BC Boards

video

Shawna

None, Shawna. Shot my wad with the Elvin Kopp video recommendation.

Um Charlie, I am still waiting for a nice long heavily detailed accounting of your time at Meeker. C'mon Dude give it up!

That'll larn him to tease ya Shawna. Oh and Shawna, you know that Dawn Bailey is like a state away from you right? That's neighbors in the west. Just act pleading and dumb and she can't resist. Her kind heart gets her every time.

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie newbie

drumlins@adelphia.net

Sorry Margaret, Charlie wasn't really teasing me. It seems I changed my last post at the same time he entered his and so it looks kind of funny but not what was intended.

What I really want is the Glyn Jones set but I'm having trouble locating it in Canada and the exchange is going to kill me. The other one sounded interesting but if I'm going to lay out that kind of money I want to be sure it's not just fluff.

Guest Charles Torre

Shawna:

I had a look around the Rural Route website. I see what you mean. It is really hard to tell who is running the show there. Did you see that one of their videos was reviewed by The Working Border Collie? If you could track down that issue maybe there would be more info. In any case, it certainly seems like a very respectable operation, no?

Margaret:

Nice try. I am a slow learner. When I got back from Meeker I was so pumped up that I wrote a long list of observations that I meant to post. As I was tidying it up I happened to notice that many of my "observations" were little more than a bunch of pretentious crap. So I deleted it. But here are some randomly chosen recollections.

Suffice it to say, since I only stayed for the first couple of days I missed a lot. But what I saw was really great. Most of the people there were the handlers. Relatively few spectators. If you leaned over to your neighbor to ask a question or an opinion, you were likely talking to one of the Big Hats. I saw lots of great handlers and dogs get into serious trouble. I saw lots -but not all - get out of serious trouble. I saw some of the toughest sheep that you will ever meet and some teams that figured out how to handle them on the fly. I saw packets of 5-6 sheep that could not be controlled with 3 dogs, two horses and several people. I saw brilliant runs end during the last few seconds with a grip at the pen. I saw several dogs that are probably quite good in other circumstances, but which couldn't even lift the sheep. I saw some suspicious re-run activity. I saw a really nice run end at the turn when one sheep decided to hit the road. Literally. The sheep ran off the course, through the parking lot (a nice pasture, itself) and head down the highway. I really started to notice the wide variety of dog and/or handler styles that are out there. I encountered some handlers who really liked to hear themselves talk and pronounce their knowledge of dogs and sheep, and who had nothing to brag about. (Hey! Sort of like me.) And I encountered other handlers who were eating up the course, who were kind of quiet, but very friendly and willing to offer a humbly stated answer to any question. I heard spectators mutter "Stupid sheep" when the dog failed to get them through a gate. In one such context, one of the people leaned over to one of the big hats and said "Don't you want to just bash those sheep over the head when they do that?" That handler replied, "No, it makes me want to get a better dog."

Well, that's enough, ain't it?

charlie

salright Shawna, men are like my terriers: you can assume they needed that correction whether the immediate circumstances called for it or not. wink.gif

Charlie,

That gives me the shivers. Hey, clear honest heartfelt writing (the sort your post epitomizes)is never, never pretentious or boring. Nicely told!

May I have more please sir? Tell us specifics about them badass sheep and some dog and handler heroics. Tell us some of the answers to those questions. C'mon buddy.....

smile.gif <------me smiling winningly (if a bit ingratiatingly)

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie newbie

drumlins@adelphia.net

You might try ebay for the tapes. I got the complete set for Christmas last year that way. I think the seller was wig14. You can do an ebay search and see if they are still selling them. SOMETIMES ebay is cheaper...repeat...SOMETIMES.

------------------

Terry Toney

I would go with Derek's video as well - i bought it last week and thought it was amazing (he made even the trickiest stuff look soo easy!) - only problem i had was that after i'd seen the 5 month old puppies on sheep for the first time i thought i would most probably need a new dog smile.gif

Well worth the money!

- he's bringing out a book next month too & his website is up & runing and worth a read!Britta