BC Boards

lying down at the top

kimkathan

While I can't always find the time to read everything written... and, admittedly, don't post a bunch in comparison to some, I think it's a shame when contributors leave (with the exception of those who arrive on scene solely to cause trouble, which is certainly not the case here).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also missed the smiley and apolgize, though I had no judgemental mindset operating when I wrote my response. I simply couldn't resist the temptation to respond, because the running joke at last weekend's clinic was teasing Jack for not being Kathy so it was pretty funny to see the subject pop up here again.

When Patrick and I started training together - both Steve and Jack had long talks with us about not touching each other's dogs and not interfering with troubleshooting sessions - even if begged to do so. What we've settled on doing, since we have limited access to outside help now, is video taping each other's training sessions and then having a relaxed chat about it while reviewing it - MUCH later. :rolleyes: It's much easier to accept advice when you are watching yourself and seeing (or hearing) what your helpmate is seeing.

>>>I just wanted you all to know that I taught my husband everything he knows too. <<<

I am still working on mine BUT I did get him to get up every morning and make me a pot of coffee...but it might have had to do something with the one time I made coffee, it was so weak.....he tossed it out and from that day on, he makes the coffee.

...back on the training topic....sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes for you to see what you are doing wrong.

On a side note of a novice working with a dog and not knowing anything... Jeff had to use my new dog Scotty to get some range sheep that needed to get to the feeder. He got Scotty, opened the gate, sshssed him and then waited until Scotty got the sheep....there was one stray, he pointed his finger over in the general direction, said something like "you forgot one" and Scotty got that one too. Ron, my friend saw all of this and was amazed since I had just got Scotty and Scotty up to this point had ignored Jeff.

What training did Jeff have....NONE, NADA, ZIPPO, ...he watched a few trials, saw some tapes and saw me work on the farm.

I asked Jeff why he pointed his finger to the stray sheep and his answer was...."well i didn't need to tell him to look back, flank and then stop him when a finger pointing and telling him he forgot one would do."

Diane

I never posted here because as I have said before, when it comes to training herding dogs, I am as green as turnip tops. But, I was surfing around the different topics to see what new stuff was there when I noticed this thread had jumped to 3 pages. WOW must be some great stuff being posted. What a surprise!

Not too long ago a thread was started about dogs in the back of pickups. We went from that to the war between the states(don't wanna get in trouble again :rolleyes: )to gun laws, to highway safety, to wrecks, to dogs seen falling out of trucks, to abortion, to segregation, to big brother watching us, to stupid labels on stuff to crosses on the roads. Sides were taken, lines were drawn. We were ingaged! And enraged! And I thought well I ain't posting here any more. These people probly think I am some kind a nut(well, I am sometimes)or that I am baracaded in my house with 20 guns pointed at whoever, or a secret(they all are)memeber of the KKK. So I just didn't post. But after awhile, I started checking the board. I smiled at the new pics. I laughed at some posts, felt the pain of others. But when I had that terrible day of training with Jackson, I posted it. And you know what happened? Some of the same people we were in a heated debate with, offered advice, encouragement, and hope to ME!

My point is, GR and KillerH, don't stop posting on the boards. This is a really great board with some really great people. Sometimes the ideas we want to get across don't quite make it through cyberspace exactly as we intended. And sometimes we feel as if no one is really listening. And we all have little quirks that only our better halfs can put up with. (bless their little pea-picken hearts)But let someone have a prob, or hit a rough spot, and people will be there with encouragement, some advice, and well wishes. Sometimes even puppy kisses! As I said before to a new comer, there are lots of great people on these boards and one grumpy person. I said I couldn't say who the grumpy person was cuz it changed daily! :D We all had a great laugh with that one, everyone claiming to be the grumpy one! The point is we ALL have our days. And we all have different ways of saying things. And sometimes peoples personalities rub someone the wrong way. That doesn't mean the person doesn't have good advice. Sometimes we don't agree with someones advice. That doesn't invalidate either advice. We are people from many different walks of life with many different life experiences. To say that there is only ONE way to do anything when it comes to training, IMO, is not true. Dogs are as varied in what will work with them as there are opinions on fixing a prob.

The point is, GR and KillerH, and others who maybe thinking of not posting, we all have something to contribute, something that may be just the thing for someone. Take a few days to cool off if you want, but don't just quit. I love this board and respect the people on it. I appreciate the advice I get. Some I use, some I don't. But it is there for the taking.

If nothing else, go hug yer dogs, that'll make ya feel better no matter what.