BC Boards

Started our training

Had our first session of training last night. Wow what a class, there is a german shepherd, husky, golden lab, boxer/pitbull mix, and then there is Mya LOL, the little peanut in the group. She made fast friends with the lab right away. (I need to keep her from staring at the german shepherd, he is a barker and he did not take kindly to Mya looking at him).

We were going over the clicker training and the trainer was teaching each on how to do sit with the clicker. Every time she would tell the other dog to sit, Mya would sit, I think she has that one. I am not so sure about the trainer though, she says she has been doing it for years but kept referring to a book??.

I was cautious about how she might react to other dogs as she is the only dog here but she seemed to want to play with all of them and was very friendly. Even went up to the assistant trainer too. She did very well riding the 45 minutes over there, just sitting on her pillow and smelling the air, no barking, no whining.

I hope all the sessions go this well and the trainer is actually good and teaches us all we need to know. Below is what she looked like when we got home and after she had her dinner LOL!! One tired puppy.

post-16107-0-87185100-1398176353_thumb.jpg

I am glad everything went well.

As good as any trainer is, no trainer "can teach us all we need to know". :) I prefer to view training as a lifelong activity that widens our horizons - for both dogs and people.

I just meant the basics well enough. Makes me wonder a bit with her having to keep referring to a book throughout the class. And I look at it as money not wasted anyways because I think the socialization is very good for her not only with dogs but with the people as well. We went last Saturday and walked around a pet store and she did not even want to walk in but last night she just walked right in so it has helped already :)

Are you training at a chain pet store? I can imagine that they'd have a book outlining the basics of training which they'd base their classes around. Honestly, training basic obedience isn't rocket science so I'm not too sure why you'd need to refer to a book, but whatever works. Glad the classes are going well. Even if you & your dog already know what's being covered you can still learn more. Learning to work in distracting environments will be a boon going forward. Enjoy!

I love how well they sleep after a training class! Makes me want to get Camden back into obedience classes, it's such a great environment for the dogs to work in. I really think it helps them build focus on you in distracting situations. For now we're sticking with herding lessons and he sleeps just as sound, there's just a bit more dreaming and running in his sleep after a herding lesson then there is after an obedience class. ^_^

Congrats to you and Mya!! Sounds like it's going great. Have fun and keep us updated!! How many weeks is the class?

Are you training at a chain pet store? I can imagine that they'd have a book outlining the basics of training which they'd base their classes around. Honestly, training basic obedience isn't rocket science so I'm not too sure why you'd need to refer to a book, but whatever works. Glad the classes are going well. Even if you & your dog already know what's being covered you can still learn more. Learning to work in distracting environments will be a boon going forward. Enjoy!

Yes it is for now, but I did find another one I am going to check into for after this. They have been training for 25 years and do agility and all of it. They even train for the competitions and a lot of their dogs have won awards. We are not considering competing right now, but feel agility would be good for her down the road. She is only 7 months right now. Oh I think the socialization since we live in the country is good even if we did not learn anything but I am sure we will along the way.

I love how well they sleep after a training class! Makes me want to get Camden back into obedience classes, it's such a great environment for the dogs to work in. I really think it helps them build focus on you in distracting situations. For now we're sticking with herding lessons and he sleeps just as sound, there's just a bit more dreaming and running in his sleep after a herding lesson then there is after an obedience class. ^_^

Congrats to you and Mya!! Sounds like it's going great. Have fun and keep us updated!! How many weeks is the class?

Yes she has so far but we also have a 45 minute trip there and back too. We have to go through the obedience before getting into agility later on, she's too young right now from what I understand. It is 6 weeks for now, 1 hour every week. I was a bit nervous not knowing how she would react to the dogs but she was wonderful. She did not bark in class at all and for the most part did well. The lab and her got distracted now and again wanting to play but for the most part she did very well.