BC Boards

stay

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

What recommendations do you have for enforcing a stay? The pup I've been inquiring about has been coming alonq quite well, and will "stay" out of the field forever, and will "stay" relativly well with a few reminders. However, when I lay her down to walk to the other side of the sheep, even though I talk to her she still gets up. I then blow through the sheep at her and that only winds her up more.

Guest aurdank

After you lie her down, walk to the other side of the sheep, but face her as you do so that you can make sure she won't move, and don't say anything to her if she's remaining still. If you talk to her as you're walking back, she will indeed get up, as she will think that you are asking her to do something. If she gets up as you are walking silently, then retrace your steps, take gentle hold of her and return her to the spot where you had originally placed her and say firmly "stay". Don't bust through the sheep at her, because in a way that's rewarding her for moving when not asked. She moves when not asked and you jazz up the sheep: just what she'd like, no doubt. Alternatively, you can just walk back toward her in a firm way, and as you do say "lie down". Repeat that until she does, then stop and walk back; you might add a "stay" for emphasis and a slight gentle shake of her collar.