BC Boards

Mudi (Hungarian herding dogs)

Hey gang

I know someone who is getting a Mudi pup, and intends to use the dog for herding her sheep and goats (she has none of the above so far, but is currently setting up he pastures and sheds, etc). Anyone know anything about the Mudi? Herding style, temperament, etc? I've never seen one in person, and know nothing about their stockworking abilities or style, so I'm having trouble advising her.

Thx in advance for any insights anyone has... I know they're not BCs, but I figure it there's any group that's likely to know something about an "off brand" herding breed :rolleyes: it would be this group here....

(Eileen, if this should go in "Coffee Break, pls feel free to move it...)

Thanks!

They are related to Spanish Water Dogs and similar continental shaggy herding dogs, and thus are distant ancestors to our own Border Collies. I've seen Water Dogs work and they do have some potential for usefulness. Nothing particular has been bred into these dogs, in other words their ability is unrefined, but on the other hand, they are "unimproved" by extensive conformation breeding, and thus they tend to have some general ability and work ethic still. I'd imagine if she got the Mudi from a working breeder that she will be okay, but if it's coming from a show breeder the potential of the pup might be problematic.

A friend of ours has two of them, both imported from a working breeder in Hungary--one passed a "herding instinct test" at a Mudi specialty event and the other will be tested soon. They strike me as kind of an all-purpose farm dog type dog (I haven't seen them work--it's just my impression of them from seeing them play--I imagine they work like other loose-eyed dogs). They are pretty intensely "one-person" dogs and need a lot of socialization to lots of other people.

I think our friends' are pretty nice, high-energy, fun dogs and very striking to look at.

Thanks, guys! I knew someone here would know something. :rolleyes: I don't know where the dog is coming from - Outside somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where - and she said she was going to ask the breeder about the working style.... but I was wondering who I might refer her to for training. Now I've got an idea, I think.

hallo,

the mudi is one of the national dogs here in hungary. they are very sweet dogs.there working style is very different from sheepdogs(border collies). all three herding dogs here- mudis, pulis and pumis, bark ALOT. they bark when they work- that's how they move them. the ybasically wear behind the sheep,barking. shepherds use them to drive large flocks and they basically go from side to side,barking. they also bark in the house. um, did i say they bark? :)i know a couple of people here who have trained their dogs to work sheepdog style, but it is really through obediance.they've taught them outrun,lift,etc.but i've never seen one shed for example.the shepherding style is very different here- shepherds stay with flocks all day and basically the dogs will keep them in line.rebecca is right - they are not really refined. but they are useful farm dogs.

what colour is your friend getting?hope she enjoys them!

krisztina

I saw a Mudi at the Lynn Leach clinic last weekend. I left before it was his turn to work, but man-oh-man was he cute! He was a merle (if that's what you call it in that breed) ... looked like a self blue merle (no white) ... split face, where one whole side of his face was black and the other side was merle. Had little black legs with merled tips on his toes. And he was all personality!

J

I have never heard of them before. Of course around here everyone just has labs for the most part. I'll have to search around online and see if I can see one. It's always cool to hear of a different herding breed.

• 1 year later...

Only ever met one - belonged to a Czech girl who did competitive obedience with her. Very bright and keen but yes, barky. From memory probably 16-17 ins.

I'd love one for agility but since I don't buy from breeders and would have to import anyway, it isn't going to happen.

A friend has a German Spitz x BC that is similar in the ways that attracted me to the Mudi.

Pam