BC Boards

Should I give up my sweet BC for a better (car free) life outside the suburbs?

I don't find that surprising at all. And by continuing to give him bones (under some circumstances), you were probably (accidently) diluting your ecollar work. Which is one of the reasons why ecollar-trained dogs needs refresher courses.

e.g Dog gets zapped with ecollar when it sees snake. Then dog sees snake and doesn't get zapped, so original work with snake proofing becomes diluted over time.

Same goes for using the ecollar in the car chasing context, etc.

Since the ecollar "bait" was organ meats, Luke generalized to bones. While I think the dog's understanding of how the world works can change over time I don't believe that older Fly's not running so far on walks is a degrade - I don't run so far on walks either and my understanding isn't worse though my lungs are.

I think training degradation depends not on the training methods but how important the training is within a particular dog's world. When Gael was dying, long after she couldn't have taken a flank or a down we had to carry her from her bed outside every four hours so she could pee or poop.

Donald McCaig

If you go this route, I personally suggest the SportDog collar. It has very, very adjustable settings so you can tweak the amount of stimulation for a sensitive dog. Ours has 7 settings plus a vibrate with three buttons so essentially 21 levels of stimulation. My very, very stubborn BC/Lab works at a 2 low typically, we've never hit above a 5 low/med for her, and in the last year or so she's actually been off collar much more than on so the dog wouldn't necessarily be stuck on a collar for the rest of her life, if that's one of your fears (as I've commonly heard in arguments against the collars).

Additionally, if you happen to be in the Midwest and choose to look into a rescue, feel free to message me because I am in touch with three large groups in the area that could assist you with both resources for training (the most common foster failures are with "problem" dogs that nobody else wants or that the fosters just can't bear to let go of) and a possible placement if you choose to go with that option.

Dear Ms. Hibbs,

Wherever this dog goes there'll be cars and you're right - nobody can be vigilant all the time.

If she were mine I'd try an ecollar (shock collar) WITH INSTRUCTION FROM A GOOD ECOLLAR TRAINER.

Please note: there are as many lousy ecollar trainers as lousy positive trainers and the lousy ecollar trainers can do more damage. If you decide to try it, post me privately and I'll ask around for someone near you. "Near" to a sheepdogger means a one way. 2/3 hour drive.

Winnie can learn to loathe traffic but that would be easier if she had something better to obsess on WITH YOU. (Agiltiy, SAR, obedience, stock work.)

Ecollars aren't the first place I go with a dog but when it's life or death . . .

Donald McCaig

Interestingly, where I live (the state of South Australia) it is illegal to place on an animal any collar designed to deliver an electric shock, whether you use the function or not. Maximum penalty is a $10,000 fine or 1 year imprisonment.

This is in our animal welfare legislation.