Koolies/Coolies?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

This breed has just come up on my radar. I have searched a bit on the internet, but would also like to pick the brains of the Board members here.

What do you know about the Koolie? Personality? Herding style? Availability of a good working specimen in the US/Canada?  Anything else?

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#2 Lawgirl

Lawgirl

• Registered Users
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

I believe Coolies are an Australian breed.  I have a friend who owns two of them, but they are pets, not working dogs.  In build, they are a bit between an Australian Cattle Dog and a Kelpie, and about the size of a BC.  Both of the ones I know are extremely affectionate with people, although quite standoffish with other dogs.  They can be quite prone to barking, though less than an Aussie.  Both are intelligent and trainable.  I know one (not my friend's) who is an agility champion and obedience champion.

The ones I know are both merles, both shorthaired.

This is Dougie, one of the Coolie's my friend owns. She rescued him from a truck driver who left him chained in a yard all day, and fed him once a week when he got back from long distance driving.

Attached File  Dougie.jpg   87.51K   29 downloads

#3 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

She rescued him from a truck driver who left him chained in a yard all day, and fed him once a week when he got back from long distance driving.

attachicon.gifDougie.jpg

Off topic - but how in the he!! can anyone think that is how to take care of a dog?

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#4 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

A friend of mine has several.  I guess they are similar in personality to a Border Collie, the same way that Aussie and Kelpies are similar but different. 

I've not seen any that come anywhere close to a Border Collie in working skill in the USA.  The best ones I've seen in North America were on par with AKC show bred dogs in the working department.  The gene pool here is very small though.  Not sure if there are quality working Koolies elsewhere in the world or if they have gone the way of other show/sport dogs.

I might consider one as a pet or sport dog, but if I needed a working dog I would go for a Border Collie or a Kelpie.

#5 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

I saw a tv show about herding dogs OR working sheep in Australia. Can't remember which was the subject of the show. The rancher interviewed talked about the various dogs he used, I think 2 were koolies. And I think too that he used the koolies for very specific tasks.

This was a real working sheep ranch, sheep by the thousands and at least 6 dogs, with a couple more in training. If the name of the show floats up from my memory banks I'll post and let you know.

Ruth and Gibbs

#6 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

I've met a few, belonging to 2 different people. The ones I've met tend to be rather quarrelsome with other dogs, more like a lot of cattle dogs than border collies in temperament. Some of the merles especially are beautiful and I was seriously thinking about getting one, but after meeting the ones I've met I decided I didn't like their feistiness with other dogs I decided against it. They may be fine for a lot of people; I prefer a little more harmonious relationships among my dogs. ;)

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#7 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

I believe Coolies are an Australian breed.  I have a friend who owns two of them, but they are pets, not working dogs.  In build, they are a bit between an Australian Cattle Dog and a Kelpie, and about the size of a BC.  Both of the ones I know are extremely affectionate with people, although quite standoffish with other dogs.  They can be quite prone to barking, though less than an Aussie.  Both are intelligent and trainable.  I know one (not my friend's) who is an agility champion and obedience champion.

The ones I know are both merles, both shorthaired.

This is Dougie, one of the Coolie's my friend owns. She rescued him from a truck driver who left him chained in a yard all day, and fed him once a week when he got back from long distance driving.

attachicon.gifDougie.jpg

That dog looks like a border collie to me.

Looks a lot like my ex-foster dog, Kelso, in fact, who is a purebred border collie as far as I know.

I don't know how you'd tell the difference.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#8 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

I don't know how you'd tell the difference.

I don't think Koolies come in a rough coated variety, so if it's not a smooth coat that would be a giveaway.

But the one pictured? Yeah, it could be hard to tell.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#9 Lawgirl

Lawgirl

• Registered Users
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:40 AM

The photo is a little misleading because of how he is sitting.  In person I can clearly see the difference.  His head is a different shape and his build is more like an ACD.  His tail is also different.

This is a photo of all of my friend's dogs, blue merle Koolie Doug, black kelpie Ace and red merle Koolie Reba.

Attached File  Reba, Doug and Ace.jpg   92.5K   22 downloads

#10 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

I've seen a few. Some at disc dog competitions and more recently one at a SAR seminar. I liked what I saw - pretty stable and sane and rather good looking. I even talked to the breeder of the SAR dog in Canada about them. They're pretty tough cattle dogs and useful farm dogs.This breeder used them in both cattle and sheep and their breeding stock came from pretty large working farms/ranches in Australia. Supposedly they have pretty good longevity, often living well into their teens and working into the double digits. Colors are all over the spectrum and while smooth is more prevalent, they also come in rough. Because they're bred for the work. I know that for a long time Merle/Merle breeding was (maybe still is?) commonplace with some Aussie breeders. But I think the breed has less issues with it than we commonly see. Or maybe they're just culled.

Personality wise they sound to me like a cross between BC and ACD. I liked what I heard talking to the breeder - talking to them reminded me of talking to a BC person who was interested in breeding solid working dogs. I'm considering one someday...

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.