BC Boards

Another informal poll: where do your dogs live, kennel, house or other?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 Border Collies live in the house, although during the day when I'm home, they have free access to an acre and a quarter of 'garden', maybe make that wilderness :rolleyes: .

My first dog I had as an adult (Border CollieXKelpie started off as an outside dog, but 'wormed' her way in. By the time I got my first Border Collie 2 years later, I was converted to 'dogs inside'. I like to have them with me, even if they are sound asleep, which they usually are if nothing is happening.

The 2 cats are inside/outside cats, although I try to keep them in at night.

I didnt answer previously but we have 4 dogs ( 8 yr old Aussie, 6 yr old GSD, 2 yr old Boston Terrier, 6m old Border), 2 cats (in and out... we live in the country), 1 Goffins Cockatoo. Everybody sleeps inside the house structure (ok the cockatoo's cage is in the garage but we live in san diego). The dogs all sleep in our bedroom. If anybody knows anything about Bostons, he sleeps under the covers between hubby and I. Everybody else sleeps on the floor... the border sleeps under the bed. The Boston got me in to agility to help him gain confidence... and now I like it more than he does... hence the Border baby. Love em all. Lysa and (in order of age, Loki the cockatoo, Micah, Mason (cat), Magnus, Molly (cat), Major and Merlin the Border Collie... my hubby wanted everybody with M's...go figure)

We have them all inside right now. We are building some inside/outside kennels and will move the working dogs outside when they are done. Maggie and Ben will be inside all the time, Jen will be in most of the time, and the two (soon three) full-time workers will be kenneled when not hanging out with us for whatever reason.

We all have asthma and my goal next year is to cut down on the dog ick as much as possible, as it's getting a little ridiculous.

every single one of my animals are indoor. the dogs are never outside for more then 5 minuts at a time, unless we are outside with them, they hate being seperated from us longer then it takes to run 2 laps around the yard, potty and bark at the door to come back in lol and the Rabbit goes outside to graze in the summer, but that is supervized only(free run of back yard) the rest of the animals dont go outside at all.

All the dogs I've ever had have been indoor pets, treated more like children and siblings. Riley not only lives in the house, but he goes practically everywhere I go, too... the farm, airport, training hills, anywhere dogs are allowed. unless I'm out to eat or drink, or in class, he's by my side.

All the dogs are inside except when someone's outside to play with them. The dogs here spend a lot of time outdoors with my dad, who is often puttering around the yard. They sometimes like to go out on their own to petrol the (fenced) yard of squirrels and other evil creatures. The fiance's dog can only go outside on-leash, as he has no recall yet and no fenced yard yet (sigh). My parents have one outdoor cat (the oldest), one indoor-outdoor cat (who gets to come and go as he pleases), and my cat (and all my future cats) is indoor-only.

I mean, really, what is life if you don't trip over something every time you turn around?

The 5 dogs technically "live" inside but spend variable amounts of time outside depending upon the season and their behavior. One cat is an inside-outside cat and the other two are exclusively inside animals. We occasionally also "house" bottle lambs in our kitchen during the winter because it's easier than running outside to feed them in our Syracuse winters. One particularly spoiled bottle lamb took to sleeping in the living room on a hassock (but that's another story). The other animals live outside (and/or in the barns).

Kim

Two dogs are like fish-poo - they follow us wherever we go, doesn't matter inside/outside.
I had a good laugh at that one!!!

And echo... doesn't Lucy know to wear matching socks? I mean, ankle on one side and high-top on the other! (incredibly cute though) I like asymetric markings

We have two dogs, a golden X, Chase Brown and a border X, Moose. They are both inside dogs, although Moose has decided he likes to be outside as much as possibe. Luckily we have a fenced yard so I don't have to worry about cars.

Both dogs sleep on the bed with my husband and me. Moose stays all night but Chase gets annoyed if we move too much and will sigh and get off! We actually just bought a king bed so we'd all be more comfortable. Needless to say they are both spoiled rotten, emphasis on the rotten in Moose's case!

Outside in the day and inside at night, though as Tia's getting older she likes to spend longer times outside before coming in. If it's really hot she's in under the fans, same with the cat. I'm glad this subject was brought up. Apart from fencing issues why are so many inside?

Sally

Now that my numbers are up over 7, I am building kennels. Some will be inside/outside dogs and some will be inside only dogs....

the working dogs seem to like to stay outside mostly. Even in the cold they are waiting at the door for the dog door to be opened. They usually sleep right outside the dog door in case I start to feed without them (they hear the closet and come running). I have a dog coming who has been an outside dog for his 2 years of life. He is why the kennels got started but I plan on making him both an inside/outside dog.

Husband laughs and says the kennels are for us not the dogs!

Until I was over 4 dogs I didn't mind them in the house, now it's a bit much.

I also have a daughter that recently moved out so as quickly as I can I'm turning the spare bedroom into a dog room with crates and such. Will she get the hint?

my cats are in/outside cats but with the dog door they all come and go as they please.

can't wait till my kennels are done!

Happy holidays

Kristen

It's based upon their personalities and/or health. One was raised as a kennel dog before we got him and he has never learned to walk calmly across the floors; he always scrambles on his nails, stairs are something else. He never would learn to calm down on hard floors. Our first doesn't get out much anymore because he's prone to go off and be sick, on the carpet never on the tile.

Mark

I have a pet door and fenced yard so although mine are indoor they come and go freely 24/7, except on bitter cold nights. When the pet door is locked,they wake me very early in the morning. It is so funny to see them lined up in front of the door. Such wonderous creatures.

Now that the snow & cold has arrived in the Northeast Cocoa the rough coat tri spends all day outside playing in it. She loves it. Part eskimo I think. She is the reason I have to lock the pet door. She will stand on the porch and put her head through the door to watch me in the kitchen,yodeling the entire time. Like it is TV or something and she has a running commentary. Makes for a very cold kitchen.

Toni

Originally posted by Susan M. & Skipper, and Annie, too:

Posting on the previous poll made me wonder how many of you have your dogs living inside with you, especially those with multiple dog households?

All my dogs are in the house at night and outside in large indoor/outdoor runs while I am at work during the day. On the weekends, when I am at home, they are with me wherever I am. The young pups and Mick sleep in a crate at night, while Bess and Rook are loose all the time. Rook sleeps in the bed with me, too!

That leads me to another question...

How many of you with successful trial/competition dog(s) lets their dog(s) sleep in the bed with them? And by successful I mean doing well in canine competitions (trials, agility matches, flyball, frisbee competitions, etc). For instance, I know Tucker sleeps in Sam's bed with she and Steve and aside from not always stopping on the fetch :rolleyes: , Tucker is a super listener and a proven winner. I have heard some people say that you should not let a dog sleep where you sleep because it portrays the message that they are your equal and you are not the dominant one. It could depend on the particular dog, but mostly I think it is a bunch of ka ka.

Originally posted by Valhalla:

That leads me to another question...

How many of you with successful trial/competition dog(s) lets their dog(s) sleep in the bed with them? And by successful I mean doing well in canine competitions (trials, agility matches, flyball, frisbee competitions, etc).

OK, so my dog does not actually compete yet, but we are getting there in probably another year and a half - in agility - only because I can't start him next winter due to tax season.

However, I feel that Keegan has gained more obedience over the last 6 months and is also allowed to sleep in our bed. Although, he really prefers to sleep in his bed beside our bed and only joins us when I first stir in the morning. WE then "cuddle" for a few minutes before I get out of bed and he stays.

I don't think he find himself to be equal with us because we set the boundaries that he is NOT!!!! Plus I like cuddling in the morning, it makes it harder to get out of bed, but it is nice! :rolleyes:

christine wrote...I have heard some people say that you should not let a dog sleep where you sleep because it portrays the message that they are your equal and you are not the dominant one. It could depend on the particular dog, but mostly I think it is a bunch of ka ka.

i think it sends a "status" message to the other dogs in your household if one gets to sleep in the bed and the others don't. I don't think it's a problem for that particular dog as long as he is invited onto the bed and does not just "allow you to sleep with him there". None of mine are bed dogs at this point - everybody sleeps in crates. Main reason - I sleep/rest a lot better without having to make allowances for dogs in the bed. Also, a couple of them are too "active" at night to be trusted loose in the house.