29 replies to this topic

#21 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,783 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

I expect you made the right decision - and your wife should be happy you did! 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#22 TEC

TEC

• Registered Users
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks TEC, by the way I plan on showing some pics and write something about the round up. You mentioned it some time ago.

Yes to that. Look forward to a full report. -- TEC

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - Patton

Josie eye.jpg

#23 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Just read on facebook they were forced to break off the trial (today is the second day)because of bad weather.

And this being Iceland "bad weather" probably means the dogs, sheep and handlers are in danger of getting airborne...

It most likely means the A class has not finished, and those are the best handler/dog teams.

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#24 amc

amc

• Registered Users
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

A sound decision for certain.  I too look forward to pictures from the round up!

Amy

Amy Coapman
Montague, in the State of Jefferson

#25 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,783 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

As Amy said, it sure sounds like you made the right choice!  Pictures will be appreciated. 

Just read on facebook they were forced to break off the trial (today is the second day)because of bad weather.

And this being Iceland "bad weather" probably means the dogs, sheep and handlers are in danger of getting airborne...

It most likely means the A class has not finished, and those are the best handler/dog teams.

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#26 Maxi

Maxi

• Registered Users
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:sheep, dogs, wildlife

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

^^ditto, the weather sounds really horrible, I feel sorry for the trialist, judge, organiser etc

You definitely seem to have made the right decision

Also good luck with the new dog, though it does sound from your posts as if you and Gláma have an excellent relationship with each other.

#27 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

^^ditto, the weather sounds really horrible, I feel sorry for the trialist, judge, organiser etc

You definitely seem to have made the right decision

Also good luck with the new dog, though it does sound from your posts as if you and Gláma have an excellent relationship with each other.

I realize I made it sound a bit like I got the second dog Max because I wanted to replace Gláma, this is not the case.

She is the only trained stock dog on the farm at the moment, and if anything would happen to her I would be without a dog, especially in the fall very unpractical.

I would have gotten this second one anyway, so I wouldn´t have to depend on just one dog. And to be able to spread the work load in the most work intensive period of the year.

Also I hope that I can use them together some time in the future, we will see how that works out...

As for trialing, that is just "extra" for me. That a dog is not cut out for trialing is not that important as long as they are good working dogs, that why I got into this whole thing. This goes for Gláma but also for Max, or any dog I will ever own.

But I won´t deny that clearing the course at a trial in good form would be quite the thrill, and I do hope we will get there some day....

#28 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

My madness has a caveat :)  :

*Unless severe weather is involved.

Looking forward to the pictures.

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#29 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, I read they just dropped the second day, so everybody got one run instead of the planned two.

#30 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

What a bummer :(  , it's either winter, or lambing, or haying, or gathering :(

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.