Photo

If you were to own another dog breed/mix?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I belong to a FB group in which people post photos of their dogs - and there are so many different breeds.  And I will see a dog and say to myself "Ooh, that is a neat dog". I don't see myself purposely getting anything other than a BC in the future (although one never knows when something may 'happen' ), but if I did get another dog breed or mix, my choices would start with (in no particular order):

Papillon, Dutch Shepherd/Malinois, wiry-haired terrier mix, maybe a small Poodle (or mix thereof).

Anyone else want to chime in?

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#2 gonetotervs

gonetotervs

• Registered Users
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:agility, dog behavior, books, foreign policy

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Ive got working line Tervs, and they pretty much match or exceed my BCs in most areas. My farm bred BC has much more herding instinct, but less biddability on sheep than my Terv youngster.
Love the Belgian temperament, though BYB particularly of Malinois would make me do serious research of breeders.
If I needed to go to something smaller than a BC, Id look at Mudis or Croatian sheepdogs.

#3 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

I have a friend with a Mudi. We take agility classes together. She flew to Europe to pick up her puppy.

The Mudi is sort of a perfect size, and as cute as that dog is, I am not sure that I could live with the frantic energy and the barking of the breed. It is the only Mudi that I have personal knowledge of so I don't know how representative of the breed it is. The owner is a responsible owner/handler IMHO so I don't think the dog's behavior is due to clueless owner behavior.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#4 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

OH, and another acquaintance has a Croation sheepdog X BC mix that she obtained from a world-class agility handler in Europe. I think it came from an oops litter. I have not really seen the dog in person, but have seen plenty of videos. I believe it is beginning to come into its own on the agility circuit. It is definitely FAST.

Jovi

#5 terrecar

terrecar

Sheepdogger Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

For me it would have to be a member of the sighthound family. I rent an eight acre fenced field by the hour sometimes to walk my dogs. The field belongs to a Borzoi breeder acquaintance. I love her dogs. Ive enjoyed the company of Whippets, a Saluki and my daughters Greyhounds as well.

#6 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,628 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

Hm, I think think I would not mind having a corgi. We had a BC/corgi cross whom we rescued that was an absolute character, and I love the corgis I've met. Even if they do shed like Malamutes. :P

I might also consider a tiny dog like a Papillon - I know a good groomer who also owns one - or maybe a mature Chihuahua if it had a non-nervous temperament.

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#7 CptJack

CptJack

• Registered Users
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

Pap.  Border X Pap (I know, I know, but fantasy land), Poodle.  Beagle.  Sheltie.  I am loving the BC/ACD thing, a lot and would go back there in a heartbeat.  Maybe even over a BC.

My next dog actually WILL be another small dog - something under 15", anyway.  Specifics tbd, but 'mutt' is highly likely.  

#8 teresaserrano

teresaserrano

• Registered Users
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, literature, nature

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I love german shorthaired pointers, don't really know why but love them. I've liked all I've known, and they strike me as energetic, owner focused and happy to work. Not sure how smart they are though.

Teresa Serrano

#9 Lawgirl

Lawgirl

• Registered Users
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I would love a corgi or a papillon, or a lagotto romagnolo (have met one doing agility and he is a sweetheart).  For a bigger dog, I would look at a viszla.  My OH would like a jack russell terrier.  I do not think I could ever not have a BC though.

#10 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

I will always have a Border Collie. I have strongly considered Mals or Dutchies but they are a bit much dog for my current situation. I might go for the right Lab (I know, I know) if I wanted a dedicated detection dog. A Border Collie/Cattle Dog would be a distinct possibility.

Im also kind of intrigued by Coolies right now. But Id need to hang out with some a bit more.

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

#11 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Oh, I forgot about the Coolies/Koolies. They seem like interesting dogs, but I understand the genetic footprint for Koolies is very small in this country (i.e. the 'good' ones are still in Aus/NZ.).

And forgot about Viszlas. They were on my list a while ago, but DH thought that they would be 'cold' because they were short-haired. Stupid reason. I think he just didn't want one and was grasping at straws.

Jovi

#12 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

I've met a few (very few) Koolies. They seem to me to be more similar in temperament to cattle dogs than to border collies. The ones I met were too fractious for my taste.

Interesting that this question has come up. I've been casually looking for another dog for a while to continue Bodhi's therapy work when he needs to retire. As he's hit the probable minimum 12 year mark it's looking like that time, at least for semi-retirement, may be coming sooner rather than later.

I keep considering other breeds. Having a smaller dog might be nice, especially when I'm lifting him into a hospice patient's bed with my always-sore back. But everything I consider always comes up short compared to border collies. It's been at least 35 years I've been saying that after a border collie, anything else is just a dog. I'm kinda stuck in that place, and I don't want just a dog.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#13 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:39 AM

Well we have a typical Icelandic farmdog that is a mix that probably contains a good amount of bc genes, he was a kinda rescue. A fun dog, very athletic (as in cat like) too.
If I didn't have sheep and weren't into stockwork that would be the kind of dog I'd choose. Then again my wife really likes labrador mixes ( we had a really great one) so something like that would not be unlikely.
Actually any mutt of average size, normal build, and friendly character would do...:)
I would certainly not pay for some "pure bred" look.

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#14 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

GVC-border, your opening post amused me because I have exactly that: a wiry terrier mix (although his fur is soft despite looking wiry), and I have Boo who is no doubt some sort of poodlely mix.

I wouldn't have ever chosen those two small dogs in a shelter, but that would have been my mistake. They are wonderful dogs, and Digger has caused me to grow a strong appreciation of small terrier mixes, so I might have one again.

I will always be seriously dedicated to the border collie, and will always have one or preferably two of them. It is hard for me to imagine my deliberately choosing a different breed.

but....

If I were to go out and deliberately choose another breed to have in addition, it would probably be a Malinois.  I have thought about a Jack Russel but would be more likely to go for a mix, like Digger. Papillion is another I might choose. But I think that if I were to choose a small dog in the future it would be more likely to be a mix found in a shelter or rescue.

You never know, though.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#15 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 3,166 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

We had an x-racing greyhound for about 10years. After that we decided that with working BC retirees we always have house pets so there is no need for other pets/breeds.
Support the ABCA Health & Education Foundation by using Amazon Smile

#16 cwb3

cwb3

• Registered Users
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

I grew up with Labs.  Would love to get another one.  My wife could use a calmer, mellower one than the two dogs we have right now.  Border Collie and some kind of hound/pinsher/terrier mix.  I know a really good breeder near Harpers Ferry WVA who breeds outstanding Labs.  Most become service dogs of some type.  Occassionally she will breed a cross for field and sports. . .that would be cool too.

#17 cwb3

cwb3

• Registered Users
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I would also like another sled dog, like an alaskan husky.  They tend to run smaller and leaner than the siberian huskies, more like the Ididerod dogs.

#18 Shetlander

Shetlander

Life is a beach.

• Registered Users
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

I love Shelties and they are an easy fit for me, so I could see getting another one some day. And Lhasas are my Kryptonite, so that breed is always a possibility. But right now, I can't imagine being without at least one Border Collie.

Liz

#19 mbc1963

mbc1963

"Border Collie/Terrier Mix" Don't judge me.

• Registered Users
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

I got my BC Buddy sort of by accident... NOT looking for a BC. Loved him, love the breed.

This latest dog of mine was supposedly a BC mix. I picker her up from transport/rescue despite the fact that she so clearly is NOT a BC. So, by accident I have a terrier mix. She is incredibly athletic and beautiful when she runs in the woods. A real delight. I wouldn't trade her. ;)

Attached Files

Charlie Brown, Baby Daddy to the Merrimack Valley, 1970 - 1977
Dusty, Sweet, Soft, Fat, Brindled Girl, 1977-1989
Shamokin, Biggy Baby, 1988 - 2002
Buddy, My Best Boy, 2003 - 2015

#20 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

I will have to add a mini-Aussie (or mix thereof) to my list. I have never been a fan of the mini-whatevers, but right now I am fostering a little 6 month old pup found as a stray. Several people who know mini-Aussies say that he is one. He is adorable, yet spunky, and just the right size - ~15 lbs at 6 months old.

Jovi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.