BC Boards

What is the Best size crate for adult BC

Jin is large for a BC. His crate is a 36" one and is fine.

I use a furrari 350 for my adult dogs, both fit comfortably, it's 32 L X 22.3 W X 23 H. My mix is a larger dog, about 60 pounds, so that size should be good for almost all BCs. I do use a much smaller on for my pup though.

I have two crates, a large in the bedroom where Vala sleeps and a medium in the den which I use for training. She is only 29.8 pounds and small for an adult BC, so she is actually comfy to stay in the medium although it looks kinda, well, cozy in there to me. Way back when we first intro'd her to the house, she would bark when cats came into the bedroom after she was already kenneled up (guarding), or when she wanted us to wake up and let her out in the middle of the night (and at 3-5 years old, having gone before bed, she really didn't need to be let out). Well, although she didn't stop when we ignored her, or listen when we told her to hush, she quickly learned to stop barking on these occasions when we started moving her, when she did it, from the large comfy bedroom-located crate to the medium crate in the den. So I like having two crates for training purposes, and having one that's obviously preferable to the other (larger, in a better location, with a fluffy pillow and a kong, lol) helps the training along I do believe. So one option might be buying a smaller one for now and buying another if you need to later. I mean the divider is a great idea but personally I like having two because I hate moving the large kennel around. Oh and the medium one is easy to travel with too. When I take Vala to the in-laws or to outdoor animal rescue fundraiser type things, I just bring the medium kennel. I don't have to take it apart to put it in the car. But it depends on how large your dog will get. Vala is a petite BC.

I'm thinking Large 36L x 24W x 26H inches

or should it be

Ex Large 40L x 27W x 30H inches

I bought the large before Quinn came home, then returned it and against the store clerk's strong recommendations got the Extra Large instead. He shook his head at me as he rang it up but I just had a feeling. Maybe because my puppies spend a good deal of time crated. Anyway, it came with a divider that within a few weeks I took out. Even as a scrawny puppy, Quinn liked to stretch out when he slept. Today the crate is only used when Quinn needs to shed dirt. He is about 21 inches and a little over 40 lbs. He still likes to stretch out when he is in there. I've never regretting going with the larger model other than it takes up so much room.

techinally there should only be enugh room for your dog to stand up, turn around and lay down, but it depends on what you prefere. I have found that many people prefere to go really big, so there dogs have room to move and stretch out. I cant even imagine a large being to small for a BC lol, I could comfortably fit both my BCs(18" and 21") in my large. but I have open in my kitchen a 200, a 300 a 400 and 2 smaller crates, and all my dogs given the option, always choose the smallest crate they can fit inside.

I have lots of crates...1 350, 2 450, 2 450 size metal crates, 2 metal crates that are 2 sizes larger than that, 2 x-pens, 1 350 size metal crate, 1 small crate that would fit a pup up to about 3 months, and 1 even smaller one that would fit an 8wk puppy (thats the cat's one).

I have a small-mid sized border collie (35 lbs), and a 50lb 23inch tall aussie.

For sleeping, they both go in the large (36inch one) if they are being crated. In the car, they actually can both fit in the 350 even though the aussie can't really sit or stand in it.

I also have 2 x-pens if they are muddy and need more space. My BC grew up being in an x-pen during the day, and a crate at night.

The aussie goes in a metal crate during the day which is 2 sizes bigger than the crate he sleeps in. It has enough room for him to totally stretch out and have a water dish etc in it.

My dogs mainly use intermediate (300 size) crates. I have a couple of large crates and if the dogs are going to be crated for any length of time, I will put the larger (45#) dogs in the large crates. I have one XL crate, and I use it for a dog I have here for training who ends up spending more time in a crate than the other dogs. He has plenty of room in there. Most of my dogs weigh around 33-38 pounds and they fit in an intermediate (27") crate just fine. So it's really up to what you prefer. For example, I can fit 6 intermediate and 1 large crate easily in my van without having to move anything to get a dog out. So the largest dog rides in the large crate and everyone else rides in an intermediate. At home where there's more space, I added in a couple more large crates and the XL. My smallest dog (28-30 lbs) could run laps in the XL. I think most people buy crates a little larger than necessary, but as long as the dog (pup) doesn't think a too large crate gives it license to use on part as a toilet, ultimately it doesn't matter a great deal. Like someone else noted, many dogs prefer a smaller, cozier den. I have several dogs who like to sleep under beds and couches. They have to crawl in on their bellies and can't stand up to turn around once underneath--but that's where they *choose* to sleep.

J.

Senneca (21") and Rhys (22+) both do fine in their 36L crates -- they'll even share one (for short periods). Dogs need enough space to be able to stand up and turn around, but actually like their den to be small and cozy.

I only use a crate in the house for my dogs to sleep in overnight. For several years 2 collie sized dogs have happily shared a 36in crate.

Recently I changed it for a 42in one as one dog is nearly 11 and seems to like to stretch out a bit more.

In the car my leggy BC is fine in a 32in crate, but a standard size one wouldn't have been tall enough so I paid extra for a less popular size that is higher to allow him to stand up freely.

Jedi grew into a rather tall, long, and lean bc. I had purchased the 36 in. when I got him at 6 mo. He does not spend alot of time in it so I haven't bought a bigger one for him, but if I had to do it again I definitely would get the next bigger size. So I would recommend the 40 ". It's nice for them to have the option of stretching out in it if they choose.

I had a 36" crate for Annie, which was fine length-wise. But Annie is a tall dog, and did not have enough width for her legs; she wound up catching one of her paws in the wire, and injured herself. I went to a 42" crate; too long, perhaps, but at 26" width it is wide enough that she can lie in it comfortably without catching her paws in the grate. (I also used a Quiet Time bolster bed in the crate.) With that said, I think most nomral BC's will fit into a 36" crate, and Annie may just be an unusual case.