BC Boards

questions about my BCs first period

My 8mo BC is having her first period. I'm kind of suprised because I thought it wouldn't start until they were 12mo. Anyway, I will be getting her fixed very soon, but in the mean time I just have a few questions.

How often do they cycle?

Do they heat before the period?

How long does the bleeding and swelling last?

Are they more aggervated during this time? (mine is)

Do they eat less during this time? (mine is)

As you can tell, I really don't have a clue of what's going on and I would appriciate any information.

Thank you

Hee hee hee- call it what it is in dogs- either heat, or season :rolleyes: Sometimes they have a mini-heat, and go out and then have a true heat later. It is different for every dog. Domestic dogs for the most go into heat twice a year. The bleeding can last up to three weeks. Temperament doesn't generally change too much- save for attitude toward pushy males. I suppose they can eat less, but mine didn't :D

WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT leave her unsupervised ANYWHERE- no off leash at any time. Not even in a fenced yard unsupervised every second. She will be attractive to males, and may even take off on her own to find one.

Julie

My 8mo BC is having her first period. I'm kind of suprised because I thought it wouldn't start until they were 12mo. Anyway, I will be getting her fixed very soon, but in the mean time I just have a few questions.

How often do they cycle?

Do they heat before the period?

How long does the bleeding and swelling last?

Are they more aggervated during this time? (mine is)

Do they eat less during this time? (mine is)

As you can tell, I really don't have a clue of what's going on and I would appriciate any information.

Thank you

First off, dogs don't have "periods". Try the search function at the top of the page using "heat" or "season" or "estrus".

Roughly, bitches can come into first heat any time from about 5 or 6 months on to over a year of age. Border Collies from working lines often mature late and don't come into season until 10 months or later. Many bitches will regularly come into season about every six months. Others may cycle at somewhat longer intervals.

A general guideline is about a week coming into heat, which is manifested by some behavioral changes in many bitches but often a refusal to accept a male, as the vulva swells and some colorless or pale discharge may be seen (often with quite a bit of licking, which will continue throughout the season). Then there is about a week of bloody discharge and willingness (eagerness!) to accept (and sometimes to seek and find) a male or males. This is followed by about a week of pale discharge, reduced swelling, and often refusal again to accept the male. These are just very generalized.

Do not allow you bitch any contact with an intact male (of any size, shape, or age) during this entire time. Males can and do breed bitches through fences and the act of tying (it takes about 20 minutes or so of "connection" to complete the breeded, and you can't separate tied dogs) can come about so fast you can barely realize what's about to happen.

There was an excellent thread with details on this posted somewhat recently but, with my slow dial-up, I just didn't locate it for you.

Best wishes at keeping her safe and single, and getting her spayed as soon as can be done.

Get her spayed ASAP. Females having their first cycle are very unpredictable and can get pregnant anywhere from days after they start bleeding to months later if they have a split cycle. Don't risk an accident. Besides, since this is her first cycle she will only develop more blood vessels to her uterus the longer you wait.

How often do they cycle? anywhere from every 4 months to every 18 months

Do they heat before the period? ??? heat? their "heat cycle" includes the bleeding you are seeing

How long does the bleeding and swelling last? unpredictable in a first time dog, days to weeks and the swelling can last months if she isn't spayed

Are they more aggervated during this time? (mine is) many are

Do they eat less during this time? (mine is) some

Anyway, I will be getting her fixed very soon

If you always planned on getting her fixed you should have had it done before her first "heat". Chances of her getting uterine cancer are almost zero then. After the first heat it climbs to like 10% of something, and keeps going up each hate she goes through until it levels off.

I'd make sure she's fixed before her next heat.

If you always planned on getting her fixed you should have had it done before her first "heat".

Just so the OP knows, this is a matter of some debate. One that has been done, so I'm not starting it up again here. :D

But that's good, that you're getting her spayed soon. As others have said, don't take your eyes off her till then. The only time my 10 month old, who still hasn't "become a young lady" (as my mother would've put it :rolleyes: ) is out of my sight is when she's in her crate, in her bedroom, with all doors shut.

Just so the OP knows, this is a matter of some debate. One that has been done, so I'm not starting it up again here. :rolleyes:

Just repeating what both of my vets have told me.