BC Boards

sticky dog

wc

Guest PrairieFire

Yep, he spoiled me, he was my first "real" dog - more than a farm dog who chased a bit - and he's getting on in years...I wrote "For a good dog" for him...

I can't imagine what he would have been like with a "real" handler...as it is, he taught me much...

Now, I just have to figure out this formula one racer I've been trying to run...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inci,

Problem was that I was holding the line and we were near sheep! Had just finished working the sheep with him and picked up the line less than 10 feet from him to make sure he would come off with me, with enough slack to make sure it was his decision. The sheep was so close as it came between us that the pup tried to grab a piece of it. There's a picture of him working, actually it was taken the same day, it's the one of Zac at the bottom of the page. http://www.geocities.com/nobernier2002/win...l?1042214420484

I liked your idea of the 2 way radios "Can you hear me NOW!"

Well now that's it's raining, the snow will compact, so that when it freezes again on Monday there will be a foot of solid ice!

Hi Andrea, are you coming down for Scott's clinic and any trials?

Nancy O

In SE PA

Hi Nancy,

I love that gambrel restrainer. It's the best investment I made. Looks like too much snow and rain for tomorrow. I guess we will have to re-schedule. The picture of Bryn on your homepage looks awsome. The out building are flooding. What a winter!! This is a good topic about sticky dogs. It's right up Hope's alley. I'll be trying every suggestion. Don't you just love this border collie board site. I'm here lerking every day. Leraning everything I can. Very nice people here.

Diane, Hope, Willow & Joe Joe

Hi Diane,

I figured that, we'll have to reschedule if the weather ever gets better.

Zac is a pup that top handlers thought had way too much eye, he would go a few feet and stop, go a few feet and stop, or not go around at all, until you put him in a large field. Patrick Shannahan had said, I wouldn't have known that was the same dog from this morning, forget what I said about him this morning.(in the morning in was in a small area about 200x300 and in the afternoon he was in a much larger field)The larger area seems to free him up, he now seems to have a nice amount of eye, remains very intense, and moves around his sheep to balance on his own. I can now work him in a smaller area without him being sticky.

I wonder what would have happened with him if I hadn't kept trying to get help with him from different people, he's well bred and I figured there should be something good in there. Some other top handlers couldn't get him around his sheep either because of the stickiness.

Nancy O

Guest totallyterry2003

This has been a great thread. I wish that I had read it earlier. I would have contibuted by 2 cents. (The value of my contribution)

I have been told, as I once owned a very sticky dog, besides the perpetual motion to put the dog on whistles early. Sharp shriller whistles that tend to encourage them and/or break the trance.

(I didn't follow that advice and lived to regret it)

Nancy,

How do I find your website?

Siesta's with liquid refreshments in April---before or after working you dog....your preference. Too bad that you can't take it to the post....uunnatural courage is not allowed.

Terry

Hi Terry, if you click on the link in my previous post it will take you to the site.

If you had the liquid refreshment at Siesta time you probably wouldn't wake up for your afternoon run!

I had also been told not to let Zac lie down because of his "stickyness" The problem seems to have resolved itself in the larger field.

Sometimes he will stop short if someone is holding out, but I think this is more a very young dog not knowing what to do with someone else out there, rather than a sticky issue. Bobby Dalziel would crack his whip to make the dog go around the sheep (he didn't crack it at the dog or on the dog but next to his (Bobby's) leg)The noise seemed to get Zac's attention enough to make him want to move, where a crook banged on the ground or a flappy arm didn't have any affect at all.

Interesting about the whistles.

Nancy O

Terry's probably on her way to Nancy's trial in Georgia so I'll answer for her (I'm sure she'll be grateful):

Now that I think of it, I DO recall her sleeping through a couple of afternoon sessions at the Scott Glen clinic. Hmmm, and she told me all she brought was those SlimFast things, tried to bring them out for dinner one night too.

A.