BC Boards

Border Collie movie-documentary being filmed in UK

mtnfrank

Just saw this film project today (through Google news), looks like it could be interesting (out Dec 2013?):

http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/local-headlines/shadowcat-films-launches-border-collie-documentary-1-2898680

http://shadowcatfilms.com/border-collies

http://shadowcatfilms.com/blog

"We are particularly interested in speaking to people who work / have worked with Border Collies. They need to be from the Northumberland or Scottish Borders area. We are looking not only for people (and dogs!) to appear in the film, but also for people who might be interested in sharing memories but not appearing on camera."

• 2 months later...

Hi mtnfrank,

I am the director of the film being shot currently about Border Collies. It is due out mid/late December 2013. So far it's been going well in filming, and we are working with several shepherds throughout Northumberland, in England, and the Scottish Borders.

There's going to be a lot included in the film. We see some puppies just a day after they were born and then again at five weeks. We follow two four month old puppies first times to sheep, as well as seeing shepherds go about their day to day work with their dogs and also trialling. We are involving the work done by search and rescue dogs, and also the rescuing and rehoming of Border Collies themselves.

The film is intended to be an insight into the breed in it's working capacity, and is all set in the sumptuous landscape of the Scottish Borders, and Northumberland, where the Border Collie originated.

We really hope it will be enjoyed by everyone who sees it throughout the world.

Alysoun

Hi Alysoun,

Thank you very much for posting! I look forward to seeing your film.

If I might ask, would you post again here when the film is being sold and/or released? There is a large working border collie community on this forum that enjoys pretty much anything related to the dogs we love.

Regards,

Vicki

Hi Jovi, and Vicki,

Thanks for the replies! yes the film will be available on DVD, and will be region free so we can post and it can be viewed all over the world.

I will certainly keep everyone posted. If no one objects I will also post progress updates, perhaps monthly, as the filming process has been pretty interesting. We have some beautiful pictures, but I haven't worked out how to add them to a post here!

Thanks again,

Alysoun

Thanks so much, so pleased people have been enjoying them, there's loads more to come! We're off out today to film a new Shepherd in Northumberland, and then this afternoon we are revisiting a shepherd we've already filmed, and a shepherdess, she's taking some advice on one of her Border Collies. It's a sunny day, so it ought to be good!

• 4 weeks later...

The most recent filming we undertook was with Paul Turnbull, extremely experienced at working with Border Collies, he has won the English Nationals 3 times, and One Man and his Dog in 1994. A very nice gentleman, we filmed him working with Lad.

Lad.jpg

We also recently filmed with Emma Gray, author of the book 'One girl and her dogs'. We had a good day and the rain held off, Emma's interview will be featured in the Documentary, along with her working with Roy, one of her best dogs. Her other best dog Alfie had hurt his toe and so had to watch from the sidelines.

emma.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello again, I thought I'd let people on this site know that our film about Border Collies has now been released on DVD, you can view a trailer here, hope you enjoy it:

Thanks for all the interest in the film!

Thank you for the lovely feedback!

Camden's Mom, the film is 67 minutes long, and there are no extra features, although there is an inlay in the case with a original poem by a local man about relationship between man and dog, first time it's been published. Thanks for the interest!