BC Boards

My Sweet Sam girl

kaos

I am so sorry for your loss... may you find peace in your memories of her.

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder. These are good places in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost, if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death and down the well remembered path and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, or resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is the heart of his master.

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

~ Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Sam.

Early this morning, I took some "mental health" time and decided to drive the back roads - just drive, and happened to wind up in a small town in PA where there was this curious little shop. Something about it drew me. The name, the quaint storefront of green doors on a red brick building, not just one thing, so I parked my car and went in. It was like the "Olde Curiosity Shoppe", only new. It was a visual dessert. They had a great selection of cards --- all unique and one caught my eye. It had a close up of a border collie's happy and content face and on it was written, "When a beloved dog must leave us" --- you open the card and it finishes "it is only to sleep at God's feet". I bought that card and hung it in my cubicle when I got to work. How odd that I come to the boards and read your heartbreak of Sam passing.

If there is anything to what's written in that card, Sam is now sleeping at God's feet.

Sleep gently, Sam and sleep well. That'll do, girl.

I didn't see this till after I'd read your post on "Cluster Seizures."

My heart goes out to you. The pain must be unbearable right now. I can only imagine what you're going through. Take time to grieve. Memories of this day will eventually start to fade a little and you'll find yourself able to smile and remember the happy, healthy times.

Prayers being sent your way.

Pam

I'm so sorry to hear this, I normally don't read the Health section so I didn't know. You two have been through a lot.

At the moment, with autumn kicking in, it seems almost reality that this is coming for me too, that they're bound to rip me to shreds one day, but I still can hardly imagine what it's like. Without the boards I might not be able to face these topics at all. (((HUGS))) to you.

• 4 weeks later...