BC Boards

quick question - how long did your dog rest after spay/neuter surgery?

I know spay is more complicated and the dogs need to rest longer but do they really need to rest for 6 weeks? A vet told her that after her dog got spayed. When Cooper got neutered, he was ready to go in two days. I waited 5-6 days before I let him run. When Jazzy got spayed, I think she was ready in 2-3 days but I let her rest for 1 week till the stitches were removed. I am not talking about just regular walks but some running and fetching balls etc.

My vet says 10 days to 2 weeks. I held Missy back from playing Border Collie style for about 10 days. I kept her leashed for about two days and then limited her activity for the remainder of that time. She was ready to go about a day and a half afterward.

I kept Kipp quiet for about a day and a half after his neuter and then limited activity for about week altogether. He was ready to go about 4 hours after he got home.

I think anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks is the norm depending on the dog and how the surgery went. Did anyone ask the vet why they said 6 weeks? I've never heard waiting that long to return to normal activity after a spay before.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
6 weeks? O.o That seems a bit much, unless there was some weird problem with the surgery. I'd imagine a BC would go insane with 6 weeks of "rest".

Vet told me to keep the cone on her for ten days. She destroyed it in two :rolleyes:

Those cones are just big chew toys, I swear most dogs we had at the hospital went through 2 a day. Guess theres not a whole lot to do now that they took variton off the market. That stuff tasted soooo nasty! The vets MAY have hazed the workers by giving us cream cheese on crackers and having one be variton... YUCK!

My older girl had NO restrictions after spay but she was 5 and a mellow BC. It took her a couple

of days to feel like she wanted to do more than check out the yard.

My young bitch was 6 mos, again no restrictions other than "keep her out of the water".

She was back to feeling like herself within 36hrs. She just 'snarked' at her 2 brothers when

they wanted her to play...and they wisely payed heed.

No cones for either. Never had a problem, no licking at all.

Depends A LOT on your dog... listen to the dog.

They told us no exercise for one week for our male Popcorn, and 2 weeks for our female pepper, when we had both of ours fixed.

We weren't given any coness, and thank goodness we didn't need them.