BC Boards

Herding lessons question (San Diego)

I just posted a question in the training forum about finding good herding lessons in the San Diego area. I'm not sure if that's the right place for my question, since instead of a livestock operation, I have a small backyard in a beach neighborhood! Please set me straight if this is really the right place to be.

Here is my question:

Are any of you taking your border collie for sheepdog training in the San Diego area? I'm wondering about opportunities for exposing my border collie Daisy to herding instruction and would love to hear about your experiences. Any input you can provide would be appreciated.

I don't have it in mind to compete or anything like that, but I think it could be a really fun activity for us. I got the chance to see two days of the Soldier Hollow Classic this year -- simply amazing and awesome. Seeing those dogs work explained a lot about Daisy's brains and personality. I don't have any illusions it would be easy, but I'd like to see if her drive to herd the cat, small children, and occasionally me could find its true outlet in an activity we could share on a regular basis.

Thanks!

Hi Shoredogs. You have come to the right palce for advice. I have recieved REALLY good stuff from this boards. Here is a link to the upcoming Sheep trials in our area. I am in SD too. There is one coming in Poway and Campo. I am sure you could get some contacts there. I am going to Orange County tomorrow and will be attending the Scottish Games there . They have sheep herding also if I find out anything about the SD area I will let you know .

I'm in La Jolla Shores (hence "ShoresDog"). It's not a neighborhood that would immediately cry "border collie country!" but we seem to be enjoying ourselves anyhow, especially those early mornings on the beach at low tide.

After many years of a cats-only household, Daisy happened to us almost two years ago. At about 18 months old, she was an informal (no organization involved) rescue brought to us by our youngest child, off to college, who seemed to think we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves with no kids at home. It hadn't even occurred to me to get a dog, but here I am now, crazy about her and thinking border collies are just the coolest critters. The funny thing is, this turns out to be the way more than a few empty-nesters get a pet. I laugh with another dog lady on the beach about how she also got her beloved dog this way.