeing him cock his leg.

The only dogs that have ever tried to mount anything are Delta (the bean bag is not allowed on the floor if nobody is sitting on it as she is obsessed with humping it and I dont want her to put a hole in it), Maddi (mounts the other dogs, the lounge occassionally, sometimes just makes the motions while standing out in the open), and Missy (usually other dogs but sometimes her bed). None of the males have mounted anything, only the females :D

2 females can live together really well, especially if the second dog is a puppy as it will kickstart the mothering instinct in Holly. If she is a fairly accommodating dog then she will probably have no issue with another spayed female. Especially BCs, there are some breeds where 2 females together arent recommended but Border Collies should be fine. I worry about my sisters dogs living together at mums house now that Missy is about 12 months (she is a pitbull) as Maddi (BC/Boxer) is a very dominant dog and has kept her in line but Missy is starting to show signs that she will challenge her in time.

At training Delta seems to get along best with the male dogs, while Charlie prefers to find a female to play with. Possibly an indication, or just a random observation, Im not sure lol.

Usher is my first male I've had as a puppy. He was easier to potty train. Stopped humping the stuffed animals when he was about 3 months old. He's more lovable than my girls were. My first BC- female- was a terror for marking things. He does go after his friend, Maddie, but really doesn't care about any other markings. As for the house- nope. Stopped that before he learned to lift. I remember how excited I was when he lifted his leg for the first time. What crazy people we are.

When I was growing up my mom only wanted a female, because she thought that males would mark and mount everything in sight. That sort of thinking was ingrained into me and so I always thought I wanted females. My thinking started to come round though, and now its got to the point that I've got 5 males and 1 female. I've raised them all from pups and there has been no inappropriate marking and no mounting. They were all neutered (and spayed in Rain's case) at 6 months of age. I've found that house-training and walking with males is really no different than with females. If you're not allowed to pee in the house, you're not allowed to pee in the house. Period. No excuses for the boys. Same with walking, no marking mailboxes, car tires etc. I will usually just say "no" or "ah ah", or "on by" and give the leash a tug, but if it's something that would be especially revolting to have peed on (like my daughter's playhouse), it's a very sharp "don't you DARE!" accompanied by clapping hands and chasing away. If you can catch them the first time they think about doing something like that, they learn it's off limits, just the same as teaching them that peeing in the house is not allowed. My boys all mark bushes and trees etc. when they're out in the fields with me, and they have certain spots along the edge of the backyard fence, but they will all also just go on level ground, sometimes with a leg lifted. When house-training and I take them out to the yard I tell them to hurry up and go pee and they do learn to go on command. Temperament wise I find they're all individuals. Noah loves a good backscratch and likes to back into a sitting position on my lap if he can get away with it, but he also loves to spend hours outside laying on the back deck. Lightning is a complete and total velcro dog who follows me everywhere and loves to give hugs and kisses. Rain (my only female) is very much like Lightning. She follows me everywhere too and crawls into my lap to cuddle, and both her and Lightning sleep on my bed every night. I can see that she has tendencies to be pretty dominant with the other dogs though. She and her brother Storm get into it sometimes, and she's tried that a few times with a couple of the other dogs, but never Lightning. Storm likes attention and loving, but he is a bit more independent and will sometimes choose to stay out in the yard with Noah (and Thunder), instead of following me around the house. Thunder's a clown, very playful and loving personality with a bit of an independent streak thrown in for good measure (eg. he likes to play on the agility equipment, but on his own terms. He'll do a few obstacles when I ask but then take off and lay down, or go into the tunnel and refuse to come out, or just simply trot on over to the horse's trough for a swim). And that just leaves Flash. He's a good boy but he keeps more to himself. He does like to play with some of the other dogs and sometimes comes seeking attention, but he's also quite happy to just go crawl under the bed and nap there for long periods of time by himself.

For me, our male, Popcorn was easier to housebreak than our female, Pepper. I had both pups fixed at age 4 mos.

Popcorn has never humped anyone or thing except Pepper when she tries to mount him...lol

I have always had females before Popcorn so I didn't really want a male either. But I think I now prefer males...lol. Less bitchiness.

As for the feet wiping after they go only Pepper does that and growls and barks at the same time. VERY funny.

Poppy almost totally lifts his leg when he has to go. He also likes to poop on the highest objects he can find. He backs up to it and just lets go...lol.

I've never had marking in the house. Just accidents when our female had a bladder infection because we didn't know at first.

But as soon as she got on antibiotics the accidents cleared up in two days!!

Hi there!

This isn't a vote either way but I had to put in my two cents:

Our girl Isla is almost 10, and yes she dribbles a bit - but it is very discrete and she is very sweet...

Our boy Rock is 1.5 years old and he pees on his front legs 90% of the time.... both of them. Then he comes in the house. Then he cleans his front legs......

They are both wonderful dogs - Isla is lovely and Rock, well Rock is young and lovable. And they do enjoy one another.

Enjoy whichever you get - we do and we wouldn't change a thing!! (except may the peeing on the leg thing)...

Cheers!

Kyna :rolleyes:

Thanks again you guys, i appreciate all of your views/experiences/ advice. :D

I also am glad i am not the only one to be put off these lovely males because of their bits and bobs bits. lol :rolleyes:

Weeing on the legs, eeeew!! :D

I have decided i am definately now looking for whichever sex suits, still seems funny to me that i think that as i never ever thought i would consider a boy before.

I will be freaked out by the odd things no doubt at first if i have a boy though. It perhaps won't be as bad as i thought after reading all this though.

It has been very helpful to me as if this next time i got a female then the following time it might be a male. So now as i put before i have no sex preference at all, which is good. Actually i am kind of hoping a male will fit better now but i am not going down the only looking for males route either. I am sticking to what comes up first that Holly, myself and hubby all agree on. He is ok with either sex anyway, the boy thing was just me!!! :D

Yeah to be honest after owning nothing but females for decades, I too was put off by males and their dingly dangly "accesories" ...Haha.

But then I ended up with Popcorn, and that all changed.

Now Poppy peed on his front legs too, as he got older, and bigger, and started holding more pee. (Until he got tired of that happening, and figured out how to lift his leg).

I can honestly say I don't miss those days- but I would still get another male.

The only thing is that our dogs often choose us, not us choosing them. And when that happens- it just all doesn't matter anymore.

When we find our heart dog, those things won't matter anymore. Trust me. :rolleyes:

Besides.... Who can argue gender with their heart dog, right? :D

The only 2 things that I disliked about my male rescue was when we got our Christmas tree- the first he ever saw, he was like, "gee thanks guys, it's cold outside and lifted his leg on it". Just took one little aaaaaahhhhh and he figured out it wasn't for him. Also I felt kind of strange rubbing his belly and watching TV and maybe hitting something I shouldn't have. Girls are easier tummy patters, but boys appreciate them more.

The only thing is that our dogs often choose us, not us choosing them. And when that happens- it just all doesn't matter anymore.

When we find our heart dog, those things won't matter anymore. Trust me. :D

I like that :D

The only 2 things that I disliked about my male rescue was when we got our Christmas tree- the first he ever saw, he was like, "gee thanks guys, it's cold outside and lifted his leg on it". Just took one little aaaaaahhhhh and he figured out it wasn't for him.

Arrrh poor boy :rolleyes: After he thought these nice people have brought me a real live tree for my indoor use. :D

What, they aren't for indoor use? :rolleyes: