Photo

Ben ignores other people

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:I used to like travelling but somehow I keep ending up with a dog...

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

8 months on, Ben the rescue is a delight. I can't believe I once asked how to teach him to sit! He will now run round a field and respond to all commands at a distance - not only close up..And it's instant - no thinking about it. He just wants to please.

The only issue - and I'm not sure it is an issue - is that he just blanks other people. My last border collie wanted to meet and greet everyone. She was like that from a puppy - nothing to do with me.

So this is a complete contrast. When I am around, other people don't exist. They can talk to him and call his name and are lucky if there is any response. It's a bit embarrassing to be honest!

Is this something I should be working on and if so how? I think part of the problem is that where I live, there aren't many other people. 

#2 teresaserrano

teresaserrano

• Registered Users
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, literature, nature

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

That's what most people want, a dog that ignores other people and pays attention to it's person :)

I like that in a dog and train my dogs from early on that "we like people but don't go bother them". As long as the dog isn't suspicious or afraid of people, generally, ignoring strangers isn't a bad thing.

Teresa Serrano

#3 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:I used to like travelling but somehow I keep ending up with a dog...

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

Thanks. I guess I was just so used to a dog that wanted to greet everyone. Of course not everyone wants to be greeted.  :rolleyes:   

#4 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

I would consider that a big plus in a dog, myself.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#5 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Thanks I just wanted some perspective.

#6 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

My Gláma is like that, it is a great feature imo, especially during roundup where some people seem to feel entitled to command other man's dogs. Very satisfying to see her ignore them completely. It would be nice though if she would on occasion let my wife work with her, but she decided she is a one man's dog.

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#7 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Nope, you don't need to do a thing. No dog is required to be sociable and honestly, a lot of border collies I know are pretty one-man-ish. If he's not aggressive or threatening to people, I'd say leave him be. He doesn't need to make friends and you are all he really wants to keep him happy.  :)

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#8 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Yup, agree with all of the above.  You have a gem.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#9 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:24 AM

Good. When I first saw him at the shelter he ran to me when I, a complete stranger, called him. I believe he was like that with everyone.

So I was concerned that he was now less friendly than when I first met him. But it seems that all that has happened is that he has now adopted me. :)

#10 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Buzz loved humans so much that I had to figure out a way to use it as a reward. So if he wanted to go say hi to his latest best friend, he had to do something for me first. It helped a lot.

AND, I always asked people if they would mind saying hi to him. A few people said no, most people said yes.

Those 2 things kept Buzz under control and more like a gentleman.

Ruth & Gibbs

#11 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

Good. When I first saw him at the shelter he ran to me when I, a complete stranger, called him. I believe he was like that with everyone.

So I was concerned that he was now less friendly than when I first met him. But it seems that all that has happened is that he has now adopted me. :)

Well, there it is. You were The One and he knew it.  :wub:

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#12 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:35 AM

Well, there it is. You were The One and he knew it.  :wub:

Or possibly I am the Purveyor of Squeaky Balls and Delicious Food :D

#13 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

No doubt a factor, but don't sell yourself too short, I think your companionship and attention would trump food and toys any time ;) .

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#14 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Great dog  :D  , don't ruin it  :D .  Or if you don't like it, just send him my way  ;)

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#15 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

Great dog  :D  , don't ruin it  :D .  Or if you don't like it, just send him my way  ;)

^^ What she said.  :D

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#16 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Nahh there is nobody else who would put up with me.. :rolleyes:

#17 diane allen

diane allen

• Registered Users
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

Lucky you!

My new rescue pup....the good news is, he loves everybody.  The bad news is, he loves everybody!

I'll trade ya!!

diane

#18 CptJack

CptJack

• Registered Users
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Kiran (BC mutt) is very sweet with everyone but mostly ignores them.

Unless they're under 10 or a small poodle, at which point - forget it, his brain has fallen out from an overload of pure love. 

I very much prefer overly friendly to the alternative, but my gold standard is definitely neutral and polite.  Noooot sure he's going to get to neutral on kids (or poodles) in this lifetime.

#19 MeMeow

MeMeow

• Registered Users
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Nala was like this when we got her. She bonded with me and my husband very quickly, and from then on, no one else in the world mattered much to her (although once she got to know our families she greeted them affectionately as well).

Then she learned the other owners at agility class have treats, and that the man behind the counter at the pet supply shop has treats, and so does the lady at the hardware store....and now she will often approach strangers with a wagging tail and sit at their feet. I'm glad she's comfortable enough to approach them (she used to be quite shy). But now I do have to keep a closer eye on her since not everyone likes dogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.