BC Boards

A quewtion related to intact dogs.

Are there real health reasons to have a dog neutered? Or are they OK intact?

Just wondering about neutering my puppy. He really is such a good little guy just the way he is. As long as that continues do I really need to get him neutered for health reasons?

I've always had my males neutered in the past just because I thought I was supposed to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are planning on breeding them I think it's kinder to neuter a male dog, of course after he is fully matured.

Can you imagine having an erection for life and never being able to do anything about it? ;)

Since I'm a lady maybe my thinking is a bit off but, I think it could be torturous to keep a male intact without ever having the chance to breed. Specially if there are intact bitches in heat that the dog is going to come into contact with.

I also know of a few males that had prostate issues and had to be neutered later in life. Those boys were never used for breeding either. And one of them is just a jerk. But I think it's owner not intact reasons.

JMHO and for the record I prefer females I only have one male and he was neutered for health and attitude reasons at about 15 months old. But no one ever told him he was neutered so he acts like an intact male. It didn't help much of anything for my dog.

edited to add the winky face to show that was a joke...

I've always had my males neutered in the past just because I thought I was supposed to.

Same here. My last dog (I still have) came to me intact, when he was around a year and a half. I think I had him neutered that same week I got him just because I thought it was the right thing to do. I do remember the vet telling me after the surgery that he was so impressed with Foster's attitude and appearance that maybe I should have thought twice about neutering him. I just took it as a compliment and laughed it off at the time.

So I think I've heard just about all the horror stories over the years for not neutering our boys, now I'm open to hearing some pros against it. But until I hear them, the cons far outweigh the pros.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10498

I post this without a clear side. According to some research it seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pick your poison if you like that one better.

I don't think that a well raised and well trained dog is impacted from being intact. Yes, their attention may stray here or there but then again....that is what training is for. I do think however it may get more stressful for the poor owners!

Being a responsible pet owner, doing the right thing in the context of society to prevent more unwanted and unplanned litters...well, shit happens. So if there is any doubt, I would say neuter for sure. Makes life a lot easier.

I do however admit, my old man is 10 and sterile. Born with a reproductive issue. I choose not to neuter him. He is not able to reproduce and as far as handling him, I think he would be the same jack... in certain instances as he is now and just as good in others.

Unless you are planning on breeding them I think it's kinder to neuter a male dog, of course after he is fully matured.

Can you imagine having an erection for life and never being able to do anything about it?

Since I'm a lady maybe my thinking is a bit off but, I think it could be torturous to keep a male intact without ever having the chance to breed. Specially if there are intact bitches in heat that the dog is going to come into contact with.

I confess to being a little surprised to read this. I've never seen my intact male as having "an erection for life." He's been bred once and he's been around females in heat countless times, especially when trialing, but I don't see any of his behavior as tortured or frustrated.

Of course, I don't shove his nose in the scent or force him to be near a bitch in heat, and I do my best to keep him out of their proximity. But to my observation, after an initial "Well, howdy, darlin'!" reaction, (and my stern "leave it,") he settles down to be pretty nonchalant about the whole thing. I've made a point of redirecting if he does catch a scent and since 99% of the time there are sheep in the offing, getting him to think of something else has never been a real problem.

Probably it depends on the dog and how they are raised, though. Some neutered males still act studly, so I'm not sure neutering always solves that issue.

~ Gloria

I've never seen my intact male as having "an erection for life."

True, but I can't help notice my 11 month's red rocket is making an appearance more than I'd like. But it's only a "problem" if I look so it's not like he's misbehaving.

Gloria I will defer to to your personal knowledge as I said, I only have had 1 male to deal with. I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the permannt erection. My meaning was more about the agravation to both owner and dog who are constantly having to be corrected for unwarrented affections on other peoples female dogs. Which I have definitely been bothered by when unwanted males bother my female dogs with inattentive owners. Not only when they have been in heat but everyday situations. Trials, walking in dog populated areas where there are unleashed dogs are just a few examples.

We refer to it around here as "put your lipstick up!" And yeah its me that's probably more bothered by that site than other dogs!

I post this without a clear side. According to some research it seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pick your poison if you like that one better.

I have come to this same conclusion. There seem to be legitimate health arguments that go both ways. Risks and benefits with both options.

I'm pretty sure both of these links have been posted on these boards before.

ttp://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/spay-neuter-and-joint-disease/?inf_contact_key=0b504c1a0fe6c089b3ecf4530f3389d0a4f7b2bfbaababa80b876d14a40bf5f5

I think the idea of a dog's having "an erection for life" is rather ludicrous. Dogs aren't generally aroused unless there's a bitch in heat.

As for the "red rocket" (never heard that one before), neutering isn't going to prevent that. I've seen lots of neutered males with it all hangin' out.

I've only owned one male during my adulthood but I had numerous as a child. My 4 yr old male (Loki) is intact but overall he seems to get along fine. He has had no issues working when females in season are about. Nor does he have "an erection for life." Funnily enough I have never seen his "red rocket" either although that may be due to his long coat. However, when I was a child we had a BC smoothie mix named Patches. He was constantly "waving his flag" and to my young mind appeared extremely horny. I couldn't pet him or give him his meal without his "rocket" appearing. He couldn't come indoors as he would lift his leg on everything in sight. After Patches I never wanted to have a male again until my current boy came along. Now I can't imagine not having a boy in the house. :)

Bethany

as far as my ludicrous or tongue in cheek comment. I figured it would be taken in a non serious manner simply for the impossibility that it would present. but...

please see my siggy line below.

Guess I need to Sign off for a while or refrain from posting for some time, least I post something that is taken differently than it's true meaning. What ever that maybe.

as far as my ludicrous or tongue in cheek comment. I figured it would be taken in a non serious manner simply for the impossibility that it would present. but...please see my siggy line below.Guess I need to Sign off for a while or refrain from posting for some time, least I post something that is taken differently than it's true meaning. What ever that maybe.

Completely off topic, I usually read the boards on my iPad in regular mode (don't like the mobile version) and I can't actually see your signature line unless I enlarge the screen which I did so I could read it... so I might not be the only one who hasn't read it before!

I read a lot of stuff before I decided to leave my dog intact, every dog before had been spayed/neutered just thought it was what you did, then I got involved with agility and learned about leaving them intact till that had done growing, my vet who is also a breeder suggested it before I mentioned it to her. My original intention was to fix him around 18 months but there has never seemed to be a reason to, he is just a good boy, who doesn't hump, like the ladies, wander or any of the myriad of reasons people give to do it, so he is going to stay intact unless he devolps a medical reason. On a humorous note at his check up this year we were with the associate vet and she jumped when she found them! She just did not expect to find anything soft and squishy behind those feathers.....

Unfortunately, some people are offended by testicles on dogs. I've even known vet techs who were grossed out by them and didn't understand how a person could not want to chop them off ASAP.

I've owned males who were very into the girls and so much more pleasant once they were neutered. I have also owned males who were always perfect gentlemen and were no trouble intact. For health reasons, I never neuter before sexual maturity. After that the decision is based on how well behaved they are and whether or not they are worth breeding.

Gloria I will defer to to your personal knowledge as I said, I only have had 1 male to deal with. I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the permannt erection. My meaning was more about the agravation to both owner and dog who are constantly having to be corrected for unwarrented affections on other peoples female dogs. Which I have definitely been bothered by when unwanted males bother my female dogs with inattentive owners. Not only when they have been in heat but everyday situations. Trials, walking in dog populated areas where there are unleashed dogs are just a few examples.

We refer to it around here as "put your lipstick up!" And yeah its me that's probably more bothered by that site than other dogs!

I understand your point! :)

I think all that depends greatly on the dog and how they are trained and managed. Nick will gladly flirt with a female, but he'll also call off and stick by me if I tell him to and I don't allow him to go around being rude. Nobody wants to have to correct my dog for me! So, I figure that if someone has a male dog who's constantly putting his snout up other girl dog's butts, then that's on the owner for failing to manage their dog. It's a training and handling problem, not the dog's problem.

Laughing here about the "lipstick!" :D Great visual! For whatever reason, though, of the 4 male dogs we've had, 2 intact and 2 neutered, none were prone to flaunting their "lipstick." But I have met males - both neutered and un-neutered - who did run the thing out every time they got excited. I'm not at all sure what's the deal on that. Are some males simply more visibly excitable? Or is it a training issue if a dog isn't taught self control and how to calm down?

That's something I don't know and haven't really thought about, before, because it hasn't been an issue in our household.

~ Gloria

Dear Doggers,

Trialing sheepdogs meet hundreds of gyps in and out of season, off and on lead. It is considered good manners for the gyp's owner to separate his/her gyp but if a male smells and approaches, the owner warns and the responsibility for a swift recall shifts to the dog's owner.

To be sure, sheepdog culture isn't dogpark culture and yes, some castrated dog park males think males smell funny. In a dog park, I think, the responsibility for avoiding conflict devolves on me and I have never had trouble avoiding dog problems though I might not win any popularity contests.

I believe Sentimental Ethics - the desire to seem good whether ones actions have any "good" effect are rampant in the dog world. In most cases castrating males in an instance.

Donald McCaig

Pros and cons healthwise for castration pretty much balance out.

But at least if your dog is done you won't be tempted to breed or pestered by others who want to use your dog.

Personally I would rather have mine done before hormone driven behaviour becomes learned. And I've known too many intact dogs that are either aggressive towards other intact males or the victim of such behaviour to risk my dog's temperament being ruined.

Of course if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't tend to meet hundreds of other dogs in a confined space on a regular basis then it's not likely to be so much of an issue.

I have limited experience but I'll throw in my $0.02. My boy wasn't neutered until he was 7 and that was for extensive prostate issues. I don't regret keeping him intact for that time a bit. He is a pleasure of an boy. I think part of that came from the fact that I knew I didn't want to neuter him from the very beginning so he was never allowed to practice annoying male behaviors from the time he was a puppy. No humping anything (period!), no marking on seemingly man-made objects (car tires, buildings, etc; fence posts were ok, look like trees), no approaching girls if told, no fighting. He went to many, many agility shows in very close quarters and had no problems and never had any dogs have problems with him. He did competitive obedience with an inheat girl next to the ring. Worked sheep with girls around. A lovely, lovely boy who would choose to hang with me rather than wander off any day.

Now that being said, we live in a city and walk through heavy walking traffic regularly but I do not take him to dog parks. I don't take any of my dogs to dog parks. It just seems that every time I'm there a fight breaks out and I have no desire for my dogs to be part of that.

The only time he is a jerk is to young puppies/adolescents who want to lick his face and be stupid. He will give plenty of warning but if not heeded the youngster will find himself with a pierced ear and then he immediately retreats.

I want my next dog to be a male and I have no plans to neuter him either.

My Nick was castrated at 4. He spent the next year acting like an average dog, then all the behaviors came back. He's nearly perfect anyway, so it was nothing of concern, but he has caused some commotion at trials when he goes sniffing around a bitch. He gained something of a reputation as a "heat detector" because bitches coming in to or in standing heat LOVE him. They'd seek him out. Looking back, I would have left him intact, but it's not a huge deal, and I'm much more confident in my ability to handle an intact dog now than I was then.

Hoot came to me castrated. He's such an incredible jerk now, I can't imagine what he'd be like intact. I have a feeling I might have had him done because of behaviour issues, but then again, if he'd been with me from the start, maybe he'd be different dog. Or not. He seems pretty hard-wired to be a total ass.

All mine are neutered. Some people would consider that to be "selfish" but I have found that for us, not having to deal with Megan in heat (she's a perfect trollop even without gonads) and not having to deal with two intact males (both between each other and with regards to Megan or the possibility of any in-heat bitches within scenting range) is a very nice way to live with three dogs.

I had Celt neutered at six months, thinking it was best. Never again will I do that early on. I waited for Bute and then Dan until 18 months, well after they were done growing. Studies indicate (if I remember correctly) more joint and structural issues with early neutering. Did that contribute to Celt's ACL tear? Possibly, possibly not. But I wish I'd let him mature first.

That said, I grew up in a day and age when dogs were not neutered but I never remember a litter of pups in our neighborhood (barring the stray bitch or two that someone dumped).

I do think it's a pick your poison. There are risks both ways. Personally, I wish to leave males intact unless necessary. Most of our males have been intact through their lives (varying breeds including our BCx). We did neuter one sheltie at around 2-3 years old for no real reason... he was fine before and after being neutered. We also neutered our male papillon at around 7 years old. He was a problem dog who just had way too much raging testosterone. Neutering calmed him down a lot to where you could work on the marking and humping behaviors.

Our other males have been intact and have been absolutely fine and well behaved. We have also never had a litter and have no plans to ever have a litter. So it can be done, it just depends on responsibility of the owner. I will say other than the one papillon I have not noticed any issues in our other 6 male dogs who stayed intact or our male that was neutered at 3. I do prefer to spay the bitches though because heat cycles are annoying. But it is mostly convenience.

My sister has a male right now who is intact and the vets pester her to chop them off all the time. The dog is 6 years old and one of the mildest mannered dogs I've ever known. She sees no reason to put him through surgery but they just have to ask every time she brings him in for anything. Luckily he's hairy so she doesn't have to deal with people on the street asking about them.