BC Boards

Something new

"Ted" is our 3 year old border collie who is an absolute delight. This past week, or so, he has been going down into the basement in the evening or into a bedroom away from my husband and I. He is eating real well, and my husband (who is retired and home during the day) says that he acts perfectly fine throughout the day. Currently I work until around 5, and when I get home, Ted is a little more standoffish and will go "hide" in the basement or bedroom until we call him out, then he will sleep in the living room while we watch tv or whatever. It has only been the last week, or so, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what they think may be going on. Thanks!

As some of our dogs have gotten older, they seek out more down time from us and the other dogs. For them, it doesn't mean anything. They just like a little privacy now and then. We are also retired, and maybe they just don't need to be with a human all the time, as much as they love us. Unless you begin to notice behavior changes that might be health issues, I would give Ted his space and see how it goes.

Kathy Robbins

Unless you find any other things "off," this may be normal for him. My older male, Nick, has always been one to go off by himself in the evenings. His favorite place is the bedroom, where he can nap in his open crate or on one of the beds back there. I think he just likes the privacy!

Then when we all go to sleep, he's right there in the bedroom with us. Interestingly, his son Ben who is almost 1 year old has started doing the same thing ... :P

~ Gloria
P.S.
If you don't like him going to the basement alone, maybe you could just put a baby gate up to block it off?

Yes, different life stages can come with behavioral changes as others have said.

One other thing to consider is if there have been any subtle changes that might not be on your radar. Are you coming home at a different time than you used to? Has your husband retired just recently, which could have altered Ted's environment? Has your job changed in any way that could result in your smelling different now when you come home (e.g. new materials that could leave a scent residue that he finds distasteful, or even new personal care products that are different, etc)? New car that imparts that new car smell to you that you bring in with you?

Dogs are so sensitive to little things that we don't even notice. It may not be the cause, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a slightly new routine or a new smell or some other environmental change that he's associating with your coming home (it could be something that only happened once, like a loud noise outside, that concerned him and now he's associating with you.

Actually my husband did just recently retire. Ted would be in the house for half the day while we were working. Now, my husband is in the house all day or takes Ted with him every place. He very well could be adjusting to the household changes and will have to again this summer when I retire. We take him with us every weekend if we go somewhere. Actually, they did put new carpet at my workplace this past week, as well, so I am sure I do smell differently when I come home. Thanks so much for all the wise advice! I greatly appreciate it.

Carpet can have a lot of formaldehyde and it reeks until it dissipates. I'm sure dogs can smell it long after we can. The school Bodhi & I volunteer at put a new area rug in the reading room. It stank so badly of formaldehyde that I couldn't stay in it for 5 minutes, even several weeks after it was put in. They ended up removing it.

So, yeah, either one of these things could be the cause. If it is one of them, Ted may well adjust to it.

You have offered me wonderful advice more than once, Gentle Lake. Since Ted is our first pure bred bc (we have always had bc mixes), it is a new experience for us. The carpet definitely has a strong odor Thank you so very much. I will keep you updated.