BC Boards

Herding Training Question

Neeko101

Welcome!

My basic advice to anyone who asks is (in general) to go to someone who trains and trials successfully in USBCHA-sanctioned trials at the Open level, and to avoid someone who is either only running (or has only run) dogs at lower levels in USBCHA-type trials; who is actively involved in and/or promoting AKC "herding" events and registers (or dual-registers) their dogs with AKC (and, of course, conformation showing - read the "Read this first" sticky and you will understand why, if you have not already); who is an "all-breed" trainer (in general, those who are, are involved with AKC or other venues primarily); and people who have a list of "titles" on their dogs but not USBCHA-sanctioned trial achievements (again, because this will reflect AKC, and other venue, emphasis - and most titles are fairly meaningless).

However, I must temper these caveats with the fact that there are some excellent trainers who will work with other breeds; and there are some excellent trainers/handlers who are involved with AKC (and my objection, as in the "Read this first" is largely philsophical or political - I don't choose to support them for those reasons).

You should hear from Kathy Flynn (she's on these boards) as she is located in MN and might be able to point you towards either a good trainer and/or good clinicians within a reasonable distance for you. By the way, MN is a big state and knowing the area where you live might help people give better recommendations.

It is important to find a trainer who is not only capable, competent, and experienced but also one who is compatible with yourself and your dog, in order to get you started well and to help bring out the potential in both of you. And to find a trainer who will be honest with you, about your dog's and your potential, progress, and shortcomings.

Best wishes! I am sure others will chime in with their good comments.

PS - Kathy's published contact info is Kathy Flynn; Cannon Falls, MN; sognvalleybc at citlink.net; 507 263 4767

Hello and welcome!

There are some members of the Wisconsin Working Stock Dog Association (WWSDA) that are from MN and their website also usually lists activities that are in MN, too.

http://www.wwsda.org/

There are two good USBCHA trials in MN that I know of (off the top of my head):

1.) The Upper Midwest Stock Dog Challenge in Jordan MN

2.) The Star of the North SDT in Minnetrista MN

Good luck!

Hi Neeko,

You should definitely come out to the Upper Midwest Stockdog Challenge in Jordan MN next weekend. Most of the handlers from MN will be there and it's a good trial. It's right across the street from the Scott Co. Fairgrounds so there's the fair to visit too.

Make sure to introduce yourself to some of the local handlers (pretty much anyone who is scribing, setting sheep, posting scores etc) and we'll try to get you in touch with someone who can help you out.

Pearse

Thanks for all the responses. I have been doing dog agility for 8 years, I want to branch off. Herding is something I have always wanted to do.

I'm going to check out the Upper Midwest Stock dog Challenge in Jordan MN next weekend, and also look into some of the trainers that were recommended.

I'm going to check out the Upper Midwest Stock dog Challenge in Jordan MN next weekend, and also look into some of the trainers that were recommended.

Enjoy, make good contacts, and remember that volunteers (of any sort) are generally gratefully appreciated (plus, helping out is a great way to meet good people).

Archived