BC Boards

Scary (but thoughtful) dog behavior!

I was running around to yard sales and doing errands this morning. I brought Cricket with me because she likes to be a ride-along dog. I ran into Home Depot and when I came out, noticed that Cricket was trying hard to squeeze out the open half of the passenger window in front. (She's just 20 lbs and could probably fit, but she's usually quite content to stay in the car.) I guessed maybe she had seen a squirrel.

When I started to drive away, I noticed she was panting really hard and acting strangely. Even though it's coolish outside, I panicked and thought maybe she had overheated or gotten really thirsty while I ran into the store, So, I pulled into McDonald's at a busy intersection, took my water bottle in and filled it with water and headed back to bring it to the dog.

Only...

Cricket wasn't in the car! I thought she had hopped into the front seat, but when I called her name, I heard her tags jingling OUTSIDE the car. I hadn't noticed that the side window was rolled down about 2/3 of the way - she had jumped out.

She came right to me, and I tried to get her back in the car, but she was really reluctant to get in. Only then did I realize that she might be sick. So, I leashed her and walked her, and sure enough, she had a bad bout of the runs on the little grass strip of McDonald's.

Such a good dog - broke all the rules because she didn't want to poop in my car. So scary, though: if I had gone into McDonald's for a burger, anything could have happened to her!

I had a dog very carefully climb under a (waterproof, washable) car seat cover to have a bout of diarrhoea. Then plonk herself back down on top of the cover once done.

Could smell something awful, pulled over, dog was sitting there quite happily and nothing wrong. Only realized it once I got to our destination.

• 2 weeks later...

She's a good girl for not wanting to go inside the truck but scary she got out. It's hard to be mad at them for trying so hard to be good. Black jack would do stuff like that. I'd be outside and to avoid going in the lawn he'd go way out in the pasture to go (not like him to leave me) it would scare me to death when I couldn't find him but I couldn't get mad for him trying to be a good boy but just not knowing he shouldn't run away to poop. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are lovely tales. I think they can be quite sensitive when it comes to toiletting. Poppy would always make for somewhere just off the main track and I always felt I had to pretend not to be looking. Ben runs on ahead with a look of purpose and does it just out of sight. Plus he won't do it in the garden/yard.

Out of four dogs I've taken camping, all of them wait for walks to go potty, and keep a clean campsite in spite of the area being nothing but trees, sticks, leaves & dirt--good dogs!

I wish I could say the same about humans... :-(

• 4 weeks later...

My new BC has tried to climb over my LEFT shoulder (I am the driver) to get to me from the back seat, and every more sensible way. When she was repeatedly stopped, she managed to find the window control and rolled the window down! Before she had fully realized what she had done, I'd stopped the car and my wife had a hand on Lily's harness. Now, the windows are locked, and just today we got to try our new dog seatbelt. It's not one of those elaborate full body harnesses that straps in and keeps them upright, this one is just a tether that clips into the seatbelt buckle and had a boltsnap on the other end to clip onto her daily-wear harness. It even has an elastic section to buffer shock. The one I got is on amazon, called the "friends forever" dog seatbelt leash. Food for thought anyway.

Hi Zach,

I got a belt very similar to the one you describe, but to no avail. It took my boys about a minute the first time I used it to figure out that stepping on the seatbelt buckle would release the clip, and set them free. Now, if I try to buckle them in using it, the clip is released before the end of my driveway (around 15 feet).

Back to the drawing board

Hi Zach,

I got a belt very similar to the one you describe, but to no avail. It took my boys about a minute the first time I used it to figure out that stepping on the seatbelt buckle would release the clip, and set them free. Now, if I try to buckle them in using it, the clip is released before the end of my driveway (around 15 feet).

My dog also, I believe inadvertently, unclipped herself once (since my previous post), so I'm also considering whether I need something different. darn. There is another style that clips to to TOPS of the back seats, though I haven't pulled th trigger on one yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zach,

They're pretty quick, so maybe this won't matter. But, I solved my dog's occasional unbuckling by using a second seatbelt leash that clips to the first one. That way, she has to unclip both to get out. And, because my other dog lays down on the other side of the car seat, she doesn't have access to the other buckle.

The last thought, in some newer cars there are seat belt-like buckles behind the seat to secure a car seat for kids. You might just try clipping or tying into that and threading the leash up between the seats of you can.