BC Boards

Neutering the LGD?

dot me not

I've got two Pyr pups, males, 7 months old. They're littermates, unregistered, both have bad overbites and I suspect that one may have bad hips. He's not sore but he does seem a bit "loose" in the rear end, and so I have absolutely no interest in breeding them. What effect, if any, does neutering seem to have on the LGDs? I know that the females are usually spayed to keep them from attracting stray male dogs when in season and that makes perfect sense to me. But one of the advantages of neutering a male is to make him less territorial/agressive. I WANT these guys to be territorial/agressive (with everything but MY dogs).

Any advice here??

Lydia

I have a Great Pyr. He was fixed as a pup. I asked for him to be fixed.

For one, I didn't want him visiting the neighbors bitch when she was in heat and *forgeting* his duties as a LGD. (Or visiting my bitches when they were in heat)

And wandering off to mark his territory as an intact male.

He is a great dog. Grew up with some Katahdins. They all sleep together in a huge pile. Dog and sheep legs all mixed together with the sheep heads on his side.

Keeps the cougars, coyotes, eagles, neighbor's dog as well as geese away from his charge. He added geese to his *keep away* list when a pair of them chased after one of the lambs.

I have no interest in breeding him. His father, grandfather and greatgrandfather are working dogs. Didn't want him as a breedable male, wanted him as a LGD.

Diane

For all the reasons that Diane has laid out, go ahead and neuter them. I have two just a tad older than yours, and the removal of their testicles has done nothing to make them less effective as guard dogs.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

Sassy,

All dogs have some guarding instincts, but whether a dog that has been crossbred with such radically different parents would be a useful livestock guard dog is anyone's guess.

Same deal with size -- it all depends on whose genetics were contributed and whose weren't.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH