BC Boards

How easy it is to get misled by the use of the right buzz words.

alligande

An agility friend of mine sent me a link the other day to a breeder who had posted on the ISDS Facebook group saying "I wish all border collie breeders were this responsible" due to the description on the listing for the puppies.

This is a man who choses his dogs very carefully, makes thoughtful decisions about the breeders, but easily fell for a posting by a notorious UK breeder. I know if he was in the market for a puppy, he would have found out the reality with a little research, but it made me realize how easy it is for people to fall for the right buzz words, especially when they have no direct connections to the working dog world.

That's how I got my first Border Collie. Gideon's breeder said all the right words, had good info on her website, etc., but once I got plugged in here, I learned what to really look for. Before that, I never would have known. I thought I got Gideon from an excellent breeder. Fortunately, I got a great dog from a bad breeder, and she is out of the breeding game.

It's easy to fall for the right buzz words. Especially when you're still relatively new to the game. Got my male from an OK breeder, not the best, but a hell of a lot better than the second one I fell for. A local farmer, he talked the talk, but in retrospect red flags should have gone up and I should have run away as fast as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love Xena to bits, but she has absolutely zero "herding/ prey drive".

It's easy to be misled.

I was, despite having participated on the BC Boards for some time. Several years ago, when I was in the market for a puppy, I asked someone who taught sheepdog classes, and had as far as I knew a good reputation, for a recommendation and she recommended a breeder to me. I found out that that breeder dual-registered her puppies and I was taken aback, but in a conversation with her she convinced me that it was OK for her dogs to be AKC registered. It was only because the folks on these Boards were willing to take the time to explain to me -- exhaustively, until I truly understood -- that I finally fully grasped why that is absolutely not OK, and I did not get a puppy from that person. I am now also able to explain this to other people, although as with everything else there are none so ignorant as those who will not learn and some people will never get it. I just feel lucky that I got set straight.

I met a puppy today who had come from Italy, but both parents came from the UK and I was asked if I had heard of the lines the mother came from, I smiled said yes and nothing more ... The mother was from the breeder in the OP, what can you say the deed is done, the puppy is home, if asked before hand I would have said something.