BC Boards

UNDER THE HANDLERS TENT...

tucknjill

We all were discussing how it might be nice to have a forum/place on these boards for trial buddies to catch up and gossip without clogging up the others sections of this board...Mark thought it could be called under the handlers tent. We were just all saying how much we enjoy chatting back and forth on here..anyway off to bed, I am beat!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, Sam. Love that title! How about it, Eileen?

Of course, Under the Handlers' Tent is perfect for everybody but Charlie. His section would be called Under the Bucket! Sorry, Charlie, just couldn't pass it up!

Now, Sam, will you let us know how everybody did at Wilsons' this weekend? I wish I could have been there.

Mawnin', Sue...

With the possible exception of Sam, most of us would rather NOT talk about how well we did at Edgeworth!

Put it this way, there was perhaps a record number of non-numerical scores on the scoreboard. Course, our heroine did somehow manage a couple of double digit scores that began with 9!

CCnNC, never so happy to see RET!

Good mawnin' back to you, Mister Campbell, sir. Non-numerical, you say? Must have just been too good to put a value on, right?

I still wish I could have been there to watch and enjoy all the folks and dogs that know so much more than I and my Celt do!

Thanks again for your hospitality at Seclusival. I enjoyed talking dogs with you and hearing your expert commentary on everybody else's runs in Open!

Sue wrote...

"hearing your expert commentary on everybody else's runs in Open!"

Wow, that shows how new you were to this back then -- me, expert commentary????????

Here's a great example of my "expert" status.

On Sunday I heard the handler running before me give his dog a "That'll do" as Scout and I were heading for the field. Turns out he had one of the RET runs due to a crossover. Florence asked if he would like to send his dog to fetch the sheep, he did, so I started talking with the Judge about the "creatively interpretitive" run we had on Saturday.

After a while, the sheep had been exhausted, our set was on the way to the setout, so we walked to the post. Scout, expecting a left outrun, set himself up on that side. Doofus handler, still thinking creatively, told him no and set him up to the right and gave him the "sussshhhh" to get things going.

He went straight to the exhaust, took all my flanks, but all in relation to the exhaust.

I said, "thank you", gave Scout a that'll do, Flo asked if I'd like to fetch the sheep to the exhaust, we walked a bit further out on the field, I set him up, sent him to the right, and out he went on a darn nice outrun.

I'm thinking "Darn, why didn't he do that the first time?"

Didn't figure it out until later when my favorite handler in black said "Didn't you see him lock in on the the first set of sheep as they were heading for the exhaust? You should've gone to the on deck place so he wouldn't have seen 'em go down that alley."

So, let that define my "expert" status.

It was a great trial, fantastic weather and even better company. And, don't ask about Saturday's run!

CCnNC aka Colin

So, Colin, about Saturday's creatively interpretive run, are there no words to adequately describe it?

When you are as new and novice as I am, almost everybody is an expert, relatively speaking. You, running in the rarefied heights of Open, do qualify. Plus, you have been willing to speak to me. That counts for something.

As for Sunday, beautiful run, wrong sheep - one out of two isn't bad, is it? Then, beautiful run after retiring. Sounds like a goal to shoot for, for me.

Just got in from working my dogs on the cattle for an hour. It is a lot easier to blow the whistle in the car or on the couch with the whistle CDs playing, than it is in the pasture, trying to walk, avoid cow pies, watch the cows, watch the dogs, etc.

At least the dogs weren't dependent on the whistles or we would have been in a lot more trouble than we were. They don't always listen to English and I'm just starting to use Whistle. Maybe I'll just stick with English.

My little tiny hat is off to all of those like you who are kind and friendly, and share your knowledge and love of working Border Collies with us wannabees.

And, so how did our favorite young and accomplished redhead do? Did she beat all you older handlers? Oops, I meant more experienced handlers.

Though no one would suspect me of being an expert, this definitely reminds me of my recent "duh" moment.

I walked out and Rick set himself up a bit too far, I thought. Instead of calling him back and setting him back up the right way, for some reason I patted my leg and took a step forward. That's my signal at home for, "The sheep are right there." I have a barn that the sheep hide behind - otherwise he could easily find them himself.

If I had an ounce of sense I would have noticed that he immediately pointed himself straight up the field. But I sent him and of course he crossed, in spite of several redirects. He threw a tantrum around the whole rest of the course. There isn't anything that makes him madder than not finding sheep where I send him.

Sue, Red was the star, hands down, of the board members here. Sam was second and first, whoops, I mean fourth (first go) and second (second go) with Tucker and placed with Grace also the first run - I don't remember where. Christine Koval (Valhalla) from the boards was seventh with Rook second run. I was 12th with Mick second run, and Eileen (Meg) and I (Mick) tied along with Judy Mason for 13th, the last placing run first go round, with both of us losing to Judy on the outwork. Robin French had a nice run with Gael second go. Mark got the best pic of the trial (between Mark and I) during her shed. I'll post some pics later when I get time to download them. Between the two of us, we captured some pretty good shots of the action to show you guys. Others (Christine ) may also post some pics I hope.

Wow, what a great weekend that must have been for all!

Denise, thanks for posting that fine picture of Mark's. That is one of those amazing moments where the photo is right on that split second of the action. It looks like Gael is changing direction just like a cutting horse.

Maybe you should rent out your old camera for trial photographers-in-the-making! Yours and Mark's photo-taking sure beats my style of "Stand still, don't move, wait a minute, doggone I didn't have this thing turned on, do that again, etc." when I take pictures with my little point and shoot with a zoom. And my photos where the scenery may be gorgeous, you can pretty well see the cows, and the dog's that little black and white dot right there!

Wow, what a relief!!!!!!!!!!!

Just back from a quick errand run and now I know that all my bad handlin' over the weekend wasn't my fault!!!!

On Thursday I had the camper hooked up to the truck and remembered one more thing I needed to get. Jumped in the mini-van, went to the store, got what I needed and headed back to the house. At one point I heard an odd thunk, looked around and saw the right outside rearview mirror was GONE!!! The housing and all was still there, just the mirror had disappeared.

And, you know what they say about breaking a mirror, I just hope I used up all the bad karma on the trial field.

What else could explain that out of 400 plus fresh sheep run on Saturday, we would get THE ONE *&^%#@##@#&^ ewe that would decide to lie down and take a nap after the lift???? She was sleeping so soundly even the final ear grip Scout gave her didn't cause a stir. But, as soon as she heard the "that'll do" whistle, she rejoined the groupd and walked smartly to the exhaust.

Tell ya what, I'm gonna be a LOT more careful with mirrors from here on out!

CCnNC

Just don't believe those folks that tell you sheep are dumb! Sounds like this one knew your whistles just as well as Scout did!

I simply wish I could blow the dumb thing and get the right note out, or at least a note out that sounded the same twice in a row. Or something workable!

Barb, you're welcome to sit in any empty chair, but you'll have to get up if the owner comes back wanting to sit down (tent etiquette).
Thanks, Mark. I wasn't even thinking about a chair - just lurking somewhere around. Though my trainer has a chair she brought with her from the US because it has apparently been sat on by some of the top handlers! Now, do you think sitting in that chair might help me - or should I put the dog in the chair?

Seriously, it is fun listening to you guys - especially since I can sort of understand now.

Robin, you put a bug into Renee's mind during the "puppy show"; I'd expect to hear from her.

You all missed Jody at the puppy show. Carla asked if she was for sale; of course I said no for two reasons: I like her and more importantly Renee would kill me before I could sell her. Hey Sam, I believe Flo used the term "sensible" when describing Jody. :rolleyes:

Mark

Mark, that'd be fine. That bug was buzzing in my ear this morning too.

I hated to miss Jody, i REALLY wanted to see her. I'd have stayed but the mule train was going without me if i did. Maybe i'll get the chance to see her again soon.

I sure love puppies! We worked 4 of the Spottie pups yesterday with Julie Simpson. Keen little things they are.

Yesterday was a banner day for me & Jody. I managed to set things up right and she was doing short outruns (about 50 feet) with me halfway between. They were beautifully shaped and she was feeling the balance point. WooHoo!!!!!!! :rolleyes::D:D

I was doing the "happy dance" out on the field.