BC Boards

The Exhaust

Dear Amanda:

I have a trialing question.

Often times at a trial the handler who has just completed their run will be in charge of exhausting the next person's sheep.

When is the best time to do that?

Some say it is best to wait until the course has been completed or time has been called.

Others advocate doing it pretty much whenever, e.g., during the shed.

Where do you stand on this?

chariie

To CGT from Utah

I depends on how the handler's run is going. If it is a real heavy hitting kind of run, that will spoil the results for the exhauster, send your dog before the time is up, and interrupt the handler's train of thought. The cunning exhauster, who looks ridiculous, says "Oh my God! I am so sorry!" when they are anything but. Everyone has a good laugh at his or her expense. The exhauster will chuckle coyly and stumble on one apology after another, but the run will have been wrecked. Quite a gambit.

If the run is going badly, sit on your hands until the clock plays out and watch the handler cavort around in the ring, praying for the sacred heart to give him a hand getting his dog through the sheep. Time up!! Then and only then, send the exhaust dog. Bite your lower lip and enjoy.

Amanda

Dear Amanda,

If my run is going poorly, can I have a travelling companion release another one of my dogs, so that my run can end sooner?

I'm not Amanda (duh), but Kristi, if you just accidentally leave your car window down, your uncrated dog can leap out and onto the field when your run goes to hell.

I'm not Amanda (duh), but Kristi, if you just accidentally leave your car window down, your uncrated dog can leap out and onto the field when your run goes to hell.

The rule is never let your OWN dog out ... DQ. Always use a dog of a person you don't like (so you get a re-run and they get a DQ :@)

Talk about exhaust. I'm setting out sheep for a novice class when this one dog races straight down the middle. He had every intent on eating sheep..I quickly set my dog to keep the sheep from running into fence and snapping their necks..Well four sheep split off in eigth different directions at once. My dog and me are trying our darnest to save the sheep. The judge is yelling THANK YOU! GO GET YOUR DOG! The judge runs out on the field. It's total bedlam..the handler finally grabs the dog and looks at the judge and says "Should I exhaust the sheep now." Judge says "Thats ok, you done exhausted them" Then under his breath he says and the set out person, and the set out dog, and me.

Talk about exhaust. I'm setting out sheep for a novice class when this one dog races straight down the middle. He had every intent on eating sheep..I quickly set my dog to keep the sheep from running into fence and snapping their necks..Well four sheep split off in eigth different directions at once. My dog and me are trying our darnest to save the sheep. The judge is yelling THANK YOU! GO GET YOUR DOG! The judge runs out on the field. It's total bedlam..the handler finally grabs the dog and looks at the judge and says "Should I exhaust the sheep now." Judge says "Thats ok, you done exhausted them" Then under his breath he says and the set out person, and the set out dog, and me.

Too funny!

Reminds me of a ProNov run where the dog ran the sheep over every square inch of the field and the handler did not have the presence of mind to call her dog off. Finally, the sheep were trapped in a corner and the judge managed to get the handler's attention to say, "Thank you!" And she turned around and said, "Do you want me to exhaust the sheep?" The judge said, "No, the exhaust person would do that." To which she replied loudly for all to hear, "But my dog can do that!" Yeah, right.

Archived