BC Boards

Did I get lucky or are you people crazy? :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is...did I get incredibly lucky or are those of you who say things like "you must spend hours a day with him, he needs a job or he'll go mad, he will destroy your house if you don't work with him daily, etc." crazy? smile.gif/> (I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

You sure you saw that advice here? On this board?

Can you be lucky and we're crazy, both. I've got one like yours, calm, quiet, great house dog, loves to play outside, run, fetch, etc. And I've got one of the other kind, can't be still, always looking for something to do, destructive, etc. Actually, he is growing up and learning that there is a time for everything, including napping while loose in the house.

The breeder of the first one told me he would be like that and she was right. When I went looking for the second one, I was looking for something a little higher drive, tougher, and I was right.

I wish we could figure out how to reserve the calmer, saner version for people who can't handle the hyped version. There would be many less BCs in rescue.

Yep, you are lucky, but we may still be crazy.

I don't know anyone with a border collie that walks them 4 hours a day! That is crazy. I don't think you got lucky, you got a dog that fits your lifestyle. Maybe that is lucky but most border collies are calm in the house as long as they get exercised outside. Dogs, of any breed vary and each dog is an individual. Sure, there are lots of border collies that would be more demanding but many are just like your describe yours. People constantly comment on how calm my boy is. He gets what he needs (training and exercise) and therefore is calm when nothing is going on. 4 hours, though, every day, definitely not!

On this forum I always advise people that if they spend a ton of time exercising a dog, they will create a dog that needs tons of exercise. I have been on this forum a long time and don't recall much in the way of folks saying you have to exercise them a lot. Most people will suggest mental stimulation, and that is usually in response to someone who has a new dog, especially a youngster, who is demanding attention.

I don't think you're lucky (though you may well be), but rather that you've got a nice dog who is just right for you.

I have a pack of nine and work from home, so my dogs spend a great deal of time lying around the house while I work. I don't *have* hours to exercise them and wouldn't do that even if I did have the time.

ETA: that's not to say that occasionally something like that hasn't been said on this forum, but if it has been said, I doubt many would have agreed with it. I know there was another forum, but I don't go there so couldn't tell you if it still exists or what they say....

J.

Yes, there is another forum, and some of them do say things like that. But Julie is absolutely right about people creating problem with Border Collies by creating extreme athletes as puppies and then they wonder why the dog can't be still. Border Collies are very adept at picking up on expectations, if you expect them to go lie down in the house, they will, if you expect them to need constant attention, they'll do that too.

I imagine a lot of the BC horror stories come from sport bred BCs. If they weren't bred for the right reasons, then they are losing part of what makes BCs so great. The first thing that seems to go is good sense and the second is an off switch. I really don't know how much of that is nature versus nuture, because both of mine were bred by someone with at least the expectation of farm work so I haven't had a sport bred BC. But my daughter takes agility lessons with on of mine and the instructor can't even bring her sport bred dog in the building without it going bananas, and Gideon can stay loose the entire time lying down by my daughters feet. Yet when it's Gideon's turn, he give 110%.

Sounds like you have a great dog, I have had three border collies and they all chilled in the house, and outside were full of the drive and energy. I have also had numerous fosters and I think they have all been persuaded ( with the help of a crate ) that houses are quiet time and play is outside.

I have though met numerous sport/AKC bred dogs at agility trials who's owners have told me they never settle, this always comes up because my boy is very driven and very fast and some assume he must be a nightmare to live with, when in reality he is a couch potato.

There is alot of information on the internet about border collies using the words "hyper" and "crazy".

They want a job to do. Simple or hard they will do it.

People who get a border collie and think they can tire them out will soon find out they are sadly mistaken. That is a recipe for disaster.

I think you are lucky but I think all border collie owners are lucky. :rolleyes:

I don't walk my dogs at all. I just live with them so I do spend a lot of time with them. And they have a big back yard to play in. They do just fine.

All dogs need exercise to work off energy. And just walking them on a leash isn't going to do it. Mine just go outside and run all over the back yard. Then they come inside and they have to behave themselves in the house.

I used to take my dogs up to Smithville Lake every weekend so they could get out and really run. But we just ran into too many dangerous things up there - garbage left by people and fishermen, and dangerous wildlife encounters. We quit going. And I think dog parks are dangerous for dogs so we don't do that, either.

One of my customers right now is a Portugese Water Dog. She is way more energetic than my dogs. That dog really needs about 20 acres to run in. She doesn't have it but her owner really spends a lot of time playing with her. She knows lots of tricks.

I got my first one when I was barely 20. She was perfect. And if she wasn't, my lifestyle and ignorance certainly suited the two of us to where it was no issue. I did so many things with her that the experts would frown upon. we both survived and she set me on the path of loving the working dog for what they are. She make me fall in love with the breed for life.

When I told a friend last year, that I was getting a new pup and who the dam was, she looked at me with this look of "are you insane?" and also said so. So no doubt how she felt about my newest venture. Fee has been nothing but a joy. Yes she can be intense, yes, she has some quirks, but I love every single one of them! And she is easy! So are most of my others.

I live in the country. I work from home. I am sure that makes a big difference.

One of the great contributions of this board, is the advice one can get when things are going wrong. I know people occasionally post when things are going 'right', but one tends to seek help when you get tired of knocking your head against the wall. Since we are blessed with the exceptional BC breed, I know I have higher expectation of good behavior. If I am not getting what I want, I will come here looking for help. That being said, I believe my dogs (4) are hundred percent better than most of the dogs in the area. You are fortunate, but I bet that at some point you may be tempted to ask help here on how to change or shape a behavior.

I agree with the general opinions posted here: BCs do not need extreme amounts of exercise. Mental exercise is as important as physical exercise. My dog is expected to settle in the house. I don't remember any advice about BCs needing 4 hours of exercise per day or running with the dog for 10 miles every day, etc.

I have though met numerous sport/AKC bred dogs at agility trials who's owners have told me they never settle, this always comes up because my boy is very driven and very fast and some assume he must be a nightmare to live with, when in reality he is a couch potato.

I have a similar experience with people who do not believe that my focused and driven agility dog is very easy to live with i.e. he settles inside the house. As an example: I have good friends - a married couple who used to have GSDs (20 years ago) and even taught some obedience back then. They currently have 2 Welsh Springer Spaniels, and she was very involved in agility (until her dogs became hurt). So one could consider them more-than-average experienced dog owners. They were over for New Year's Day dinner, and they could not believe that we could live with our hyper BC boy. I admit that he kept pestering them, but then again, they were sending him signals that invited him to keep bothering them. And - he is a BC and can be persistent. :D They did not realize what they were doing, and other than one or two comments from me about not petting him when he was being pushy (it is really, really hard to train humans), I was fascinated by watching how he was pushing their buttons. I did eventually tell him to go lie down, but even then, they still kept looking at him and talking to him in a high-pitched tone - which is a great invitation to 'go say hi' and start the pestering all over again.

I guess what I am trying to say is that many times it is not only the dog, but how one trains and interacts with one's pets and how you communicate your expectations of behavior.

Jovi

We're also lucky and crazy. We have 2 BC`s and we live in an apartment, downtown in a city! :lol: My dogs get walked usually between 1-2 hours a day (time pending) but it`s good exercise for me too and I like it. They do usually expect their walks and we do have a backyard that they get some run time in as well. But they settle well in the house and lately they`ve had no choice because of the extreme cold weather. With -30C (-22F) temps we have a 5 minute max. This is our second cold spurt like this so far this winter and the first day or 2 they`re a bit restless but we do some training and play some inside and they adapt quickly. Annie takes a bit more but she`s not even a year old yet and Tiga is 8 so...

Leonard is very handsome. I have three. One does not have an off switch. though he is ABCA registered, he was not breed with working in mind. My other two have wonderful off switches. they were both breed for work. Different dogs have different personalities, but the traits that are being bred make a difference. I know folks that breed BCs for fly ball and all their dogs are frantic, no off switch. So yes, you were lucky that you found a decent breeder.

I agree, BC's are the best dogs out there, but they are not for everyone. They are super smart, inquisitive and are bred to work with a human partner. They want to please and they try hard too. they can be noise sensitive, motion reactive, and uncertain with change - all the things that make them great working dogs can also create issues in some dogs. I have a friend that has another breed of dogs - several in the household, but wanted a herding dog, so got a BC. though he is actually very laid back and easy going, he is still a BC and very different from the breed she had. She swears she'll never get another BC and thinks they are too much work and energy for her. So perspective is also a factor.

Enjoy you handsome boy and do consider yourself lucky to have such a nice boy and have found a group of crazy people who love BCs.

2 things....

some of my noise sensitive dogs didn't develop their issues till around 2 years of age.

And PLEASE put your dog up while doing anything dangerous like snow blowing.

I had a pup about your dogs age. I was out of town on business and hubs was going to cut some wood. Started the chain saw and my pup jumped right into the blade. Cut her nose clean in half.

She lived to tell the tale but with a nice scar to show for it.

PLEASE don't trust your young pup around dangerous tools. It only takes one second of not listening or being attentive. My husband said he didn't even see the dog, she flew out from behind something. She is one of the best dogs I've owned for listening, but still it just took that one time.

I agree with Kristen. My dog did not develop noise sensitivity until later (about 4 years of age). He can work through it (i.e. he will play agility and play with me if I bring out a toy), but you can tell that he is always listening for the next loud noise, and if he is not exclusively focused on his task, he will react to a gunshot.

Re: playing with a sharp, metal can - this can slice the inside of his mouth which makes it easier for bacteria to enter his system. Since dogs are always mouthing things from the ground, they are always exposing themselves to bacteria. Dog saliva does have some anti-bacterial properties, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Dogs also love playing with empty water bottles. The crinkly sound they make drives them nuts. I suggest trying to redirect Leonard to a water bottle as a safer toy.

Definitely, do NOT rely on your verbals to always keep your dog from danger. My dog also reacts to a chain saw. He is put inside the house when we use the chain saw. Kristen's tale is a good example of what a fast BC and a microsecond of inattentiveness can result in.

Leonard sounds like a great dog, but he is displaying a couple of behaviors (that you have described) that could turn into problem behaviors as an adult dog. Some things that puppies do (and Leonard is still a pup) are very cute when they are puppies, but are definitely not appreciated once they are an adult - jumping up to greet people is a common one. It is easier to train them out of a problem behavior as a pup, rather than as an adult once the behavior has become ingrained.

Jovi

^^Agreed. Don't let "tries to commit suicide" (even tongue in cheek) become "committed suicide." There are times when he doesn't need to be with you, and those times are whenever you're operating any sort of equipment that could be a danger to him. If you wouldn't allow a toddler around whatever you're doing, then please don't allow Leonard around either. Not to mention that "cute" behaviors like "herding" the snow blower can actually become annoying and obsessive behaviors over time.

I know someone who used to run their dogs down the road while riding in their vehicle as a way to exercise the dog. I warned them that a dog can zig mighty quickly--more quickly than the human might be able to respond and hit the brake. I was told that the dogs always stayed well clear of the vehicle; that is, until one zigged and got run over. The dog survived, but it was a hard lesson for the human to learn and of course the dog did the suffering in order for the human to learn.

J.

I know someone who used to run their dogs down the road while riding in their vehicle as a way to exercise the dog.

This is a popular way to "exercise" dogs around here, and a personal pet peeve of mine as I know of several dogs (most of them border collies) came to an untimely end that way.