BC Boards

Fila in an USBCHA trial

Maja

I found this information here

Today, my dogs live with me in Brazil, on a farm. I have 3 more pure-bred Filas which I am attempting to teach snake detection, but all of them work with stock, in fact one of them got a 3rd place in a USBCHA event against 10 border collies, 2 rotties and 2 GSD's.

Does anybody knows what sort of trial it was?

When I saw that the person lived near Los Angeles, I wondered if it might have been something that one of those "all-breed training centers" (the kind that caters to hobby "herders" with traditional and non-traditional "herding" breeds) put on where their students are the main participants.

This could have been a Novice or even Beginners (rare to find those) class attached to a USBCHA-sanctioned Open trial, and this person (and the mentioned dogs) participating in the novice class (that, since it isn't USBCHA-sanctioned, would only be USBCHA-style).

I can't imagine those breeds running at all successfully in an Open trial but some folks have been known to get sanctioning for trials that are not in the least suited for providing National Finals qualifying points. At one arena trial I was at earlier in the day, a Sheltie won the Open class both days on sheep - very well-trained dog suited to the very small course and provided stock, with a good handler.

Plus, anyone can write anything and it doesn't make it so. But I'd guess my supposition above to be a likely scenario.

I found this information here

Does anybody knows what sort of trial it was?

Uh ... what Sue said. :huh: There is no way a Rottweiler or a German Shepherd could be competitive in an actual, USBCHA-sanctioned field trial. Maybe there was some non-sanctioned, USBCHA-style Novice class, but even then ... German Shepherds? Rotties? Mixed with any outrun over 100 feet?

Whatever that trial claimed to be, that variety of breeds in a single trial would seem guaranteed to be an all-breed venue, not USBCHA. ;)

~ Gloria