BC Boards

Extremely dry nose

Well, it's been a while since I've been on here. Sorry guys, life caught up with me!

Anyway, poor Maddy's nose is extremely dry and I have no idea what to do about it. She drinks a lot of water, and she always has water available 24/7 but her nose is still dry and cracked. Anything I can put on it to ease the dryness? :rolleyes:

Guest SweetJordan

You can try using some 'Ayr' which is a saline nasal gel w/ aloe. You can use it on the outside and inside of the nose. Some olive oil used on the outside of the nose works as well. I have never used the vit. E oil as suggested above, but I'm sure that would work just as well.

If it's cold where you live you might also want to try a cool air humidifier in the room where Maddy sleeps at night.

Also, I know that everyone says that this is a myth but in my own experience I have never had a dog w/ a dry nose who wasn't sick.

Also, I know that everyone says that this is a myth but in my own experience I have never had a dog w/ a dry nose who wasn't sick.

Not really a myth, but dogs keep their nose wet when they are healthy and active. I have always believed (though never seen confirmed) that it helps them locate the source of a scent (kind of wind direction indicator, if you will). Dogs that are not well don't lick their nose -- because they are not so active. That's my understanding, at least.

Guest SweetJordan
Not really a myth, but dogs keep their nose wet when they are healthy and active. I have always believed (though never seen confirmed) that it helps them locate the source of a scent (kind of wind direction indicator, if you will). Dogs that are not well don't lick their nose -- because they are not so active. That's my understanding, at least.

Well I no longer deem it to be a myth.

Just curious to where you got your info. about dogs licking their noses? I have never heard that. Curious because I have one dog who can't lick food off of the top of his nose, or acts like he can't anyway. Never really noticed that, but then again not something that I've ever looked for. Except for after they eat I have noticed that they do that.

The scent thing makes sense. And I'm a bit more curious about this topic in general now.

Chesney frequently has a dry nose when he is just hanging out in the house. Its warm and not chapped/dry and cracked, and I know he is healthy. When we first got back to California for the first time after being in Louisiana for a semester his nose did get chapped I think because he kept licking it (kind of like our lips) so I figured Chap stick would help. After putting some unscented stuff on his nose it went away in a couple of days.

I also have noticed that increasing the boys fish oil daily has helped with dry skin in general. Maybe that might help too.