BC Boards

Teething

Annie is now about 5 1/2 months old and the teething has started. I can see the molars coming in and there's blood and redness. She's been pawing at her face and crying randomly and I know that's why. I've been giving her ice cubes and I've frozen cloths for her to chew on. Any other suggestions on how to make this easier on her?

Huh. None of mine have ever carried on with such dramatics.

I just have lots of chew toys around the house for them. Various textures/hardness so that they can choose what feels best. You are already doing the frozen washcloths, which would have been my other suggestion.

It's really not that big of a deal. Don't baby her and give her lots of stuff to chew on. Bully sticks or rawhides (supervise closely!) tend to go over well during this time.

Although my dog never showed adverse reactions to teething when he was a pup, I used a cloth 'bone' that was soaked in water and then frozen as a toy for him to chew on. Supposedly the cold/frozen 'bone' helped to numb their gums for a short while. I purchased the 'bone' in a big box petstore. It was made of a tough twill-like material and stuffed with ?. The directions on the label indicated it was for teething.

Jovi

I recommend bully sticks, for one. Petsmart sells them all for the same price here, but the thickness/size varies, something to keep in mind. Kongs filled with frozen yogurt/peanut butter are a good option so she can gnaw on the Kong to squeeze it out, and it since it's cold it'll help numb her mouth. I'm not fond of rawhide chews, because they get soggy pretty fast. I hear Nylabone makes some good teething toys.

I've also heard of some sort of cloth bone that you freeze, it has a sponge inside canvas? Upon searching, 'Chilly Bone' seems to be what I'm talking about.

Make sure whatever room she is in she has something of 'hers' to chew on, or she'll choose something of 'yours'.

Ice cubes, ice cubes, ice cubes--we went through a ridiculous amount of ice cubes, and he still acts like a wiggly puppy when he gets one and he's two, now.

But in hindsight I would have frozen more meat juices and broths, not just water.

I second the frozen Kong and frozen bones, they helped LOADS.

Thanks everyone. We've been giving frozen kongs, ice cubes and the frozen cloths. She seems to be a bit better today. She's not bleeding and the gums are less red. I guess we're doing all the right things. I may go look for one of the frozen "bone" chew toys as well.