BC Boards

Eye discharge - 2 dogs..

KrisK

Both Cricket & Dusty have a greenish discharge from their eyes - Cricket in one eye, and Dusty in both eyes. So far, no signs of it in Flint. They don't appear to have red eyes, nor do they seem particularly bothered by it. We have been taking the dogs swimming to one of the nearby lakes. Is it possible that they have picked up some sort of bacterial infection?

So far, I've just washed their eyes with warm water. I'll have to see if I have any saline solution available.

any thoughts?

I don't remember what it is called but I do remember my vet some years ago telling me that greenish pus/discharge was indicative of a particular type of bacteria. So my gut feeling would be an infection by that particular type of bacteria for both dogs, but I am not a vet, of course.

Do you have any antibiotic eye ointment, without steroids? If so, I'd use that.

I have some allergy type eye drops, but will definitely pick up some antibiotic eye ointment on Monday. I wish I could get some tonight or tomorrow, but all the stores will be closed tomorrow due to a planned power outage. Hopefully, it won't get any worse since the closest vet is 150 km away.

thanks Sue

I don't know if it would be useful but what about boric acid solution to wipe away the gunk and flush the eye? Boric acid (in the proper dilution) is an often-recommended eye wash (at least it was when I was a bit younger).

Good luck with it!

From Wikipedia, but I don't know how accurate it is -

Pus is sometimes green because of the presence of myeloperoxidase, an intensely green antibacterial protein produced by some types of white blood cells. Green, foul-smelling pus is found in certain infections of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The greenish color is a result of the pyocyanin bacterial pigment it produces.

And from pets.webmd.com -

Mucus, yellow-green pus, or a watery eye discharge can all be signs of conjunctivitis, an inflammation of the lining of your dog's eye. There's a wide range of causes for conjunctivitis, from allergies, injury, birth defects, and tear duct problems, to foreign matter, dry eye, distemper, or even tumors. Other signs of conjunctivitis include very red eyes, inflammation, blinking too much, squinting, crusty eyes, pawing at the eyes, or keeping the eyes closed.

To treat conjunctivitis, it's important to learn what's causing it. Depending on the cause, treatment can include: removing the irritant and soothing the area with pain medication; antibiotics and saline washes to manage infection; surgery to treat duct problems or birth defects; antihistamines for allergies; or other medications.

You can get bacterial infections in the eye from swimming, if the water has a high load I. E. stagnant water or water that has been warm for days. It's even more common to pick up eye infections from what's blowing in the wind, where I'm at, but I really don't know how regional that is.

I have some allergy type eye drops, but will definitely pick up some antibiotic eye ointment on Monday. I wish I could get some tonight or tomorrow, but all the stores will be closed tomorrow due to a planned power outage. Hopefully, it won't get any worse since the closest vet is 150 km away.

thanks Sue

Caveat: I'm not a vet. Terramycin antibiotic ointment is available w/out a prescription from 1800 pet meds, Drs. Foster and Smith, and other online outlets if you can't find anything local or get to a vet. I used it for a Dachshund with chronic dry eye predisposing him to bacterial infections before my vet put him on the immunosuppressant, cyclosporine (which helped keep his eyes free from infection).

If it is just irritation we use GenTeal eye gel, (not the drops); I also have terramycin and fucithalymic (sp?) from the vet for minor eye irrations. Clean it out using eye bright or an eye wash from the drug store and put in the Genteal eye gel...i'm not a vet but that works for me

Cynthia

If it is just irritation we use GenTeal eye gel, (not the drops); I also have terramycin and fucithalymic (sp?) from the vet for minor eye irrations. Clean it out using eye bright or an eye wash from the drug store and put in the Genteal eye gel...i'm not a vet but that works for me

Cynthia

I second the Genteal eye gel. My pup and I shared a bottle since I have chronic dry eye as well.

ETA: I wouldn't recommend the sharing part, but I was in a fix, and the tip never touched the dog!

Thanks for the information.. I'll be sure to pick those things up this week. Since I didn't have anything at home, I reverted to an old folk remedy...cool steeped tea. I remember my mom using this if we had a 'sty' on our eyes. It worked beautifully for Dusty and his eyes were cleared up last night. As for Cricket, she still has some gunk, but I couldn't get near her with the tea! Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it seemed to work.