BC Boards

Tips for remembering directions

JaderBug

Jader am I wrong in understanding that you and your dog are new to herding and you are now in the learning process, if I am wrong please ignore this. I have been thinking about this. I can't think in terms of right and left. No matter how I picture it I think in terms of a clock and the balance point is in fact always 12:00 because I set it that way. I am talking about controlled practice sessions and in real work things can be quite different. This is getting more complicated than I thought it might. Find whatever works for you.

DTrain you're right about Jade and I both being novices. I'm sure I am making many mistakes (completely uninentionally, out of ignorance) and I know I have a lot to learn and am trying my best. I was originally taught with the 12:00 original balance point as well but that it's not always the balance point or whatever. I know what I mean, just can't say it right :rolleyes: My motive for the go bye/away frisbee business was because I guess in my mind I was thinking it would help her learn her directions (and me too) because she is very motivated by her frisbee- just thought it might help her. Didn't think of the context not being the same- again, a mistake from ignorance. But it's a good point, and I didn't think of the potential outrun problems that might arise from it, so I won't be using that with frisbee anymore. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jader if you don't tell anyone else on this board and sorry if I need to leave out some information but I took my dog Pete, a full blown stock, herding and trials dog and turned him on to frisbee ( don't say anything ). I can throw a frisbee as hard and as far as I like and ask Pete for an outrun ( shhhhh ). He will go for it and every single time he will flank the frisbee and go to his balance point. Strange however, when I take Pete to work he knows exactly what to do. I may get an argument about this but do not discount creative training and work activities with your dog. If nothing else it is a lot of fun and Pete is living proof that the dog thinks so to. Think of your dog as you think of a clock if you wish to use that method, he is the focal point, you are the balance and the sheep are your target. Your dog takes the greatest pleasure and pride in bringing that stock to you. I know I am going to get shot for this but that is the kind of trainer and handler I am and It works for me. There is nothing I like more than to just let my dog Pete bring the stock to me any way he wishes and believe me he gets a kick out of it. Do what works for you and your dog, do what feels good and satisfies you and your dog, this is supposed to be fun. I wish you much fun.

I've seen dogs that are trained to do "outruns" with a frisbee; at a trial, I remember once a dog was sent (away, I think it was), and the dog went out about 40 yards, and turned to look expectantly at the handler, waiting for the frisbee. Too bad the cattle were several hunderd yards away. Dog had no idea how to look for them,

A

There is nothing I like more than to just let my dog Pete bring the stock to me any way he wishes and believe me he gets a kick out of it. Do what works for you and your dog, do what feels good and satisfies you and your dog, this is supposed to be fun. I wish you much fun.

And I guess that, there, is the difference. The training of the dogs at my place focuses on the calm, effective movement of livestock. My sheep are not toys for anyone's dogs, nor entertainment for the humans that come and go. Unfortunately, DTrain, you're not the first person I've run into whose main focus is "fun" for both dog and handler, where the welfare of the sheep plays a very peripheral role in all of it.

I just had this funny vision come to mind that was not so funny last week. Last week I went down to work with Bob Johnson in one of his fields down in Tingley, it was Jake's first expirence in that big of a space so we didn't know where to start. I sent my dog, he went out perfect, the right direction, a little to the sheep but kicking out into the perfect pear shape, he landed at the top, I thought, man we have it made, and then it all went to he!!, he lifted like a freight train, I guess he didn't expect the sheep to move, I gave him a lie down command but he was having to much fun, I was trying to trot 200+ yards cussing "Jake you rotten SOB, blankity blank" thinking maybe he can't hear me, as to the reason why he's continueing his game of bust'em and collect them, well Bob told me that he could hear me just fine, he was just having fun. Bob was there at the set out, he's kinda hard of hearing and could clearly hear the cussing I was engaged in as I was coming up the field. BTW, we brought it in closer to tune on the Jakester and ended up going back to the long distance and he did a nice job, he must have just forgotten that he wasn't a puppy anymore. Nope Jake's not allowed to have fun with the sheep, not until his idea of fun falls into allignment with my idea of fun.

I have a feeling the DTrain's dog's idea of fun falls into the catagory of correct fun not incorrect fun as in what my dog would like to engage in.

Deb