BC Boards

American Border Collie magazine

I was just looking at the list of folks going to the Nationals and noticed that the editor of American Border Collie has qualified four of his dogs (2 in open, 2 in Nursery) for the finals.

Since subscriptions to the magazine have subsidized his trialling efforts, that means that his subscribers are really sponsors :D:rolleyes:

So, for all you sponsors of the editor who will be at the Finals, I hope you seek him out, congratulate him for his efforts and tell him how glad you are to be his sponsors. Maybe then, he'd change the still active "subscription" page of the magazine to a sponsorship page.

It's not the money that makes me so happy to be his sponsor, but the honest and admirable way in which the business of gaining sponsorship was conducted (including the message I received in Jan. telling me that my first issue of the magazine had been printed and sent out.....I guess there really is no redress for gullibility....).

Exactly, considering that there are plenty of us who paid for a subscription and didn't really get a magazine. So, I guess you're right, we sponsored his trialing. :rolleyes:

Kathy

I know I'm a bit slow so please forgive my question.....Are you guys saying you paid for a subscription to the magazine and didn't get one? The reason I ask is because at one time I thought about subscribing the the ABCM but before I did, I sent an email asking how many issues a year is there and never received a reply back.

Wow! Sounds like he also has a couple of brass ones as well.....

But then again, I use to work for a national newspaper and I had to deal with a lot of local newspapers. The editors were always the last to know about circulation problems. They're more concerned about circulation numbers. Maybe Robin's right. It might be a good idea to let him know about your missing issues. Especially, if you let him know you aren't going to be renewing.

I think it would be a waste of time to "let him know about your missing issues". He knows all about that as he took the money, hasn't produced and delivered the product, and is actively trialling when he should be ashamed to hold up his head in "his public".

It would surely have been worthwhile for him to admit to whatever publishing/production problem that he couldn't (wouldn't?) overcome, make an apology to subscribers, and remove the subscription page from his website. It's the blatant pursuit of trialling, ignoring of emails and inquiries, and pretense that nothing ever happened that surely irks me, along with destroying the reputation of a fine magazine.

A sincere apology sure beats ignoring a problem.

I'm sure a complaint or two or twenty filed with the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office in his state wouldn't hurt either.

The Attorney General enforces state and federal consumer protection laws, keeping Virginians safe from things like identity theft, consumer fraud and telemarketing scams, and enforces antitrust laws that protect businesses and consumers from behavior that defeats healthy competition. The Attorney General also provides consumer alerts and educational materials that are designed to increase consumer awareness of scams, and help our citizens, particularly our seniors, protect themselves. When there is a pattern of deception or other wrongdoing, the Attorney General is authorized to take action to stop the illegal conduct, and, where appropriate, seek refunds for affected consumers.

Jodi