BC Boards

Need healthy diet for suddenly toothless BC

Ceredwyn

My rescue girl Belle spent most of her life in a puppy mill and at 9 years old has HORRIBLE teeth. So we anxiously awaited doggie dental month for our discount, because we knew it was going to be kind of a big deal. Hoo boy was it :rolleyes: .

I took her to the vet's at 8 a.m. for her deep cleaning under anesthesia and hernia repair. When I didn't get a call until 1 PM, I was worried, more about the hernia than anything else. Our vet's pretty good with the communications. When she finally called, I found out the hernia wasn't her biggest problem. Her teeth weren't just horrible, they were terminal. She didn't have a whole bunch of teeth to start with, and soon she won't have any. The vet didn't want to keep her under long enough to take them all today, but she says they're really beyond saving.

She doesn't have to fend for herself in the woods, but obviously her current diet isn't going to work any more. What is a healthy diet for a toothless dog??? I've never fed canned dog food, and don't know whether any of it's any good. I don't mind cooking for her, but don't know what would be best. I am in new territory here.

She'll obviously need something REALLY soft and gentle while her gums heal.

I'm needing advice in a big way!

DSCN2362.jpg

I haven't experienced this before but I've heard that most dogs manage fine with their regular kibble just being moistened with water or broth so that it is soft. If you cook for her, you can always puree her food in a blender to canned food consistency. I'm sure others will have better food recipes than me but I do cook for 15 y.o. Sara because of her liver issues and her grain allergies - per my vet's recommendation, I basically just fix stews with poultry/meat, lots of veggies, brown rice or potatoes - she gets a multivitamin every day - and I give her fruit/veggies as treats. This may not be a satisfactory diet for a younger dog who is still active but my old girl's doing well on it.

My DH is downtrodden about this -- he LOVES to give her bits of whatever he's eating (and of course, she love it, too), and he's gonna have to watch it, now.

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I know she'll be a lot healthier without the infected teeth & gums, it has to have been painful. I'm REALLY glad I told them to go ahead with the pain meds now. I remember last time I lost a tooth - OWWWW!

As long as she can pick up a ball, she'll be happy.

Aw, poor Belle! I'm sure she'll be much more comfortable without the infected teeth and gums, and her overall health will be better without the constant inflammation. Sounds like you can adapt a regular diet. I'll just add that Daisy and Molly LOVE scrambled eggs, so maybe that would be a good source of protein once or twice a week. You can leave the shells in -- crumbled up, of course -- as a calcium source.

Fortunate Belle to have found you to love her. Anyone who buys a puppy from a pet store should have to listen to her story so they can understand what they are supporting.

Eggs! Well, duh.... Thank you. I hate to admit I didn't even THINK about eggs. Gene likes his eggs & bacon, too. Their feeding sessions will continue :rolleyes: !!

You're right. I just can't even think about where her puppies ended up. But her sweet spirit is a testimony to why we love dogs; she went through all that and still came out the gentlest, most loving little soul I've ever known.

Youch. Poor dear. But at least she should be feeling much better very soon!

All good ideas here. I generally feed raw, but recently made a chicken stew in the crockpot - a whole chicken, carrots, celery, zucchini (no onions though). It does need to be de-boned, but afterwards, I put it through the food processor, just to mix everything up, and not let the picky one delete the carrots. It was truly mush! Lotta work, but of course dogs thought it was great. If you feed moistened kibble regularly, this could be a special treat. If you want to do something like this on a regular basis, you'll need to add some calcium and either a vitamin or other supplements.

Other soft stuff that doesn't need to be chewed would be those yummy scrambled eggs, cottage or ricotta cheese, yogurt, and canned fish (salmon or jack mackeral - you can just crush the bones with the back of a spoon). Heck, I don't think most dogs chew much anyway - this really shouldn't be a big deal!

Best of luck to you all!

diane

Something that goes down the gullet easily- maybe like a really light stew- you know, the consistency of Tapioca- just for the first few days. Since they did so much work, she will be sore, but as long as nothing is abrasive she should be okay. She is on antibiotics right? As for canned food, Evangers makes a very good quality canned product, but I think you will need something more 100% balanced later. You may be able to make some stew for her and freeze it- once she's healed.

There are some consultants you can go with to work with you to create a balanced healthy homeade diet if you like. Anything like a stew is going to be fine for her. As someone mentioned, even kibble softened is okay because in all honesty dogs don't really "chew" anything. Even bones can still be fun - I had a dog who was toothless in his final days and unbelieveably he could still crunch up small bones like chicken backs and necks.

If you crockpot poultry for about 30 hours (depends on the pot), the bones will get mushy and quite safe to feed. Or, you can buy a pressure cooker and prepare food in it that is similar to the recipes you get in cans - including safe bone-in meals. I'd love to own a pressure cooker but I already own three kitchen applicances that I basically only use for the dogs so I think if I added another I'd lose a husband. :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how my dogs seem to inhale their food when they eat. Other than chewy sticks, I've often wondered if mine even use their teeth when they eat! I'm a big egg fan myself- it's a great source of protein and the yokes are rich in vitamin E and of course dogs love them soft boiled too! Belle looks very sweet, I'm sure she'll do fine with her new diet.

Not a dog, but I rescued an old tom cat partly because the poor thing had chronic tooth infections that made it impossible for him to eat. Once the dentistry was done, all he had left were his canines. He still ate regular cat kibble just fine. I think Belle could eat smaller kibble without even having it moistened--not suggesting that you do that, but I think once her mouth heals she'll be able to eat more than you think she should be able to.

Mine who are on kibble now certainy don't really chew it. Even the raw fed break off chunks and swallow. They don't have the teeth (or the need) for chewing food that we do.

J.

Thanks for your support, everyone!

Belle came through with flying colors (and a big appetite). She ended up with a foot-long incision in her tummy and had ten teeth extracted. It was a long procedure, and they did as much as they could without taxing her too much with the anesthesia. She'll go back in six months and we'll see what more time with good nutrition (and some antibiotics for a while) and good hygiene does. Chances are, most of the rest of her toofies will go, but maybe not.

She's DEFINITELY on soft diet for now and for at least the next two weeks. I'm going to try some of the stew and adding more veggies for her.

She definitely made some new friends -- there are a couple of new vet students at the clinic, and they're in love with her. But then, what's not to love?

Here she is, a little groggy, but on her favorite couch!

recuperate.jpg