BC Boards

Borderdoodles

I came across this ad today.

Adorable Borderdoodle puppies. 2 males left. 12 weeks old. Black with white on legs. Silver faces. lst shots and vet checked. Cute and curly! Great disposition. $450 each

What is with people and their "designer dogs"? :rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borderdoodle? That sounds sort of silly, actually...I"m assuming that a BC with Poodle? Both are very intelligent breeds (hey, it's not the poodle's fault that they get funny haircuts). I wonder what kind of fun the Borderdoodle could have?

Also wanted to add: selective breeding is a fine thing to get rid of undesirable traits; it would strengthen the breed as a whole, I would think think. But cross breeding to get the so-called "cute" traits smacks of genetic engineering. To me (and this is JMHO), it would be like a human altering genes to ensure that they got a blond blue-eyed child.

LOL--My first thought that this was a cookie--you know, using the snicker doodle cookie recipe using a BC cookie cutter.

LOL--My first thought was that this was a cookie--you know, using the snicker doodle cookie recipe using a BC cookie cutter.

Ha! A cookie mix - the only "good" kind of borderdoodle I would think! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against mixbreeds, I have 3 of my own, but they're adopted, not purposely bred as designer doggies.

But this whole designer dog craze makes me livid.

Doesn't it seem like the craze is getting worse? More dogs I see and hear of people getting are purposely bred mixbreds than purebreds or adopted mutts, and people are paying ridiculous prices for them. I wish people who want a mutt would just go to a shelter and adopt one. And they can't even use the excuse of wanting a puppy instead of an adult, I'm proof of that. I adopted 2 puppies last year from a shelter, and 2 purebred (unregistered) BC pups this year that were born at a rescue (their mom was surrendered a few days before giving birth).

Supposedly they are hypoallergenic, which is mostly a whole lot of BS. You have to carefully breed them for many generations just to get a dog that doesn't make people react strongly to it, but you can never really get one that is hypoallergenic. Really though, Poodles are very nice, loyal, affectionate, intelligent dogs. If it were not for the maintenance that their hair requires they would a much better choice for families than Labs or Goldens.

Ok I googled the borderdoodle (just for Sh & gig) and that has got to be one of the ugliest crossings I've ever seen. The poor things aren't even as cute as most accidental muts. This whole stupid designer dog thing is just horrible. For shame :rolleyes:

I was at Petsmart this weekend and they actually have a book on labradoodles, goldendoodles, and the idiots complete guide to labradoodles or maybe it was the the complete idiot's guide to designer dogs.

I looked this up on amazon and came across this review.

Designer dogs are mutts sold for expensive prices. They are not a breed, because breeds must conform to certain specifications- size, shape, temperament, and so forth. When you purchase a designer dog, you are effectivly buying a lottery ticket to what may either be the puppy you have been promised, or a genetic nightmare. When dogs of two completely different breeds are bred, you can have NO idea on what the puppies will look like. You can't guarentee what the coat will look like, how large or small they will be, what their attitude will be like, or whether or not they will have a plethora of genetic problems.

Because of this, thousand of designer dogs are abandoned to shelters when their owners realize that the dog was not what the breeder had promised them.

RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS DO NOT BREED DESIGNER DOGS!

If you want a dog of a specific cross, look at your local humane society! There are mutts abounds there, and they have been tested for health and temperament problems. Go to [...], and you can even search by type of breed for dogs and cats near your home.

Contribute by saving an animal for [...]$ instead of helping overpopulation by spending 500$ on a puppy whose future you can't be able to predict.

Guest WoobiesMom

God! [bashes head against wall] This infuriates me! I got a purebreed because my son was allergic to everything under the sun and I needed a good watchdog because I was alone with my kids during the week. Now that the kid is okay with both cats and dogs, it's mutts and kitties (FROM SHELTERS) for me. As much as I loved my Airedale, even with his issues (health and temperment), I can't bear to think about the animals waiting for homes at shelters everyday. I don't "work" my dog and no longer need a fairly hypoallergenic animal, so why wouldn't I save a life already here? Why don't these people just buy a flippin' handbag, for goodness sake???

I have a wonderful little dog that doesn't make me react - she sleeps on my pillow and I have no problem (I wub my collies but their hair does make me gag). She's a purebred Chinese crested and she was a rescue. She's got a wonderful temperament, is as active as the Border collies, but likes to snuggle, and I swear she's smarter than the Border Collies in a lot of ways.

If I can get such a nice dog as a pet through rescue (and I wasn't even looking for her - she just happened to me), there's not a single reason to be breeding designer dogs. When the shelters are empty and there's no more dogs like Zhi, then talk to me about designer doggies. Maybe.

I love Timberdoodles,,,,,they don't shed but they sure do walk funny.

Ummmm...Timberdoodles? Is that another kind of cookie recipe? :rolleyes: Maybe we can come up with a book of recipes and call it "Oodles of Doodles" - the best Doodle your money can buy!

The designer hybrid works in livestock and horses - which is why people think (when they do try to anyway) that it will work in creating new breeds of dogs. They forget that the livestock version is castrated usually LOL...because it doesn't breed a next generation that's true. And most livestock hybrids are created for food, not to live with you for the next 15 years. Horse hybrids that turn into the next show jumper can be riding horses, and yes, food too.

A friend of mine says some breeders "would cross a tomcat to a telephone pole" to have something to sell. He figures anyone who will buy the resulting polecat gets what they deserve.

Ummmm...Timberdoodles? Is that another kind of cookie recipe? :rolleyes: Maybe we can come up with a book of recipes and call it "Oodles of Doodles" - the best Doodle your money can buy!

Sounds yummy to me.

But AKC would probably just rip off the recipes and put their own fancy cover on the book.

With horses and other livestock it really doesn't bother me as much. I mean there are horses that need homes out there- but overall they're not wantonly bred like dogs and cats. The thing that realy bothers me is that these animals are clearly just an accessory for some idiot, or something an idiot buys because they don't know any better. Either way, it makes me want to punch an idiot. Ingrid and her siblings probably wouldn't have wound up in a shelter if the people that bred them had just listed them in the paper as Borderland Newfoundcollies and charged $500.

I mean there are horses that need homes out there- but overall they're not wantonly bred like dogs and cats.

Horses also only have one foal at a time, not big litters. There's a great dane "breeder" in my town that recently had a litter of 16 puppies. Yes, that's right, 16 puppies all from one litter. I emailed them, pretending to be interested and found out that they were charging $1000-$1200 per puppy "depending on their colour". They had bred a black to a black, but obviously from different colour lines (eg. a black from harlequin breeding to a black from fawn/brindle lines) or something like that, because if I remember right they said they had puppies that were black, blue, mantle and brindle and those colours should NOT all come up in the same litter. When I asked if they were registered, they said yes, with the Continental Kennel Club. I'd never heard of it, so I asked about it (plus googled it). Their answer was that it's more well known in the US. What I found out myself though is that the "breeder" pays their $20 or $25 fee and says I want to register puppies. They are not required to submit ANYTHING about the parents - breed, registration, anything. They pay their money and get their papers. Then they are "CKC" registered. :rolleyes: I saw the people walking through town with 4 adult danes one evening and the dogs look terrible. The female is really skinny (and yes, she had been nursing 16 puppies, but they should be weaned by now - looks like they didn't feed her well during that time). Their other dogs don't have very good conformation either.

I'm not aware of any designer horse "breeds." What are those? However, horse overpopulation is a huge problem, due to irresponsible over-breeding. :rolleyes:

Morabs, Quarabs, Arabloosa, Pintaloosa, Anglo-whatever, any kind of draft/TB eg. shire warmblood etc. Take your pick. Some may have been established for a long time and now considered a breed, but others are just crosses that people pick a name for.

CKC (Continental Kennel Club) is just a puppy mill/back-yard breeder "registry". I've seen "papers" from there and all they listed for the parents of the so-called "registered" dog were "parent registry" or some such garbage, no numbers or other info and no ancestry info.

There was a posted ad at my vets' for a litter of BC pups that were "CKC registered" (and I don't mean Canadian Kennel Club) and, when I told them it was just another puppy mill/byb "registry", they took the ad down, bless their hearts.

When AKC tightened up on the puppy mills (and they have, to some limited extent), bogus registries like CKC just popped up to fill the void. Kind of like those ads you see for "registering" your whatever horse - "makes your horse more valuable" to have "papers".

And don't get me started on horses - there are some crosses that produce nice animals but I always think you are less sure of what you will get until it's old enough to train, if it's a cross-bred. Where I used to ride (and muck), every single mare that was retired due to unsoundness was retired to become a broodmare. How stupid and greedy can you get?

Gosh, it just makes me ill...